IGNORED

Atari original VCS/2600 v 2600+

shane857

I myself want nothing to do with the 2600+.

I am old school, I’m sorry but for those of us that grew up with them in the 70s and 80s we continue to play our vintage 2600 units whether she be a Sixer a Woody or Vader or a short or long rainbow Jr. (or the UK/Ireland-made “Jr. Vader”) and at the most we send them out to get cleaned and UAV-modded to run on newer TVs.

As for 7800 games (and 5200 even though we risk losing 2600 adapter compatibility in the process) same scenario, OG, nothing but, then, we send them over to Ivory Tower Collections in Tulsa, OK to give them the ultimate mods, including composite/S-video output and Atarivox mix-input like I got mine last year.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 2:44 AM, BIGHMW said:

I myself want nothing to do with the 2600+.

I am old school, I’m sorry but for those of us that grew up with them in the 70s and 80s we continue to play our vintage 2600 units whether she be a Sixer a Woody or Vader or a short or long rainbow Jr. (or the UK/Ireland-made “Jr. Vader”) and at the most we send them out to get cleaned and UAV-modded to run on newer TVs.

As for 7800 games (and 5200 even though we risk losing 2600 adapter compatibility in the process) same scenario, OG, nothing but, then, we send them over to Ivory Tower Collections in Tulsa, OK to give them the ultimate mods, including composite/S-video output and Atarivox mix-input like I got mine last year.

Respect to you. I like the Atari 2600+, thou playing the games emulated is not the same experience as playing on actual hardware.

Lately I have been playing my 2600 carts on my original VCS and just using the 2600+ for the 7800 games as I do not own an actual 7800. 

• Like 1

For me personally, there will never be anything like a real 2600 and a CRT.

But I do really like the 2600+ as a means of playing 2600/7800 games on a modern TV without it looking terrible and without modding or f@#$ing around with converters and upscalers and retrotinks and all that crap. I don't love emulation, but it's a worthwhile compromise. Plus, it's a great-looking and well-built unit!

• Like 3

I like Old School,  but modded for crisp LCDs and put through Retro Tinks etc. (And stereos for good sound).  In simple terms,  you just have to remember to turn up your brightness and contrast...

Also Everdrives, GameDrives, Homebrews, and some cart collecting!

PS I do also have many Flashbacks and a RetroN 77...And they're fun too in their own way.

• Like 2

The 2600+ is perfect if you love crisp/clear pixels on a modern TV. Me personally, when I play my 2600 carts on the 2600+ it's...too perfect looking.

I prefer playing 2600 games on the original VCS through a retrotink lately...