IGNORED

2024 Spring HSC - Round 3 - Tribute to 80s Action Movies & TV Shows Where the Hero Flew Helicopters or Jets...

I owned this back in the day, but I remember being a little disappointed. It looked good, but I thought it was really hard (compared to Afterburner, anyways). I haven't played it in ages, so let's see how accurate my memory is with Sega's unique two-perspective arcade game: Thunder Blade

119335-thunderblade-sega-master-system-f

For one bonus point, play any Sega Master System game where you fly a jet.

This round runs March 25 - April 7.

Totals

1. @wongojack 817,000 (+1)
  2. @BydoEmpire 628,000 (+1)
  3. @Zoyous 164,000
  4. @Dashopepper 150,000 (+1)
  5. @jeremiahjt 148,000 (+1)
  6. @fakecortex 98,000 (+1)
  7. Roland 8600 (+1)
  8. Buster the Cat (-1)
Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Getting on the board. I'm enjoying Thunder Blade more than I thought I would. It was pretty exciting to get to the 3D stage the first time. I have to learn not to fly too close to the top of the screen in the overhead stages, though, I tended to lose a lot of lives quickly. 149,000.

image.png.c5dc8edd14131f400cd922f7164aa920.png

Played a quick game of Afterburner - I might to do this as a full round at some point. It was the first (non-pack in) game I got w/ my Master System back in '89 or so.

image.png.f7330406c18dc4adf1afc03b7aba9fca.png

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

I played a bit more last night, and I like Thunder Blade.  One problem is that it is very hard to fire consistently - especially on the "3d" stages.  Press button = sometimes fires.

What is this group's opinion about turbo or auto-fire?  Because it is like a completely different game when using it.

Here's another score when NOT using auto-fire 692,000:
ThunderB.thumb.jpg.09a2f88aef91ec5dccddd9a27398e73f.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Buster was quite amused by Thunder Blade. I think she was pondering whether or not she could eat the helicopters flying around...

image.thumb.jpeg.ae54f6ddfde657cffb65208ef206b268.jpeg

What is this group's opinion about turbo or auto-fire?  Because it is like a completely different game when using it.

i'm open to whatever the group wants to do. Generally, I'm inclined to say no autofire for HSC games but I mostly play for fun so it's not that big a deal either way.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I played a bit more this weekend.  The game is a lot more fun with autofire, and I scored higher because of the bonus I could wrack up at the end of stage 1, but I still never moved beyond stage 2 even when using the continue "feature" explained in the manual. (Hold diagonal down right and press button 2).  I think I've decided to hold on posting my auto-fire scores.  If I score higher without it, I will post again.

• Like 1

164,000 - I barely had any spare time to play but I wanted to get something in, because I really like the Master System version of Thunder Blade. Although I think there's some questionable hit detection in the 3D sections, I like the 2D stages. I especially like the graceful curves and arcs of the enemy formations - a stylish touch which actually wasn't in the arcade version. And of course the title screen is classic.

For the bonus I played a quick round of After Burner, which I think is really good once you sort of adjust to the choppiness.

Zoyous-240406-AfterBurner.jpg

Zoyous-240406-ThunderBlade.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/3/2024 at 6:31 PM, jeremiahjt said:

I have already missed the first two rounds.  I really need to start getting some scores in.

Just throw a score in with us.  We aren't very serious.

• Like 1

I’m not so good at dodging these big ol jets, and it only gets harder on the 3D stage…

Thunder Blade - 98,000

IMG_1291.thumb.jpeg.a3b5ebd03406b0b7ea56b0e100b6df2d.jpeg

And you can guess what I played as a bonus…

”Get Ready!”

After Burner - 211,200

IMG_1294.thumb.jpeg.12ea3d1673590004ca4ed6c137fc87d5.jpeg
New high score! (At least that I have recorded.) Still seems pretty low. Fun game, can make me a bit dizzy haha. 

• Like 2

I did a little better.  This game is weird.  I have fun when I play it, but it is really hard to get better.  I think a lot depends on memorization and starting position when engaging specific groups of enemies. 817,000

ThunderB2.thumb.jpg.6cd35ad89bb695674ede0a560fd4d19b.jpg

• Like 2