IGNORED

Original Playstation a 2-D powerhouse?

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about this. I want to know what you guys think. I've been thinking with the original Playstation able to do 3-D, does that necessarily mean that it's a 2-D powerhouse?

What do you guys think?

Edited by guitarmas
Grammar.

It was the first thing you could play perfect emulation of original arcade games on.

The emulation was perfect, that's why I got 1 for all the arcade game pack releases.

And it came out 2 years before mame was even released.

I would say it definitely was :)

• Like 1

From what I remember : the Playstation can't do 2D in a traditionnal way... Which mean Playstation 2D games are all made of 3D elements just seen on flat surface (this is how the vast majority of 2D games are made those days, BTW).

This makes comparison hard to pull between a 2D and 3D machine.

This mean that the Playstation can do alot of things a traditionnal 2D machine can't do, but some things that many 2D machine could do easily had to be done by hand, like background scrollings.

Basically, the Playstation can be a 2D powerhouse, but you need to program it to pull the tricks you want.

• Like 1

Playstation, n64, and Saturn were all great 2d consoles, but I think all were actively discouraging 2d style games. That said, each had some pretty amazing 2d offerings, but they were few and far between.

PlayStation had Raymond which was cool, don't recall if it was the same as jaguar or not (never had the jag version, keep intending to pick it up, jaguar has tons of 2d style games too btw)

Clockwork knight and scud, the disposable assassin were faves of mine on Saturn, Saturn had quite a few 2d style games, I think Sega wasn't as anti 2d as the others.

Duke nukem meltdown was pretty cool on 64, can't really recall others on there, but I'm sure there are more.

Like stupus said, PlayStation era was the first to really have nearly perfect arcade emulation, though some 16 bits came close.