IGNORED

Robotron 2084

crazylegs

I was watching the demo screen in Robotron 2084 and I noticed that the robot can shoot without walking. When you play though the robot can only shoot while walking. Is this a glitch with the game? Could you shoot without walking in the arcade version?

In the arcade, Robotron had 2 joysticks, and therefore you could stand perfectly still, whilst still firing from the right joystick.

The 7800 has a limitation in the fact that there is only one (well, 2) buttons, however you can play it with two joysticks, but you'd have to find a way to rig them up. The 5200 Space Dungeon adapter doesn't work very well.

When my cousins would visit, I would move via the left joystick, and then my cousins could fire with the left.

You know something? I think there is a holder for using two 7800 controllers to play this game, I might be wrong, but just out of coincidence, I was browsing a LOT of online retro stores(vids) and I could almost swear that I saw one on a list, luckily I believe I book marked it as it looked cool. Although, I could be thinking of the 5200 one...I was looking through 7800/5200/8-bit stuff so I could be getting things mixed up. But rest assured I'm only wrong on the occasions that I'm not right...or is that; I'm only wrong on the rare occasions that I'm mistaken? oh, well, I get back to you on that one...

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

You know something? I think there is a holder for using two 7800 controllers to play this game, I might be wrong, but just out of coincidence, I was browsing a LOT of online retro stores(vids) and I could almost swear that I saw one on a list, luckily I believe I book marked it as it looked cool. Although, I could be thinking of the 5200 one...

Although the coupler you were thinking of was for 5200 controllers, there is another coupler you can use for 7800 Robotron. It's called the Dual Control Module, and it came with Spy Hunter for the 2600 and is designed for use with stock 2600 joysticks (CX40), which also work on the 7800. The big drawback of using the Dual Control Module for Robotron is that it requires one of the sticks to be oriented at a 90° rotation from the other. (The CX40 is slightly longer along the forward-back axis than along the left-right axis, even though the base may appear perfectly square.) I compensate for this orientation problem by using a "southpaw adaptor" cable which rotates the joystick's directional functions -90°. Best Electronics used to sell the adaptor cables, but I think they may have run out. It's possible you could obviate the need for the cables by using a joystick with a base a tad smaller than the CX40's. Of course, this all assumes you can get your hands on the Dual Control Module in the first place.

In any case, it's difficult for me to say how well this hacked setup works; I'm not at all good at any version of Robotron, couplers or no!

• 2 weeks later...