IGNORED

Nuon Tempest 3000 reprint coming

jeremiahjt

I still have my Extiva in its box, and almost all the original release games.  Are there alternate ways to play Nuon games these days?

I'm wondering what the market is for this, if it's still limited to the old run of Nuon DVD players. 

Gosh, I realize I'm about to go down a rabbit hole as I start googling.  :)

The emulator (Nuance) has gotten good enough most people can play T3K with the sound disabled. Some people still see it crash almost immediately, some can even play with sound on. In all cases, you better have the fastest CPU in the land for playable framerates. It's under active development though, which is a better situation than things were for a long time from my understanding.

Ultimately though, the unfortunate reality is you still really want one of the old DVD players if you want to play this or other Nuon games. T3K is of course platform-exclusive to this day, and as much a gem as T2K, with opinions varying on which is better (They are certainly different enough games that you can like both for what they are, as I do). The other Nuon games probably aren't essential to anyone's library (I think all the other games are available on other platforms in some form, though Iron Soldier 3 for Nuon is without a doubt the superior version), but once you have a Nuon, you might as well try them out too. If you like Jaguar games, you'll like Nuon games.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cubanismo said:

Same. The games are rarer than the players by far.

1 hour ago, Gedalya said:

I don't. Looking forward to this!

Ah, I bought my player years ago from ebay with some games bundled.  I apologize for my incorrect assumption!

9 hours ago, thanatos said:

I also figured everyone with a Nuon already has Tempest 3000.

I would say there's a huge difference between "having" Tempest 3000 and "owning" Tempest 3000.

It'll probably feel better if it didn't have TDK written on it :D

• Haha 9

22 hours ago, thanatos said:

I also figured everyone with a Nuon already has Tempest 3000.

I do, but its sealed and Im never opening it as it was a gift from my wife and I can't bring myself to break teh seal.  I will be buying this reprint as my "Daily Driver" Version of Tempest 3000.

• Like 1

Great news, sadly I no longer own a NUON.

Still kick myself for not buying a stack when the NUONs were on clearance for $60. Last 2 I owned the lasers died so I sold it off as spare parts. Aren't the controllers even more rare or did someone come up with a solution for that?

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 4:23 PM, The Helper said:

Songbird sells a N64 controller adaptor for NUON but he is out right now.  Original controllers are still rare and expensive.

I wonder why they picked that? They're a wearing out as it is, you'd think PlayStation would have made more sense...

9 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

I wonder why they picked that? They're a wearing out as it is, you'd think PlayStation would have made more sense...

Besides the near-perfect button mapping, there are also infinite knock-off N64 controllers on eBay, in all sorts of form factors and for very low prices (I think I got a seller offer for $9.95 w/shipping the other day on one of the ones I already bought), and in any color you could want. All the ones I've tried work great (arguably better than actual original N64 controllers or Nuon controllers) with the Songbird Aries64 adapter.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Besides the near-perfect button mapping, there are also infinite knock-off N64 controllers on eBay, in all sorts of form factors and for very low prices (I think I got a seller offer for $9.95 w/shipping the other day on one of the ones I already bought), and in any color you could want. All the ones I've tried work great (arguably better than actual original N64 controllers or Nuon controllers) with the Songbird Aries64 adapter.

That's a good point. It only has to work well on the Nuon. Most of the knock offs suck ass on an N64 😄

I've got a Samsung Nuon and then an original controller (thank god) but its an HPI Warrior which looks like a battarang and doesn't the thumbstick like the HPI Stealth or what the N64 would do with the adapter as the N64 controllers have that thumbstick.

I want to say tho you can basically play all of the games except for Freefall 3050AD that's the only one that needs to have that stick to actually be able to move and play. I've tried Freefall with the Warrior controller and it doesn't move at all so I feel it needs that stick. 

The think I like the least about the Nuon is there was never a memory card made for it, so you can't save any high scores on Tempest 3000 or progress on any of the other games. That's something I wouldn't mind seeing be made.

With regards to Tempest 3000, I didn't think it was all too great, it was very blurry and not crisp like Tempest 2000, then the lack of high score savings was the other killer. 

On 3/25/2024 at 3:25 PM, UHATEIT said:

With regards to Tempest 3000, I didn't think it was all too great, it was very blurry and not crisp like Tempest 2000,

I wonder why the games were blurry on the Nuon. The dvds looked great… but the games always looked like I was playing them in composite video. 

23 minutes ago, GrizzLee said:

I wonder why the games were blurry on the Nuon. The dvds looked great… but the games always looked like I was playing them in composite video. 

I have mine connected with components since the Nuon also accepts component cables. Tried it on a nice CRT and on an LCD TV and it always came out looking fuzzy and blurry. I honestly prefer Tempest 2000 on the Jag or Tempest 4000 on the VCS or Switch. 

Edited by UHATEIT

25 minutes ago, GrizzLee said:

Set filtering to vaseline, sir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 5:39 PM, GrizzLee said:

I don't consider the games fuzzy or blurry. Tempest 3K is, IIRC, because it runs at half-res and Minter made an artistic choice to do some sort of anti-aliasing (Maybe just bilinear filtering for the upscaling, I don't know). I think it's the same thing he went for with the VLM-2, where he wanted no visible pixels (http://minotaurproject.co.uk/vlm.php), and I think the VLM generally runs at half res or less too, and hence also looks blurry, but again, not because Nuon is blurry, rather because the author preferred it that way.

Iron Soldier 3, FreeFall 3050 A.D., Ballistic, Merlin Racing, The Next Tetris, and Space Invaders all look as crisp as they do on other systems (Crisper in the case of IS3).

• Like 4