IGNORED

Question for the arcade Sprint games

jeremiahjt

The original Sprint arcade games were released by Atari, Inc. in the 1970s.  Atari SA currently has the rights to these of course. Sprint 8 was released on Atari 50 and Sprint 2 was released on Atari Vault.

My question regards the releases from Atari Games in the 1980s. How was Atari Games able to release Super Sprint and Championship Sprint? I can see Badlands not being a problem since the word "sprint" does not appear in the title, but the other two I am confused about.

I mean I can come up with reasons why it was okay; Atari Games licensed the name, Atari Corp. let the trademark lapse, the trademark only covered the word "sprint" followed by a number, etc.

I am curious what the actual reason is, if anybody knows.

Atari may have let it lapse, but single screen top down style racers are an unpopular enough genre that it seems nobody else actively used it, so I see no real conflict. The name isn't there, but Indy 500 for 2600 is the same basic game too. I loved that, to bad its the only driving controller game for the system (not including homebrew games)