It's a nice concept, but it's also a 100% no purchase for me no matter what it could potentially do.  I refuse, even if it's under the cap, to mutilate the plastic shell of the console itself for some fluffy dubious to last/be supported expansion piece.  It's the same reason why I was miffed when the ONE solution to get FC audio off the system vanished and in its place 2 popped up that also required chopping the bottom.  Not happening.

No the molding on the bottom was sealed off as they had no intent in the US to use the bottom for expansion purposes.  At least I've never come across one someone didn't actually cut(and only that's in pictures) where I've seen this.  I kind of wish they had just not had the pop off bottom seems odd.

Ahh sanrio hellscape got it.  Well yeah it's exactly how it was.  I guess maybe early on before it arrived in 85 maybe they wanted to use the port as it's there and active(semi active?) but then they decided not to and molded a 6 leg cap over the expansion port under the pop off cover maybe as it was cheaper to leave on tabs than re-mold the bottom having no port cover at all.

It certainly seems like a neat idea. I would be most curious about further hardware expansion capabilities. Apparently the original Disk System is one, but other devices or accessories others could come up with may be interesting, albeit probably somewhat pointless today.

Imagine a FPGA Master System that attaches to the bottom of your NES. I don’t even know if it would be possible, but if so it would be kind of ironic in a way. 🤣