IGNORED

Ultimate1MB Install Service in the USA to my XEGS?

Greetings,

I used to be lucidphreak here until the admin switched the board over to requiring email address - at which time I lost access to that account.. I’ve been on this site for a very long time - I’m mostly interested in old BBS software for the Atari (and other 8bits) as well as old school *phreaking* programs such as wardialers, code scanners, telenet/sprintnet/x25 scanners, etc.. 

I would like to purchase a U1mb for one of my XEGS’s but I have no soldering skills. I have an email in to Lotharek waiting to see how much he would charge - but I figured why not reach out here and see if there are any reputable USA members who have experience doing the install who (for a fee) would be willing to install mine.. I might also want the USB keyboard adapter done at the same time - but nothing else. From what I’ve heard this is a pretty simple install - but I just have zero soldering skills and XEGS’s are rare/expensive to replace so I dont want to take the chance of ruining the computer OR the U1mb.. 

If you are interested, drop me a reply here or in IM .. and thanks!

On 3/13/2024 at 2:17 AM, AtariPhreak said:

Greetings,

I used to be lucidphreak here until the admin switched the board over to requiring email address - at which time I lost access to that account.. I’ve been on this site for a very long time - I’m mostly interested in old BBS software for the Atari (and other 8bits) as well as old school *phreaking* programs such as wardialers, code scanners, telenet/sprintnet/x25 scanners, etc.. 

I would like to purchase a U1mb for one of my XEGS’s but I have no soldering skills. I have an email in to Lotharek waiting to see how much he would charge - but I figured why not reach out here and see if there are any reputable USA members who have experience doing the install who (for a fee) would be willing to install mine.. I might also want the USB keyboard adapter done at the same time - but nothing else. From what I’ve heard this is a pretty simple install - but I just have zero soldering skills and XEGS’s are rare/expensive to replace so I dont want to take the chance of ruining the computer OR the U1mb.. 

If you are interested, drop me a reply here or in IM .. and thanks!

Hi @AtariPhreak,

image.thumb.jpeg.ad746f6ba89bacb5e9d7e851ff843b44.jpeg

This is my last week build for the client.  Videos on:  

If you want order this or similar configuration just write me priv.

If you can't find anyone else to do it, I may be able to help.  In addition to doing occasional Atari work, I also understand that although I am located in the US, European countries generally aren't :)   Couple of things to make clear up front:

• My work schedule is extremely irregular and can change at the drop of a hat.  It also involves travel.
  • This means that the machine may be tied up for some time (usually on the order of weeks) before I can touch it unless I get a quiet spot.  It's rare, but it does occasionally happen.
  • I have around a dozen U1MB installations under my belt, but haven't yet done one on an XEGS.  This isn't something that I'm concerned about, but want to make sure that you're aware of this.

Pinging @-^CrossBow^- to see if he may want to take this on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

If you can't find anyone else to do it, I may be able to help.  In addition to doing occasional Atari work, I also understand that although I am located in the US, European countries generally aren't :)   Couple of things to make clear up front:

• I work an extremely irregular schedule that can change at the drop of a hat.  It also involves travel.
  • This means that the machine may be tied up for some time (usually on the order of weeks) before I can touch it unless I get a quiet spot.  It's rare, but it does occasionally happen.
  • I have around a dozen U1MB installations under my belt, but haven't yet done one on an XEGS.  This isn't something that I'm concerned about, but want to make sure that you're aware of this.

Pinging @-^CrossBow^- to see if he may want to take this on.

FYI the xegs u1mb install is the same level of involvement as installing in an XE. Removal and socketing of the os Rom and mmu areas and hooking up the 4 x cpu signals. So really the main and most involved element is desoldering those chips for the sockets - which always comes with a risk on XE and xegs boards owing to build quality and them being prone to lifted traces and vias. I've installed u1mb in around 4 x xegs. I use a 3d printed u1mb bracket to hold it in place. There are not many places you can locate the u1mb board because of the casing. I drill out the centre hole in the lower casing and remove the large standoff. 

Incidentally, as with all XE and xegs, whilst I am in there doing the u1mb upgrade, I socket and swap out the 74ls08 for a 74f08. I do so as standard as am always making sure these have the best stability for u1mb and side3/3.1. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

FYI the xegs u1mb install is the same level of involvement as installing in an XE. Removal and socketing of the os Rom and mmu areas and hooking up the 4 x cpu signals. So really the main and most involved element is desoldering those chips for the sockets - which always comes with a risk on XE and xegs boards owing to build quality and them being prone to lifted traces and vias. I've installed u1mb in around 4 x xegs. I use a 3d printed u1mb bracket to hold it in place. There are not many places you can locate the u1mb board because of the casing. I drill out the centre hole in the lower casing and remove the large standoff. 

Much appreciated, and I've run across that same bracket on either Yeggi or Thingiverse.  Good to know re: the case modifications.

12 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Incidentally, as with all XE and xegs, whilst I am in there doing the u1mb upgrade, I socket and swap out the 74ls08 for a 74f08. I do so as standard as am always making sure these have the best stability for u1mb and side3/3.1. 

Fairly certain I have a bunch of 74F08s in stock.

Thanks again - knowing what the practical side is like is a huge help.

• Like 1