IGNORED

Sophia 2 VGA Compatibility

Just installed a Sophia 2 into a 65XE remake for use on a Sharp LC20S5E-BK-WH TV, the only down side to this TV it does not have any Digital Inputs, so I am going to have to use its VGA input connected via a Standard 15 pin VGA Cable to a VGA to DVI Adapter.

The manual says its compatible with the following:-

image.png.6be3623af6daa25e72d56d49079f3950.png

Within SCONF.XEX I select VGA, as no other settings can be altered

image.thumb.png.ddfeb2b3d3a1f6cbaa1e4b325da60d47.png

And what i get when the VGA is connected is a brief flash of this:-

image.thumb.png.6e5df26d45e3287713574f7904056b1f.pngimage.png.0c649aed67ce45dbe00410ceb97db661.png

On my test mini test monitor, I do get an image in the correct colours but its offset to the right and the right side is chopped off, I put this down to it being a cheap Chinese 10 inch monitor.

Before I start travelling down to far into the Rabbit Hole, and as I have limited experience with the Sophia Devices, is there anything else I need to do or do I need another type of adapter etc?

6 minutes ago, Overange said:

Makes sense, in that instance I guess the easiest option would be to convert the computer to NTSC?

but then you'll lose compatibility for all those PAL specific games and demos! ;(  No more REWIND demo!!  ;) 

PAL demos probably won't run, because of the much tighter timing with the 60Hz refresh rate. The palette and an colour clock stay PAL. I have done this to one of my 800XL to play games in 60Hz via S-Video on my european 1084 monitor. With a real NTSC machine this monitor displays only black and white.

• Thanks 1

I have obtained another TV ( Sony KDL-20B4050 ), it has a single HDMI input and using a DVI to HDMI Connector plugged this in to the TV, at first I could not work out why by selecting HDMI output would not work, only to find out, however if I select AV4 then I get an output and yeah it looks so nice :)

Next project on the list will be to install a Sophia into my 600XL :)

• Like 1