IGNORED

TI-99 Viditel Cartridge

I was googling around and came across this blog talking about a engineering sample of the TI-99 Viditel Cartridge with some pictures and a dump of the cartridge.

https://perhof.wordpress.com/2020/04/13/ti-99-viditel-cartridge/

In the comments on the blog someone mentions they have the host software for it, but there no links, doesn't seem to been shared. Did anyone ever find it for this cartridge?

Also there mention of the TMS3556 does anyone have the datasheet for this chip?

Thanks.

ti-99_viditelcartrige-1.png

1108x500-1.jpg

viditel-pcb-top.jpg

viditel-pcb-bottom.jpg

hexdump.png

startup2.png

viditel2.png

viditel1.2_c.bin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Also there mention of the TMS3556 does anyone have the datasheet for this chip?.

On the bottom of the same website is a link more information about the probable indivdual that may have once had possession of this cartridge. On that website it gives the datasheet for then IC you're asking about. The may be some more useful information there too.  https://www.blunham.com/Radar/Teletext/PDFs/TMS3556DataSheet.pdf

14 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Interseting back story about it futher down in the comments:

Untitled.jpg

Yeah the comments are the best part and one of the replies the poster mentions he has the backend host software and willing to share it to the author of the blog post but it never seems to be linked or shared, after a few comments and replies by blog author the story dies cold with no updates

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

On the bottom of the same website is a link more information about the probable indivdual that may have once had possession of this cartridge. On that website it gives the datasheet for then IC you're asking about. The may be some more useful information there too.  https://www.blunham.com/Radar/Teletext/PDFs/TMS3556DataSheet.pdf

Thanks I didn't notice that when browsing. Going to have to print it out later on mobile too much to read on a small screen right now.

TMS3556DataSheet.pdf

1 minute ago, Gary from OPA said:

Thanks I didn't notice that when browsing. Going to have to print it out later on mobile too much to read on a small screen right now.

TMS3556DataSheet.pdf 4.17 MB · 0 downloads

The site linked to is https://www.blunham.com/Radar/Teletext/index.html and has some good info as well as someting that almost resembles a Geneve or TI99/8 motherboard.

ItextBoard.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

The site linked to is https://www.blunham.com/Radar/Teletext/index.html and has some good info as well as someting that almost resembles a Geneve or TI99/8 motherboard.

ItextBoard.png

That one of the early teletext boards for the video display using the tms9995 cpus

I like also how there mention of the sbj9989, I myself used the sbj68689 the last version of the 9900 series of CPU's and I found it so much faster than the 9995 or 99105.

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

That one of the early teletext boards for the video display using the tms9995 cpus

I like also how there mention of the sbj9989, I myself used the sbj68689 the last version of the 9900 series of CPU's and I found it so much faster than the 9995 or 99105.

Yeh, here's another of a more updated version on that site.

Itext4000.jpg

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

@acadiel needs to get hold of Viditel host and client software for a demo setup at VCF.  Give those Nabu people what-for.

We have half of it the client side to display the incoming text and graphics from our rs232 card using that dumped cartridge. We just need the host software to generate the outbound data which the commentary mentions on that blog.

2 hours ago, RickyDean said:

Yeh, here's another of a more updated version on that site.

Itext4000.jpg

This updated version looks like it uses static ram instead of the tms4500 and the dram but allows for that option as well, you can see the empty 40 pin socket for the dram controller and the empty ram sockets, I doubt you could use both.

• Like 2

Interestingly, the EPROM used in the Viditel cartridge is an 8K TMS2564 (matches with my notes on the cart) according to the picture. Luckily, it is one of the 28-pin versions which are easier to find than the 24-pin version. Programming the code could be done using an adapter and substituting a 2764 for the TMS2564. It might also involve an adapter for the socket in the cartridge as well. 

46 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

Interestingly, the EPROM used in the Viditel cartridge is an 8K TMS2564 (matches with my notes on the cart) according to the picture. Luckily, it is one of the 28-pin versions which are easier to find than the 24-pin version. Programming the code could be done using an adapter and substituting a 2764 for the TMS2564. It might also involve an adapter for the socket in the cartridge as well. 

Well if you had the original cartridge board to use, there seems to be jumper on the board as well to control one of the eprom pins.

But the dumped code runs fine on flashrom99 and burned into a 2764 on 64k cartridge board. It wants of course an original ti rs232 card at 1300 to run.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

Thanks for that, I wish the search worked better on AtariAge I always get timeouts or crashes since they switched to using the cloud version of this forum software.

This post has the host software shared by LukeD back in 2020 that mentioned in the original blog.

• Like 2

Yes, the discussion was kind of moved from the blog to that AtariAge thread. Maybe I should have updated the blog post with a link to the thread but I forgot about the whole thing. 

I still have the original cartridge though.

Just now, hofster said:

Yes, the discussion was kind of moved from the blog to that AtariAge thread. Maybe I should have updated the blog post with a link to the thread but I forgot about the whole thing. 

I still have the original cartridge though.

Thanks for the original post and good info.

Sorry I been catching up on things I missed everything that occurred during the years 2020/2021/2022 and first half of 2023. So I got large void in my memory banks, but quickly filling it in.

I like the whole original idea of the teletext system, long time ago I used to run a small community news channel which displayed weather, news headlines, and I spent a lot of time recreating it on the ti99 in extended back with assembly. And I also like that the TEII cartridge has its own protocol that allowed transmission of graphics and even speech, so would be interesting project to get this all working again and even updating it a bit as well.

I first thought that "Bildschirmtext" was a wrong translation, but "PRESTEL" and "Viditel" seem to prove that it was correct - this is not Teletext (what you get from TV) but a phone line-based communication system.

(If it were Teletext, the proper translation would have been "Videotext".)

Interesting.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, humeur said:

Thanks for the full data book. Reading up on this chip it was used along with the TMS7020 and the TMS5220 for speech to produce the EXL 100 in France.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXL_100

Exelvision_EXL-100_couleur.jpg

• Like 2