IGNORED

Will this mod kit work for the 5200?

paulwgraber

18 minutes ago, paulwgraber said:

Atari 2600/7800 Composite Video Mod Upgrade Kit - DIY | eBay

Or can anyone suggest one that wont take a year to get here.

It can be made to work...but I've heard mixed results regarding the output. I would advise going with a UAV for composite/s-video output that will look much better. Or... you can get the Sophia and have that routed for DVI, Component, or RGB output for the best from the system.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It can be made to work...but I've heard mixed results regarding the output. 

The output is garbage at best from that amp on a 5200. I've tried it just to see for myself.

Edited by Shawn

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

The output is garbage at best from that amp on a 5200. I've tried it just to see for myself.

I hadn't used it myself although I've removed quite a few from other 2600s and 7800s over the past few years where the owners wanted to replace them with UAVs. But as I send everything back that I remove, I never kept on on hand to mess around with.

9 minutes ago, paulwgraber said:

Can you guys send me a link for the UAV mod.

Several links on Utube where they are simply using a tiny board and it looks great. Is this the UAV?

Cause the UAV I saw was like $70.

The UAV is sold by The Brewing Academy. For the 5200 you want the 5200 prebuilt kit but with the output connector on the top not the bottom. Since you have a 4 port, the 4050 IC will be in a socket. As long as you don't care about the RF output anymore, you can remove that IC chip from the socket and then just stick the premade UAV right into it. From there you just need to install the AV jacks that you want to use. Although, it would be worth looking into doing a power conversion on it so you don't need the swtich box anymore and can have a standard DC jack to plug the 5200 PSU into on the console itself.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-5200/products/tba-ultimate-atari-video-uav-board-for-atari-5200

FWIW, I'll second the recommendation for the UAV.  Installed one in my 2-port a couple of years ago and am more than happy with its performance.

Thinking of it, pretty much every other 8-bit Atari system that I own has one in it - so there must be something good about them since I seem to keep buying them :P

On 3/20/2024 at 5:27 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I hadn't used it myself although I've removed quite a few from other 2600s and 7800s over the past few years where the owners wanted to replace them with UAVs. But as I send everything back that I remove, I never kept on on hand to mess around with.

On a 2600 or 7800 that amp is ok for a cheap alternative that gets you a half decent composite signal to the screen, on the 5200 though? No way, it's not even usable. IT's a wonky mess and goes out of sync on many newer screens to the point it won't even display an image.

Interesting.  I'm planning on using that mod for my 5200 because of this YouTuber...

It looks like the same mod as the first post, just the AliExpress version. I ordered a few a week or ago and plan on using them in my 4-port 5200 and my 2600 six-switch.