IGNORED

Atari 1200XL U1MB upgrade shows "Profile 3 reset!" followed by flashing artifacts on startup

I performed the U1MB upgrade on my Atari 1200XL, but am getting some error related to "Profile 3 reset!".

I don't know what to do about this, but I also am not able to successfully launch the Side3, I just get a static block cursor. I assume I need to solve this "Profile 3 reset" before I can move on to troubleshoot anything else. 

Edited by bytebinge

4 hours ago, bytebinge said:

I performed the U1MB upgrade on my Atari 1200XL, but am getting some error related to "Profile 3 reset!".

I don't know what to do about this, but I also am not able to successfully launch the Side3, I just get a static block cursor. I assume I need to solve this "Profile 3 reset" before I can move on to troubleshoot anything else. 

The 1200XL needs more work to get it going. Did you follow the install steps outlined in this post?

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/224151-ultimate-1mb-in-1200xl/

• Like 1

I don't see any reference to the specific pins to which the cap needs to be attached: the cap goes between RST and GND, and was originally documented here (and the idea is attributable to Matthias Reichl):

You can fit the cap on the U1MB itself or between the RST and GND signals anywhere on the motherboard. This generally fixes the problem on the 1200XL, although if it doesn't, you may have a secondary cabling issue or require 74LS08 to replaced with 74F08.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Never encountered a single 1200XL out of at least a dozen U1MB installs which didn't work perfectly even if the cap mod was required along the way.

Good enough for me. Thanks !

Most topic started by bob1200XL have the fixes in them. You could do google site searches or the very flawed AA search for things like

1200XL reset fix

1200XL cartridge fix

1200XL ground fix

1200XL video fix

1200XL keyboard fix

etc.

Or just ask @bob1200xl what all the fixes are and he might sum them up or point you to each of the many many tweaks he's outlined over the years and maybe a few articles in magazines as well.

5 hours ago, bytebinge said:

@flashjazzcatI added the ceramic cap and replaced the 74LS08 to 74F08. I get the same result. I also tried resoldering the 4 wires coming the the U1MB board to their pads. Anything else I should try?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

BTW just to add: looking at the cap you could potentially run into issues if the exposed legs ever short out pins on the back there. I always use heat shrink on each leg. Other than what you have done, follow other's advice. The other thing you could maybe do is swap out the cpu for another Sally 6502c. Also, is the gtia chip OK? Latter two things might have no bearing, but thought worth mentioning., especially the cpu swap.

Edit: Other thing. Have all socketed chips been reseated, just to ensure socket/pin leg contact isn't compromised from years of sitting there, oxidiation, etc? 

Edited by Beeblebrox

6 hours ago, bytebinge said:

@flashjazzcatI added the ceramic cap and replaced the 74LS08 to 74F08. I get the same result. I also tried resoldering the 4 wires coming the the U1MB board to their pads. Anything else I should try?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I suspect, then, that you have problems with ribbon cables as per our PM discussion (I apologise for not realising you had done the cap mod and installed 74F08 in my reply, BTW: I came to this thread after replying). I'd also observe that the solder joints on the capacitor legs appear to have been soldered with insufficient flux and/or heat, not that this will likely prevent the cap from working.

Scrutiny of the OS ROM sockets (if these were replaced when the machine was modded for a single OS ROM chip) is also advisable since I have seen many issues caused by trace damage on these machines. In one case, damage to a completely unused second OS ROM socket impacted cartridge functionality since many traces from the cart port pass through the secondary OS ROM socket on the way to the CPU.

Forget about the other Bob1200XL fixes for the moment until U1MB is at least working, since none of the other fixes are relevant to U1MB operation.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Issue is still occurring after removing and replacing the sockets for the OS and MMU. I have two sets of the flat ribbon cables because I have two U1MB board: same issue with both sets. The second board doesn't have the FJC firmware preinstalled, so it just shows "QMEG Menu" after boot up (with no cartridge inserted). 

I added some shrink tube on the bipolar cap legs, installed on the back of the U1MB board. 

