IGNORED

Can you install the guts of an Activision game in an Atari cart?

shigs42

As a 7800 owner, I'm having a problem with certain Activision games plugging into the system. Not a problem with my 2600+, but I recently got Pitfall 2, and I have to really jam the game into the 7800 to get it to work.

Now, Grabbing an Atari cart to gut is easy to find and dirt cheap. Is it possible to gut an Activision game and install it into an empty Atari cart or are there some differences?

17 hours ago, shigs42 said:

As a 7800 owner, I'm having a problem with certain Activision games plugging into the system. Not a problem with my 2600+, but I recently got Pitfall 2, and I have to really jam the game into the 7800 to get it to work.

Now, Grabbing an Atari cart to gut is easy to find and dirt cheap. Is it possible to gut an Activision game and install it into an empty Atari cart or are there some differences?

That might not help. Activision games have slightly thinner PCBs and are frequently an issue in that regard. It also sounds like your 7800 cartridge slot molding isn't very tolerant of 3rd party games and that is also a common issue with 7800s. Earlier made units have less issue with this but later made 7800s it seems the mold for the cartridge slot got more worn over time and as a result those slots are tighter and have issues letting 3rd party carts seat down into the slot fully.

For a while there was an adapter you could buy that would help with this issue but I'm not sure where you can purchase them currently. It was called the Lock-On cart adapter. 

It is also possible to modify the 7800 cartridge sleeve to make it easier for 3rd party games to fit provided you aren't against a little dremel use along the corners of the sleeve.