IGNORED

Glue

Pitfall Harry

I have a few Atari cartridges that have had their end labels fall off due to normal age breakdown of the glue that originally attached them. I've finally decided to re-attach the fallen labels, but I was wondering if there was any consensus yet on what the best glue is to use for the job. Two things I worry about: will it hold for 40 years like the original Atari glue, and is it resistant to the build up of Acti-plaque over time? I have it on authority that the best glue to re-affix a Frostbite label is Ig glue, but that's all I know.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear all suggestions.

-Ben

I reattached mine using a glue stick, since that's what I learned on a how-to video.

I did not use an especially good quality gluestick, though. Really you should find one that's certified as "archival." What makes a glue archival is it has no acids that will alter the color of what it is applied to AND it can be easily removed with water if an archivist decides removing it is necessary.

There are archival quality glue sticks if you want to take the time to search them out.

Edited by Glorkbot
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

I just started using 3M Super 77.  It works on multiple surfaces and dries clear.  So far it has worked great, but I won't know the long term for awhile. 

3M Super 77 is definitely not archival quality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

I just started using 3M Super 77.  It works on multiple surfaces and dries clear.  So far it has worked great, but I won't know the long term for awhile. 

Super 77 will absolutely adhere X to Y in a surprising number of applications; I've used it on automotive interiors, surface protection, and more.  However:

4 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

3M Super 77 is definitely not archival quality.

This is 100% true.  One long-term consideration with it is that it may end up seeping through paper (i.e., the cartridge labels) over time.  You'll know if this is happening because what look like oily patches coming up from under the surface of the label will start to appear.

Now, there's no 100% guarantee that that will happen - but glue sticks generally work best in my experience, and I have seen Super 77 behave as described.  YMMV.

36 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

You'll know if this is happening because what look like oily patches coming up from under the surface of the label will start to appear.

For that authentic Activision vibe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If the image on the label is still in good shape, I also use glue sticks. I’m however, not a stickler for 100% original so if the image is poor or the glue has obviously seeped through like on activation titles, I just replace it with a brand new reproduction. 

5 hours ago, Pitfall Harry said:

Glue sticks seem to be the frontrunner here.  What I was really hoping for, though, was to hear from somebody who re-glued some labels 20 years ago or so and can tell us what glue they used and how it's holding up so far.  Anyone?

-Ben

Glue sticks FTW :D

Seriously, though: I've been using glue sticks on labels for decades.  While other adhesives have been tried, glue sticks are the overall winner in terms of bang for the buck.  I've also yet to see one cause damage.

Granted, it may be necessary to go back at some point and re-apply the glue, but that mainly seems to come down to the type of label used, the cartridge plastic in question, and how well it can all be cleaned before application.  This is something that happens on the order of years, typically, so it's a reasonable tradeoff for keeping things in nice shape.

A small paint roller is also recommended for flattening out the label after reattaching it; it just helps to get the label down more completely.

43 minutes ago, LS650 said:

I have some labels that I used an Elmer's Glue Stick on as many as 15 years ago, and they have zero markings or mottling.

That's good enough for me! Ima gonna go buy the Elmer's Glue Stick.

Thanks for your response.

-Ben