IGNORED

Another new arcade joystick enclosure/controller option

doubledown

Recently I was building a big Track & Field controller, and whilst looking for small enclosures, to also make a small T&F controller (similar to the originals), I came across a new enclosure that I haven't used before.  I ordered a couple of samples to test out, and sure enough, they are in fact, big enough, to install legitimate arcade hardware into...so I thought I'd build a few.  I thought I'd start off with a few basic models, so presenting my:

2600 Edition - VVG Ergo¹ Controller

7wwW98.png

XL Edition  - VVG Ergo¹ Controller

MvbFtb.png

"Space Fighter" Edition - VVG Ergo¹ Controller

lB6qC5.png

All 3 above, are basically the same...just 3 different color/theme variations.  Each was built into a PolyCase AG-85 molded ABS enclosure, and are assembled with my VVG modified, iL PSM-30 microswitch joystick, and an Ultimarc GoldLeaf pushbutton.  The 2600 & "Space Fighter" versions were built into black enclosures, while the XL is a duo-tone, with an almond bottom half, and a black top half.  The enclosures themselves are a 3-piece design (top half, bottom half, & rear panel), and have molded-in accommodations on the bottom for adhesive backed rubber "feet", 1/2" diameter or smaller.  The enclosure itself is very nice.  Small, yes...but its rounded/sloped/curved overall design, is very comfortable where ever your hand "hangs" over an edge, as all of the edges are very smooth and rounded, and short.  For size reference, the enclosure itself is 7.5" wide, 5" deep (front to back), 1.75" tall at the control surface center (w/ 1.5" internal height), and 1.25" tall on the lower flat surfaces on each side.  Its molded with 2 top options...either with a "recessed / smooth" center section, or a " flat / textured" center section.  I chose the recessed / smooth variant, as the smooth surface is much better for the adhesion of the CPO artwork.  Additionally, when I was working with the hardware/controls layout...I tried something else...and found out that this is also an option:

7800 Edition - VVG Ergo² Controller

V4ID5I.png

Switching from the Ultimarc GoldLeaf pushbutton, to Sanwa OBSF-24 pushbuttons (w/ A.S. Classic Concave Caps), allows for the installation of 2 pushbuttons...which could be wired either for 7800 compatibility, Joy2b+ (2-button) compatibility, or 1 "Fire" button, and the 2nd pushbutton wired as a joystick input...such as UP for Jump, or similar.  

I've got a few other ideas for this enclosure, including a dual-wiring scheme DX option, wherein at the push of a 6PDT latching switch, the controller can be wired to the "Atari" standard, or switched, to either compatibility with the TI99/4A, or the Magnavox Odyssey², or any other "simple" wiring standard...to negate the need a wiring adapter, or a separate controller, for use on one of these other consoles/computers.  

Additionally, it will also work as a 3 pushbutton T&F controller....with legitimate, arcade flipper pushbuttons with leaf-switches.  I've got to get some parts on order for this version, and then determine, If I want to dye the enclosure blue or not...like the originals.  More to come (probably)...enjoy!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Zonie said:

Nice. I may use that case for a Rocket Launch controller...

They have 3 different sizes in this series...the AG-85 I used, is the largest...LINK

Each available in black or almond, and luckily for me...they sell direct, and they are in Ohio as I am...so ground shipping gets it to me next day...even with late afternoon/evening orders.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, doubledown said:

They have 3 different sizes in this series...the AG-85 I used, is the largest...LINK

Each available in black or almond, and luckily for me...they sell direct, and they are in Ohio as I am...so ground shipping gets it to me next day...even with late afternoon/evening orders.  

Thats cool. I'm using one of their DIN rail boxes for two of my automation products...

Oh I want one of these:)

The 7800 edition. Would or could that model be set up to act like a Genesis controller for two button games? I'm thinking specifically of the newish Lode Runner game for the 2600 that takes advantage of that functionality. 

23 minutes ago, discotronic said:

Oh I want one of these:)

The 7800 edition. Would or could that model be set up to act like a Genesis controller for two button games? I'm thinking specifically of the newish Lode Runner game for the 2600 that takes advantage of that functionality. 

The 7800 Edition - ERGO²...ideally would be wired for 7800 2-button compatibility (as its artwork is complimentary to the 7800 console)...but it could alternately be wired for 2600 2-button compatibility (Joy2b+ / Genesis control pad).  Alternately, slightly different artwork could be used for a 2600 Edition - ERGO², 2-button variant (more akin to the 2600 Edition - Ergo¹ artwork, or with the CX-40 joystick surrounding detailing, or woodgrain perhaps)...versus the "simulated silver" of the 7800 edition...but the artwork doesn't make any functional difference obviously.  I also made myself a custom themed H.E.R.O. Edition - ERGO² for the 2600, wherein the 2nd button is an additional "Joystick Down" input...for setting dynamite in H.E.R.O. and HERO 2 (and releasing vines in Pitfall, and quickly ducking in Keystone Kapers...and for others)...I just haven't photographed/posted it yet.  If you're interested in one, just me a PM and we can discuss further.  

2 minutes ago, doubledown said:

The 7800 Edition - ERGO²...ideally would be wired for 7800 2-button compatibility (as its artwork is complimentary to the 7800 console)...but it could alternately be wired for 2600 2-button compatibility (Joy2b+ / Genesis control pad).  Alternately, slightly different artwork could be used for a 2600 Edition - ERGO², 2-button variant (more akin to the 2600 Edition - Ergo¹ artwork, or with the CX-40 joystick surrounding detailing, or woodgrain perhaps)...versus the "simulated silver" of the 7800 edition...but the artwork doesn't make any functional difference obviously.  I also made myself a custom themed H.E.R.O. Edition - ERGO² for the 2600, wherein the 2nd button is an additional "Joystick Down" input...for setting dynamite in H.E.R.O. and HERO 2 (and releasing vines in Pitfall, and quickly ducking in Keystone Kapers...and for others)...I just haven't photographed/posted it yet.  If you're interested in one, just me a PM and we can discuss further.  

That sounds awesome. PM coming soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

A fellow AA member contacted me about building him a 2-button, 2600 version (Joy2B+ / Genesis compatible), ERGO² controller, so here's that:

ioqoku.png

fG8ABZ.png

We opted for an orange iL shaft cover / dust washer, and an orange Sanwa LB-35 ball knob...along with Sanwa OBSF-24 black pushbutton bodies, with orange A.S. Classic Concave Caps...which I feel looks pretty snazzy.  

iL also makes these shaft covers / dust washers in a few other colors too:

baqCzF.jpg

In addition to black, red, orange, green, and blue...they are also made in yellow and purple.  But at the time of my order, the manufacturer (iL) didn't have them in stock, so I would have had to order their minimum order quantities, of either 50 or 100 of each, versus the (10) of each, that I did order, of the colors that they had in stock.  I really want the yellow ones (favorite color of mine, and would looks great for a Pac-man theme), so maybe I'll bite the bullet and get them at some point, who knows.  

Speaking of colors, here are all of the colors that the Sanwa OBSF-24 pushbuttons and A.S. Classic Concave Caps are available in:

APmVGF.jpg

The transparent/clear colors are at the top half, and the solid colors are bottom half...all can be mixed and matched, and matching ball knobs are available for all of the solid colors, and sometimes available for the transparent/clear colors.  

• Like 2