IGNORED

Easter - a small springtime game, was "Tools for making a nice title page?"

Screenshotfrom2024-04-1510-12-22.png.b3213d9daadeacd15c15e5482cb2e39b.png

This is actually pretty cool. In an experiment to combine bass and percussions the TIA appears to be pretty powerful. Just one channel used so far. :) I might even leave the background as this and use the other channel for sound effects. No copyright problems ;) 

In order to add a little variation I could use some nice chord progression. Hmm. I wonder if Taylor Swift is going to sue me if I use the same chord progression she has in almost EVERY SONG of hers (A, E, F#m, D). I mean people like her chord progressions. So perhaps they would like it in the background of Easter as well?

• Like 2

And the chord progression s there (sorry Taylor Swift).

Opinions? Would you rather like some Bossanova style piano melody on top of this or sound effects from the card movements?

And if any Furnace Tracker enthusiasts are interested in how this was written you have the music here.

Bossa.fur

• Like 2

7 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

How about Baby Elephant Walk?  No idea where it would necessarily fit in, but there might be somewhere it could be used.

The problem is really that TIA sucks with melodies (out of tune) and excels with percussions.

Baby elephant walk is from 1961. So it has the same problem as Spanish flea.

Besides... If you listen to this one channels. The bass + percussions is ok. But the melody solo is pretty terrible and out of tune.

• Like 1

Äfter hours trying to get anything decent out of TIA...

tia_EasterBoogie.fur

Player_NTSC.a26Player_PAL.a26

PS. this must be the WORST music chip I have worked with ever. And I disliked the Atari Lynx chip costing 22 cents to manufacture according to Epyx documents.

Perhaps I make 2 versions of the game. One with Spanish Flea and one with Easter Boogie. Then it is up to the gamer of what to listen to.

Have you seen The Perceptual Tuning Primer page? 

In short, "Perceptual Tuning refers to arranging TIA music in the key of A (specifically A3) with the intent to shift any poorly tuned notes to ones to ones aren't as easily detected as being poorly tuned."

The Practical Application section explains a bit more:

"The musical key with the best TIA Perceptual Tuning score for any 12 consecutive notes is A3@218.3Hz, and the A4 above it is good as well if you can avoid the major third at C#5@561.4Hz.

When you use the key of A3 in your composition, you don't have to avoid the less-well tuned notes - the point of of this technique is we've hidden TIA's weaknesses where our ears are weaker. Just go ahead and write your songs in the key of A3 as if TIA was as perfectly in-tune, and you'll be taking advantage of Perceptual Tuning."

There is a Samples section providing comparisons.

@RevEngdid a fantastic job with the entire page.  It is time well spent to read over the information, even if just for future reference and application.

Hope it is helpful here though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yep. I have read this and switched my music to A3/A5. It helps.

There is also some sounds that are nice but the pitch is very limited. I am still experimenting witch changing the instruments on the fly in the middle of the envelope.

The Spanish Flea turned out nice. Perhaps I just have to find similar tunes.

• Like 2

Nothing against 'The Entertainer' as a piece of music, but it has been pretty heavily used in games from the dawn of in-game music.  My suggestion would be to use something different.

That said, the TIA version above is pretty good all things considered :) 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Nothing against 'The Entertainer' as a piece of music, but it has been pretty heavily used in games from the dawn of in-game music.  My suggestion would be to use something different.

That said, the TIA version above is pretty good all things considered :) 

Thanks! As there is no dead line for the music I may try to write something from scratch.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I am also adding better feedback, reduce flicker of the foundation piles, add autorepeat for the joysticks for smoother movements. And add support for paddles. Paddles could be nicer to use than a joystick.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, miker said:

Cool ones!

@karri How dow you convert Furnace TIA-tunes into 2600 binaries?

I use the old pull request from @Dave C for the rom export. I have a version of it in my repo also: karrika/furnace at Mikey-rom-export (github.com)

From the command line I run the export like:

./furnace -romout tiatracker mytune.fur

The driver code itself is in furnace source in furnace/src/asm/6502/atari2600

Create the directory tiatracker and copy the driver from the furnace src there. After the export

cd tiatracker
make

And you will have executable players in the tiatracker/roms directory

So you need to clone the repo recursively like (I think):

git clone --recursive -b Mikey-rom-export https://github.com/karrika/furnace.git mikey-rom-export
cd mikey-rom-export
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1