IGNORED

Best of the best 7800 games

Classic Pac

Being a collector and player of 7800 carts. I know how easy it is to get bogged down by the worst of what became availible. But the very best and to the doubters out there the 7800 did have some amazing games and I thought

I like to pass that long with any other suggestions any of you out there might have.

F-18 Hornet flight sim

I don't know why people don't talk about this game. It was amazing and still is concidering the systems rep. But in a nutshell you have full control in a psudeo 3-D world. Although there are only 4 levels this game is HUGE and what you can do is amazing from fly through a covered bridge or through an open gate as slow or as fast as you want. Go on a mission or just fly around it is up to you. After all you can just about land or take off anywhere you want. All I can add is I never seen a game like this on any other system until

the XBOX.

F-14 Tomcat

Great fighting sim landing back on the carrier is all but impossible

Centipede

Ms. Pac-Man

Alien Brigade

The best shooter I ever played. The graphics can be bad on some levels but the action more than makes up for it.

My favs...

1) Xevious... Graphics not quite up to par with the arcade, but it sure makes up for it in gameplay!

2) Asteroids -- The smooth pseudo 3-d graphics and two-player options make this one you'll keep coming back to.

3) Ballblazer. Probably the hands down best game for the console.

4) Crossbow. Good translation of the arcade game

Yeap,

For me I was always playing the following:

Xevious

Double Dragon ( I did't have an SMS or NES then...)

Food Fight

Joust

Commando

Ikari Warriors

Ballblazer is nice, but it really is a two player game, and I never have thought the droid was all that.

8)

Food Fight!  Food Fight was the one reason I wanted a 7800 back in the day (my mother wisely got me an Nintendo instead).  

Tempest

yes yes yes!

i bought a 7800 just to play food fight!

such a fun game, if i can get the arcade machine i would probably cry with happyess!

anyway my top 5 would be....

1. Food Fight

2. Xevious

3. Commando

4. Dig Dug

5. Joust

I have this friend who got so good at Food Fight, no joke he racked up so many bonus men the game actually froze

On the default level 7800 FF is a breeze - Ive done the same thing :)

I like the game though

Ninja Golf I just dont understand - which is what I can say about most post 5200 games Atari released.

You want a 7800 with Ninja Golf or a NES with Super Mario Bros?

Id get the NES

Ninja Golf I just dont understand - which is what I can say about most post 5200 games Atari released.

You want a 7800 with Ninja Golf or a NES with Super Mario Bros?

Id get the NES

Well of course the NES wins that argument. But then again, Atari wasn't trying very hard to push innovation with the 7800 anyway. Officially, there were only 61 games. Think about that. Even in the same era, competing with NES and 7800, the Sega Master System managed 114. The NES, well, about 8 or 9 times as many as both put together. Still the 7800 was the bastard child of Atari, put out way too late to have a fighting chance and forced mostly to rely on it's 2600 backwards compatibility to have a library of games at all. If only they had released it in '84. Then again, if only they had licensed and sold the NES. Then again, if only... aww forget it Atari's corporate brass were the biggest bunch of cock-ups in the history of the industry.

Anyway, my votes for best games on the 7800 (my fav Atari machine, still)

Joust - 2 player or solitary, man this game is a BLAST! One of THE best and most playable ports ever (Lynx version is darn good, too)

Dig Dug - A very faithful translation and frustrating into the later levels (but very fun, still). Will always hold this game dear

Galaga - Love the bonus music upon getting all 40 bugs. Listen to that magnificently produced pseudo stereo surround sound! (I might be going overboard, but I really love this game)

Ace of Aces - A tough game, but I remember playing this non-stop for hours when I first got my 7800 (and laughed at all the NES owners with their excessively ugly, boxy clunker)

Food Fight - Never played this game til I bought it for this system. Now, I can't seem to stop.... Addictive and fun! ;-)

-Wes

F-18 Hornet  flight sim

I don't know why people don't talk about this game. It was amazing and still is concidering the systems rep. But in a nutshell you have full control in a psudeo 3-D world. Although there are only 4 levels this game is HUGE and what you can do is amazing from fly through a covered bridge or through an open gate as slow or as fast as you want. Go on a mission or just fly around it is up to you. After all you can just about land or take off anywhere you want. All I can add is I never seen a game like this on any other system until  

the XBOX.

That game there, Classic Pac, sounds almost exactly identicle to a game I had on Commodore Amega called "F-A 18 interceptor" (I think that's right) The part that got me is the description is perfect. And that's the only psudo 3D flying game I could think of that let you fly under a covered bridge, or through towns but everything else is flat. I thought it was funny to be able to land anywhere (even water as I recal, though you couldn't take off from water)

My faves are

Ms Pac-Man. It's perfect. Great little game sounds good, and it's fun.

Ball Blazer. Great psudo 3D soccor type game. Setable AI to your playing level. And lots of fun with friends, and cool soundtrack.

Joust. The best version of the game IMO, even graphicslly.

This is sorta new, but I've been addicted to 7800 KLAX ever since I got my hands on one of the early prototypes a few years back. I thought Block-Out was addictive, KLAX really taked the cake.

BTW, towards the bottom of the screen on KLAX there are two sets of initials, JAH and DAD... almost like it is supposed to be a two-player game where you enter your initials when you begin. Then again, I have a slightly different version than most I think. Has anybody else noticed this and does anybody know exacly why those initials are there? I know I must be overlooking something here.

ive never played f-18, but how does it compare to f-14 tomcat?

If you are looking for an amazing combat flying game and dont want to deal with the crap prop planes of microsoft combat sim get F/A-18 Strike Fighter for PC. The game is amazing in realism and they did an excellent job with the scenery. The manual is about 150 pages thick so you know its good haha.

BTW, towards the bottom of the screen on KLAX there are two sets of initials, JAH and DAD... almost like it is supposed to be a two-player game where you enter your initials when you begin. Then again, I have a slightly different version than most I think. Has anybody else noticed this and does anybody know exacly why those initials are there? I know I must be overlooking something here.

The initials are in the version that's out there, but if you want to find out if your version is different, you can always dump it and compare the files.

Mitch

I'm just really curious as to what those initials mean.

Possibly the programmer's initials. 7800 Klax was programmed by David Dentt, if his middle initial is "A" then that's what the DAD stands for. Maybe JAH is the initials of the artist or something.

Mitch

F-18 Hornet  flight sim

I don't know why people don't talk about this game.

Because it's not fun. At all. The novelty of the filled-polygon graphics is about all it has going for it.

F-14 Hornet was pretty hideous as well. A gussied-up 2600 port. IIRC, the only way to kill enemy jets was with guided missiles that only "lock" for the split second that your crosshair is over just the right pixel on them.