IGNORED

THE 400 Mini Questions

donjn

We are a couple of weeks away, and it is starting to get exciting!

I assume @Albert will get his hands on a 400 Mini before we do so I would like to create this thread with some questions for myself and anyone else that wants to join in. I did see the recent review, but lately, I have been starving for information.

Input Lag

Some of us are VERY sensitive when it comes to input lag. When you ask this question, many will say, “It’s fine”. When I asked Retro Recipes in chat during the live video, he replied, “What lag”? This is a good sign, but I would like to know more.

Declaimer: I often receive the standard "Make sure your TV is on game mode" or whatever. I will say I have a 2ms $300 27” gaming monitor that has such a fast reaction time for latency, and that is WHY I notice latency on subpar machines. My monitor and setup are finely tuned to be as latency-free as possible.

The C64 mini and Maxi were released several years ago and the input lag on those was terrible (I still don’t get why Vice 64 is the default emulator for C64 stuff when Denise 64 has run ahead!) It may have been fixed later but it all seems hit and miss. The Atari 2600 + was very solid regarding lag, and I was impressed.

Atari 5200
So, I assume the Atari 400 Mini will use the "Atari 800" emulator. A lot of the Atari 800 emulators are interchangeable and run Atari 5200 games. It would be nice to see if this is possible.

Can the Carousel be edited?

The million-dollar question. On this forum, there was talk about it not being editable. However, the C64 carousel has been edited. I wonder if this is because the 400 Mini uses the Amiga mini carousel which is harder to edit.

Controllers
Can we assume almost any “Xbox-like" controllers be used?

Here is the review video below if anyone is interested, although it is a prototype (black) unit.

Edited by donjn

TBH its just a few days until we can find out for certain 😛

My thoughts...

A $100 plug and play device will not be a perfect thing, expectations need to be kept realistic...

Since all 5200 games have A8 ports I'm not sure there is an issue with real 5200 games - and yes I know some actual 5200 games use proper analogue controls - I doubt The400 will support that...

The carousel will not be editable based on the previous hardware (A500), but I have found that is largely irrelevant since you can just load anything off USB - I have all their other machines and whilst I dabbled with the carousel alternatives on the C64Maxi (and it was a fun time sink), I went back to stock and found loading off a well organised USB stick is much easier...

I have found that some 3rd part controllers work, lots do not - the supplied one(s) with their other devices have been pretty solid IMHO, so not really a worry...

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

1 hour ago, donjn said:

Atari 5200
So, I assume the Atari 400 Mini will use the "Atari 800" emulator. A lot of the Atari 800 emulators are interchangeable and run Atari 5200 games. It would be nice to see if this is possible.

It's stated on all official pages that it will play 5200 games. The question that remains is how well will it perform that task.

1 hour ago, donjn said:

Can the Carousel be edited?

The million-dollar question. On this forum, there was talk about it not being editable. However, the C64 carousel has been edited. I wonder if this is because the 400 Mini uses the Amiga mini carousel which is harder to edit.

The "dude" who's been editing carousels of the other consoles (The64 mini, etc.) coming from the company that's making The400 mini has stated in some of the threads of this subforum that the carousel looks to be of the same design as TheA500 mini, for which editing hasn't been possible. So, it's assumed that it won't be possible for The400 mini either; but someone capable of making a final determination needs to get one in their hands first.

[Edit]

Steve got his reply in slightly before me, which I wasn't able to view before posting my reply, hence some redundancy in our answers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

I dabbled with the carousel alternatives on the C64Maxi (and it was a fun time sink), I went back to stock and found loading off a well organised USB stick is much easier...

I can see what you're saying about loading off a USB stick being true for large archives of games. The useful thing about editing the carousel is that I could have my favorite games there. The default games are nice enough; but for sure there will be games that I prefer to some of those. Ultimately, not being able to edit the carousel won't be a deal breaker; but I still see it as a minus.