IGNORED

VCS adapter...2600 games with 5200 sticks?

Christophero Sly

CS, the answer is no, the VCS adapter has it's own ports where you can plug in two 2600 joysticks.  It is an entire 2600 by itself using the 5200 as a passthrough.

That is what I assumed. I just couldn't find a definitive answer in the FAQ or by searching the forums for info, and there isn't a picture of the adapter on AA, so I couldn't confirm things visually either.

Believe it or not, I had always assumed you had to use the 5200 sticks, and that is one reason I was never interested in getting the 2600 adapter. Huh. Does the 2600 adapter have any kind of power supply or does it just plug into the cart slot of the 5200 and somehow use that as power?

Does the 2600 adapter have any kind of power supply or does it just plug into the cart slot of the 5200 and somehow use that as power?

Yes. All the 5200 does is provide the power and the video output. The adapter is really a self-contained 2600.

Does anyone know what one of these things cost back then? It must have been expensive.

Tempest

Believe it or not, I had always assumed you had to use the 5200 sticks, and that is one reason I was never interested in getting the 2600 adapter. Huh. Does the 2600 adapter have any kind of power supply or does it just plug into the cart slot of the 5200 and somehow use that as power?

Heh, same here! I was always interested in getting one but never really wanted to spend the money just to never use it...

Whoops! :) (and I've had a 5200 since 1982!! Unfortunately, I don't use it much due to the controllers and having an XEGS anyway... [oops, is that heresy here? :)])

reading that box i noticed the part about it not working on all 5200 models and then i found this mention in the 5200 FAQ-

In addition, most

4-port 5200 systems cannot use the VCS cartridge adapter without

modifications. Several other minor differences also exist between

the two machines.

anybody have further details on this?

I used to have one. It's kinda cumbersome. Technically, you could probably pipe Xbox graphics through the 5200 if you wanted to.

-Bry

Ohmygod, scary thought!

I always thought it'd be fun that if someone's wife told him he could only hook up three systems and he chose:

1. 5200, 2600-adapter, supercharger

2. Tray-loading sega cd, genesis 1, 32x, game genie, action replay, sonic and knuckles, sonic 1

3. Modified intv1, ECS, voice adapter, world series baseball.

"Yes honey, it's all needed. No I won't forget the 4pm appointment with the marriage counselor"

reading that box i noticed the part about it not working on all 5200 models and then i found this mention in the 5200 FAQ-

In addition, most  

4-port 5200 systems cannot use the VCS cartridge adapter without  

modifications.  Several other minor differences also exist between  

the two machines.

anybody have further details on this?

Some of the early models of the 4port just didn't work with the VCS adapter. Here's a bit from the 5200 Faq:

4.9 -- HOW CAN THE 4-PORT MODEL BE MODIFIED TO WORK WITH THE VCS

CARTRIDGE ADAPTER?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Early 5200s that have four joystick ports cannot accept the VCS

(2600) adapter unless modifications are made.  However, Best

Electronics offers an adapter kit which allows the use of the VCS

adapter on 4-port models.

*** NOTE -- Owners of 4-port 5200 machines with an "*" as part of

the serial number are in luck.  Atari apparently made a small run of

VCS-compatible 4-port units before changing over to the 2-port units.

And here's a very handy guide for this mod posted by superstonic over at DP:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188393

I used to have one. It's kinda cumbersome. Technically, you could probably pipe Xbox graphics through the 5200 if you wanted to.

-Bry

Ohmygod, scary thought!

I always thought it'd be fun that if someone's wife told him he could only hook up three systems and he chose:

1. 5200, 2600-adapter, supercharger

2. Tray-loading sega cd, genesis 1, 32x, game genie, action replay, sonic and knuckles, sonic 1

3. Modified intv1, ECS, voice adapter, world series baseball.

"Yes honey, it's all needed. No I won't forget the 4pm appointment with the marriage counselor"

How about a Nintendo 64 with a TryStar adaptor, a 60-72 pin adaptor (so US NES can be played on it) and a Super GameBoy? That's 5 consoles in one technically (is Jap SNES carts any different from US SNES carts? If so, 6 consoles then) Yes, I know there was a GameBoy Color cart for the 64, but it's a piece of shite, and I wouldn't want to use it really.

I got another question about the VCS adaptor. Does it have a passthrough port, or do you have to take it out to play 5200 games? If it does, would you want to take it out anyways? If not, will inserting it and removing it constantly cause any problems to either unit? I assume there is no passthrough port, but could be wrong.

How about a Nintendo 64 with a TryStar adaptor, a 60-72 pin adaptor (so US NES can be played on it) and a Super GameBoy?  That's 5 consoles in one technically (is Jap SNES carts any different from US SNES carts?  If so, 6 consoles then)  Yes, I know there was a GameBoy Color cart for the 64, but it's a piece of shite, and I wouldn't want to use it really.

The Super Famicom is electrically identical, and the only physical diffrence is the exterior shell.

US SNES carts are too wide to fit the hole of a SFC, and SFC carts lack teh slots on the back that enable them to slide by the pegs in the bottom of a US SNES cart slot.

To mod the SNES for japanese games, you take something like needle-nose pliers and break 2 plastic tabs off.