IGNORED

Gamestation Pro gets a major new controller upgrade

ave1

Today I have some interesting info to share about the Atari Gamestation Pro (GSP).  Many who purchased the system have wondered if PC or other game consoles controllers could be plugged into the USB Type C ports on the front of the console, and the short answer is that Xbox One, PS4, and PS5 controllers are directly compatible when plugged in (you have to get a USB type C to regular USB converter cable to get the connection right).  I've tried other kinds of wired USB controllers (PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Switch) and they just seem to be dead or only partially working when trying to navigate around on the GSP's menu.

Well, now I've figured out that your wired Xbox 360 and Switch controllers actually CAN work to play games in the GSP.  If you use your wireless pack-in joystick to navigate through the menus and start up a game, at that point your Switch or 360 controller becomes fully compatible- though in some games you'll have to turn off the wireless controller. 

With this knowledge I've gone further to try getting other controllers compatible with the GSP- including Atari 2600/5200/7800  joysticks, Trakballs, Sega Genesis, Nintendo gamepads, and even Atari Jaguar controllers.  What I have found out is that there's a single adapter which comes with connector cables that allow various types of classic system controllers to work- The Bliss-Box GamerPro Advanced.  When you buy this adapter you pick what system cables you want to use with it and the GSP  games will work just as the Nintendo Switch and Xbox 360 controllers work- (works when playing the games, but not in the GSP menus). 

The adapter has button mapping programmability (which I figured out by trial and error), and requires setup with a PC program that's freely available at the Bliss-Box.net website.  Here is a thorough presentation video on getting the GSP games working with your classic controllers.  Enjoy! 
https://youtu.be/tlUjWoPnlfI?si=_xJY3IixAE45J6Vs

• Like 1

I was going to start a similar thread and found yours. 

I am hoping some dialog can lead to people citing specific 3rd party affordable controllers on Amazon - that are tested to work on the GSP. 

• Like 1

I tested the Xbox Adaptive Controller on the Atari GSP and it worked perfectly. Even in the menu at first power up. This makes the GSP just about the only one of the retro mini consoles that does work with it completely. The only thing you need to remember is if you use accessibility addons, you need to program the Adaptive controller to use them on a PC or Xbox first. I tried the Playstation Access controller which I also have and the console didn't respond to any input from it in menus or games.  This is with the 1.30 official firmware. 

GSP XAC.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tried plugging in my Atari USB Fightstick to the GSP and found that if I put it into Gamepad mode (done by pushing the mode button combined with button 1 for 3 seconds) there is some functionality (unlike with other modes I tried out the USB Fightstick with).  There are 3 things worth noting:

1) Doesn't respond in the menus, but once you've entered a game you get a response. 

2) Directional controls are working

3) Button 1 seems to be the only button that functions, but unfortunately the button represents fire button and pause and a start button (which restarts a game).

In the end- it's not a functional controller option.  

If I get it connected to a Cronusmax Plus adapter and preset that to have PC or PS3 input and Xbox One output, maybe that's going to work. I'll have to try that later. 

Edited by ave1

Posted (edited)

Okay I did test the Cronusmax Plus adapter on the Atari USB Fightstick and it worked (not on menus but within the games)- with PC/PS3 set as the input and Xbox 360 set as the output.  Having the output set as Xbox One was not working at all.

One additional note: the Atari USB Fightstick only had a properly functioning joystick AFTER I pressed the mode button and button 1 simultaneously for 3 seconds. The manual calls this "Gamepad mode".  

PS3 Dual Shock 3 compatibility has also been attained.  PC controllers may be able to work on the GSP with the CMP, but your mileage may vary. Some work and some don't. 

Edited by ave1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been testing different controllers. Lots of controllers directly connected to the GSP via usb c or with a usb a to usb c adapter. So far, the most compatible one I've found is the Playstation 5 stock controller. Even 3rd party PS5 controller didn't work most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using the Mayflash F300 arcade stick. Menu has to be navigated via the GSP controller..Note that for the Genesis roms, you have to switch controller type and that then makes it a 3 button Sega controller with stick support. I use the octagonal gate for the stick and it works like a dream. Finally a lifelike emu setup from the comfort of my couch!!