IGNORED

Stella 6.7.1 virus warnings?

Dionoid

Hi, I'm trying to install the latest version of Stella (6.7.1) but I get a "Virus detected" warning when trying to download using Google Chrome and the .zip is removed automatically.

I also tried the .exe installer, which I can download and run, but a few seconds after installing the stella.exe file is removed from the install folder.

I'm running Windows 11 (latest version 23H2) with no additional anti-virus software.

Anyone else had this issue?

image.png.895c1c24df6f10e297753dcebe2cc262.png

Edited by Dionoid

Virus scanning was added to Chrome a year ago, but it seems a recent update has some very aggressive virus signatures and heuristics.. Apparently the 2600 Halo rom also has malware! :roll:

There are instructions in that thread on how to disable the check globally, if you so wish. I really don't think stella has a virus, and there's not much to be done here. Unlike other AV vendors, Google doesn't have a process to appeal and white-list a falsely flagged executable.

The executables from my open source projects, which are cross compiled on Linux and never touch a windows box, are regularly flagged as containing viruses, though the vendors always disagree on what. They use heuristics like "small download" and "not signed by a developer certificate" ($$$), in addition to overly-small overly-generic signatures that get triggered by a Hello World test.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevEng said:

Virus scanning was added to Chrome a year ago, but it seems a recent update has some very aggressive virus signatures and heuristics.. Apparently the 2600 Halo rom also has malware! :roll:

There are instructions in that thread on how to disable the check globally, if you so wish. I really don't think stella has a virus., and there's not much to be done here. Unlike other AV vendors, Google doesn't have a process to appeal white-list a falsely flagged executable.

The executables from my open source projects, which are cross compiled on Linux and never touch a windows box, are regularly flagged as containing viruses, though the vendors always disagree on what. They use heuristics like "small download" and "not signed by a developer certificate" ($$$), in addition to overly-small overly-generic signatures that get triggered by a Hello World test.

Yes, the increasing number of false alerts are a pain in the ass for anyone developing. They are nannying the computers for the "normal" users more and more.

I am afraid, eventually we will be forced to buy developer certificates for hefty money.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I am afraid, eventually we will be forced to buy developer certificates for hefty money.

I think that's a correct prediction. There is no incentive for the AV vendors to correct heuristics that result in false-positives, because any cost to the false-positives is external to the AV vendor.

49 minutes ago, RevEng said:

I think that's a correct prediction. There is no incentive for the AV vendors to correct heuristics that result in false-positives, because any cost to the false-positives is external to the AV vendor.

And this might kill quite some projects. :sad: 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Hi, I'm trying to install the latest version of Stella (6.7.1) but I get a "Virus detected" warning when trying to download using Google Chrome and the .zip is removed automatically.

I also tried the .exe installer, which I can download and run, but a few seconds after installing the stella.exe file is removed from the install folder.

I'm running Windows 11 (latest version 23H2) with no additional anti-virus software.

Anyone else had this issue?

image.png.895c1c24df6f10e297753dcebe2cc262.png

While I didn't get this particular error, I did notice a few weeks back that my antivirus software plugin for my browser was false flagging every Atari .bin as a virus and refusing to actually download it.  I have to manually correct it every time and allow the download.

edit:  Looks like RevEng reported something similar above earlier with regard to Halo.

Edited by LatchKeyKid

46 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

And this might kill quite some projects. :sad: 

My tinfoil hat is showing, but that suits the corporate push for walled gardens and software licensing just fine.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

In my case it was Microsoft Defender Antivirus in Windows 11 which has flagged the latest Stella 6.7.1 version as "potentially unwanted app" because it supposedly detected the 'PUAMiner:Win32/RedbyrepMiner' virus. It must have been be a preconceived plan by the Stella team to spread this bitcoin-miner software to all our machines, make loads of money and then take over the world! I should have known, as Stella is just too good to give away for free...

image.png.bb57d779c6a92d1470da4ddf3160a473.png

As a workaround, I installed Stella 6.7, which isn't blocked by Microsoft Defender!

Edited by Dionoid
  • Haha 2