IGNORED

2600 Kiosk Control Panel...wasn't looking for it, don't "need" it...but I found it, so I bought it!

doubledown

So I got this via FedEx today:

RatPVb.jpg

I have no intention of owning another kiosk (I use to own a ColecoVision one), nor do I intend on building a reproduction cabinet for this control panel...but a poorly advertised ebay auction, with a pretty cheap BIN...can be a evil temptress.  As I build arcade type controllers, I do, with some regularity, search ebay in the "Collectibles" section (where arcade games/parts are listed), for original/authentic/rare arcade controls...joysticks, pushbuttons...and the likes.  I'm usually not looking for anything specific...I just have a few keywords that I search for, and then I'll comb through the listings when I have some time, to see if I can find anything unique or cool.  So last week I was on the hunt, and came across this auction for a populated control panel...for an "unknown" game.  The word Atari was not in the listing title, nor anywhere in the description.  It was visible, however, in one of the pictures that showed a close up of the controller cable connectors...as it's molded right into the connector ends.  Now, as soon as I saw the preview picture, I knew exactly what it was.  I looked over the pics to verify the control hardware was in good shape (at least what I want of it), and "Bought It Now!"  

So, why did I buy it...well, about 3 years ago, I built this for myself:

uVLn2B.png

...my homage to the Video Game Selection Center kiosks.  When I built this controller, I figured, I was never going to get one of the original kiosk joysticks, so I substituted my joystick of choice...and added a CX-40-esque hex lever knob that I machined, and coated with Plasti-Dip.  So, my current plan, is to salvage the control hardware from the control panel, install one set into my controller, and for now, probably put the other set in a box.  That being said, if there is someone out there, who really needs/wants this control panel, I could be persuaded to part with it unmolested...for the good of the collector community...and historical significance.  This appears to be the version, that came with the kiosks that didn't have the "game brain", as it does not have the 3 volcano buttons in the front right corner...but rather has button plugs installed.  I do know that the original volcano buttons are pretty rare/expensive, but reproductions are available from Arcade Shop.  So if someone needs/wants this original panel for a restoration or reproduction project, send me a PM and we can discuss.  The control hardware is all intact, but the joysticks will need a bit of a rebuild...probably new grommets, and some cleaning/adjusting of the leaf switches.  I'm not sure about the status of the potentiometers (haven't tested anything yet), but they do turn, and the entire wire harness seems to be wholly intact.  

If no one needs/wants this as/is, then I'll salvage the hardware as I had planned, and will get rid of the panel itself.  If that's what I end up doing, then anybody who wants the panel (unpopulated, at least with the joysticks removed), then I'd be happy to sell it for $1 (OBO), plus shipping.  If not, it will simply end up in my dumpster at work.  

• Like 1