IGNORED

why isn't VIC Mail program working with SD2IEC after a few program changes?

As an approach to using minimal memory, as you are asking the user to type in the filename rather than a numbered list of choices, I would not use an array to load the directory and simply display each directory entry you come across.

Additionally, since you only want to deal with SEQuential files, the pseudo-file to open for the directory will be "$*=S" or "$0:*=S"

Posted (edited)

@OLD CS1...  I am getting closer and closer I think to getting this thing to work, but I still have a few things to fix, because I saw I unfortunately created another splat file. I was hoping not to abandon this project (as I/we all decided it was best to do with the Data Manager program on my other thread) since from your help and Casey's help it seems I am very close. The current status is that the main dot matrix listing I posted works great and my handwritten amend1 showing how I routed your drive directory file list segment, despite your last post, worked PERFECTLY too (thank you!). However, when I added 4 new lines which involve the ,S,R and ,S,W, those, in conjunction with the main program itself, caused the new splat file. So I would have to post those 4 lines and we would have to get those correct and working in conjunction with the entire program, which means reviewing it as a whole to make sure there are no other conflicts within the entire program. 

The whole splat file thing just makes me, well, nervous. I would only want to finish the program off if you- (addressing you here because you are the one who has been mostly with me on this thing), but I will say it to everyone here on the thread, so, if you all will try to help fix the error/s and take this home. I will, this one last time, put my card back in the PC and just delete that one splat file, but never again will I do this. It's just too scary.

So what I am saying is that I don't want to try saving another sequential file again until we are 100% sure the final program will not cause any more splat files.

If I posted the 4 lines, would you (all) work with me to finish it off and ensure it is working perfectly before I would try to save a data file again?  If no one wants to examine this with me, I will abandon it, because I just don't want to risk any more playing attempts on my own with saving a data file since each imperfect attempt will likely cause a splat file.  I was personally willing to try more experimenting to get it on my own, but factoring in the splat thing, at this point, I actually just need it to be correct, tested, and ready to go before I would again run the program.

This is the likely the last VIC-20 program modification for the SD2IEC I will ever try myself or even ask about at all.

Edited by newTIboyRob

Just a quick note - a splat file is just a file that hasn't been closed properly in the disk device.

Example - do the following in direct mode:

OPEN 2,8,2,"TEST FILE,S,W"

PRINT#2,"SOMETHING"

LOAD"$",8

LIST

You'll see a splat file at this point.

The act of loading the disk directory has caused BASIC to forget about file #2, but the disk drive still has it open.

Enter this:

OPEN 15,8,15:CLOSE 15

LOAD"$",8

LIST

The splat file is no longer a splat file.  Opening and closing a file to channel 15 (command channel) closes all open files in the disk drive, even if BASIC's side is already closed.

All of this is to say - creating a splat file and it staying there happens for just a short list of reasons:

1. A disk error occurred (Disk full, taking the disk out while the program is running, etc).

2. A program error occurred (?SYNTAX ERROR IN 10 for instance) - which aborts open files in BASIC but keeps them open in the disk drive.

3. Somehow getting to the end of the program without issuing a CLOSE command to the open file number

Hm, I didn't know that opening and closing the command channel would close all files from the drive's point of view and get rid of splat files. I thought only validate would fix that. You learn something new every day (more or less).

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Hm, I didn't know that opening and closing the command channel would close all files from the drive's point of view and get rid of splat files. I thought only validate would fix that. You learn something new every day (more or less).

It only works if the file channels are still open on the drive -- so, when this happens do not reset the drive/SD2IEC.

If you know what the file numbers are, when the program stops and exits back to immediate mode, you could issue a CLOSE to close the files, too.  Not sure it will work after loading a directory, however.  You need to do it right away.