Now with this Non-FJC firmware U1MB, I can load game carts: Donkey Kong pic attached with board. I cannot do this with the FJC U1MB. I tried the Side3 like this, but just shows static block cursor. Is this significant?

Capture2.JPG

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 9.10.13 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 9.10.13 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 9.10.13 PM (2).jpeg

Capture3.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 9.10.13 PM (3).jpeg

Edited by bytebinge

I see solder balls floating above pads and possible pad damage, this needs flux cleaned off and better close up pictures. Not sure I've ever seen quite this kind of soldering. Heat needs to be applied for enough time after melting to be pulled into the pores of the metal legs, thru holes and pads but not long enough to lift/ damage them. Do not press hard against pcb pads or they will be damaged.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Okay, point taken about the soldering. I touched it up and it looks like this now. I'm not super great at it, I know. If someone still thinks I need to redo the soldering, please let me know. I could desolder all three sockets and redo, but if the soldering job is not the issue, I am just further risking damaging the board by doing this. The behavior in regards to the FJC U1MB board is the same after the socket replacements: "Profile 3 reset!". There is a change in behavior with the non-FJC U1MB though: it now will launch Side3 loader: this is some forward progress, I suppose. It may not actually be a result of the socket replacement, but better securing the U1MB board and 4 cables (not sure which). I don't really know what kind of functionality I have with the current state of the U1MB sans-FJC firmware. If I flash this second U1MB board with FJC firmware, could that possible give me the full functionality I am looking for or will I just be at full inop status, like my current FJC U1MB when I hook it up? I am perplexed by this variance in behavior between the two U1MB boards. Does this indicate that my U1MB board has an issue from the beginning and nothing is wrong with the Atari 1200XL? 

Now what I don't understand is why I am only having an issue with the FJC U1MB. I am able to load the non FJC U1MB and am able to boot to Side3 menu with it. I can load games and play them. Okay great, the system has functionality. If I position the U1MB board just so, it will consistently boot up to this Side3 loader screen. I Don't know what functionality I have exactly. Now maybe I don't know much about what all is going on with Side3 and U1MB, but if there were something damaged with my socket soldering, wouldn't there be something more wrong than just the same "Profile 3 reset" issue I have seen since the start of this post? 

One time, when I launched to Side3 (sans FJC firmwaree), this "Ultimare serue?" appeared. If I better secure the U1MB board (has to be positioned just so with the 4 wires), that screen doesn't come up, so I assume this is a screen I don't want to see, seeing as the controller doesn't even work on the screen. I am unsure what degree of expected finicky behavior can be expected from these 4 wires, since my U1MB is not currently mounted. I don't have enough flat ribbon cable length to mount it over the UAV board, like I plan, so it's loose for now. I tried fluxing up and resoldering those 4 cables, but the same result. Let's just say I gave up on the FJC firmware and I closed everything up with this non FJC U1MB, what functionality would I have exactly? 

image.thumb.jpeg.34746be947468f2f7ab330dfd2c81c09.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.147d60d3e20747fbbe2f64f8c338112d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e37e23ff4c8105d1a9d73adade06621.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 11.25.28 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 11.25.28 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-13 at 11.25.27 PM.jpeg

Edited by bytebinge

That is a stylized

Ultimate Setup

screen and yes you do want that... that's how you change the settings and what not at boot time

Sounds like you do have some janky connection still, if moving it around etc allows you to get to the setup screen or not/side or not. could be the ribbons headers or socket/header legs. This is a known to have happened thing with bad ribbon header crimps etc.

Clean up the flux again and make sure there isn't a whiskey bridging two or three legs.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I went back and again resoldered the 4 cables on the U1MB, because yes, it should not change the PC behavior by slightly moving the U1MB board around. Seems the connection is more consistent and I'm not dealing with as much inconsistent behavior. This also changed the boot to the FJC U1MB, where it will still say "Profile 3 reset!" but no flashing artifacts now. When I swap to the non-FJC U1MB, I can load Side3. So some progress. I am up till 1:30am obsessing over this, so am turning in for the night. Please let me know what you think will help me slide home with a working FJC U1MB.