IGNORED

Where to buy TI99/4a keyboard?

So I recently got a huge TI99/4A and it powers up and looks great, but the Mylar keyboard is busted. I've read in the forums that it's much better just to swap it out, which I'm more than willing to do. But the issue is I can't seem to find any for sale out there. Where do y'all find them? I was considering buying another TI99 cheap,, but there's no guarantee that keyboard works either. Suggestions?

Also, if anyone is in the Raleigh/Durham NC area I have a bare bones peripheral expansion box that I'll let go relatively cheap. I'd just rather not ship something that heavy.

• Like 2

Checkout Arcade Shopper:

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/Keyboards-and-adapters/c/23836460

On 3/7/2024 at 8:30 PM, pcoleff said:

Where do y'all find them?

Most people here probably have more than one 99/4A, and lots of random spare parts.  I'm a little surprised no one replied before me.

Of course rip-off ebay has them (~$38), but people seem to think "retro" and "vintage" means $$$, and that everyone is a museum or flush with cash and stupid.  The 99/4A keyboards were also available as generic keyboards from Radio Shack, and I see some new-old-stock of those on ebay for those (but $65 is insane!)

TI made a lot of 99/4A consoles, so look around a little bit.  It is usually pretty easy to get one cheap for parts.

• Like 1

One important note on keyboards: brown circuit card=mylar matrix=not likely to work anymore, NOS or not. Green circuit card=individual keys=generally still in working condition.

The key tops on mylar ones are also shaped differently: very square corners. All other types have somewhat rounded corners. . .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A USB keyboard adapter from ArcadeShopper might be a good investment, if you can get hold of one and don't mind installing it.  The Web-site says "sold out," but the description says it will be built on order.  You'd have to provide 5V and ground to the adapter.

I would also suggest getting the cable that plugs in to the motherboard, to make installation and wiring easier.  I made my own cable.  If you use a radio-keyboard you don't have to cut a hole in the console for an external connector.

My keyboard cable snapped when I was doing some console surgery a few weeks ago.  I plugged-in my USB radio-keyboard (Logitech K270) and was able to continue my work.

K-R.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

A USB keyboard adapter from ArcadeShopper might be a good investment, if you can get hold of one and don't mind installing it.  The Web-site says "sold out," but the description says it will be built on order.  You'd have to provide 5V and ground to the adapter.

I would also suggest getting the cable that plugs in to the motherboard, to make installation and wiring easier.  I made my own cable.  If you use a radio-keyboard you don't have to cut a hole in the console for an external connector.

My keyboard cable snapped when I was doing some console surgery a few weeks ago.  I plugged-in my USB radio-keyboard (Logitech K270) and was able to continue my work.

K-R.

Problem is the teensy's are no longer being made.. so we either need to find a stash of them.. OR redesign for something newer.. the benefit of that teensy is it's 5v tolerance.. while the newer models are not 5v tolerant..

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Problem is the teensy's are no longer being made.. so we either need to find a stash of them.. OR redesign for something newer.. the benefit of that teensy is it's 5v tolerance.. while the newer models are not 5v tolerant..

I will say that I bought 4 teensy 4.0's, which are still in stock and built 4 of the Jedimatt style keyboard adapters. The 4.0's are still in stock. These work well in place of the 3.2 series. same footprint

Teensy.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
additional content
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

I will say that I bought 4 teensy 4.0's, which are still in stock and built 4 of the Jedimatt style keyboard adapters. The 4.0's are still in stock. These work well in place of the 3.2 series. same footprint

Teensy.jpg

I've forwarded that to Jedimatt42 for his confirmation and ordered a couple to try.

Greg

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help! It looks like the keyboard at arcadeshopper are sold out unfortunately 😕 I do have a line on a local person for a replacement keyboard though. I tried the "lift and re-attach" method I saw online and that helped, kind of. Definitely more keys started working, but not all. But yea, the mylar here looks a little like the ones I would see when I was fixing up my old Intellivision controller and that was a PIA too (but no real alternative there). 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 1:54 AM, matthew180 said:

The 99/4A keyboards were also available as generic keyboards from Radio Shack

I have one that is still in the bag from the 80's. Way back when I lived in Colorado. :)

A word of caution if going down the 'buying another TI99/4A' to use for donor parts. I've got 6 4As at the moment, 2 of them work fine and are my main consoles, 2 of them have keyboard issues and 2 have really crappy looking cases.

My intention was to swap the working keyboards from the crappy cases into the 2 with keyboard issues......Turns out the keyboard screw mounting holes are in different positions, so just something to bear in mind.

• Sad 2

On 3/11/2024 at 7:50 PM, pcoleff said:

Thank you all for your help! It looks like the keyboard at arcadeshopper are sold out unfortunately 😕 I do have a line on a local person for a replacement keyboard though. I tried the "lift and re-attach" method I saw online and that helped, kind of. Definitely more keys started working, but not all. But yea, the mylar here looks a little like the ones I would see when I was fixing up my old Intellivision controller and that was a PIA too (but no real alternative there). 

you should always ask if I am sold out of something..  I sometimes have stock that's not in the store and the best way to find out is to ask :)  I just found out more parts may be available to build more of these ..

Greg