IGNORED

Help in recalling two retro Famicon games

Hello everyone.

Just found out the existent of this forum through reddit.

I hope I am posting this thread in the right section of the forum.

I need help with identifying two games belonging to Famicon I guess, which I was really fond of, though I couldn't beat them or even get pass through any stages cause I was a kid at that time.

1) Originally a Japanese game I think.

The game is a single player 2D side-scroller action RPG game without character levels, where players could switch between a pink and a blue knight character anytime during gameplay.

The blue knight character could jump higher than the pink knight. However, it will die when it touches the water.

The pink knight is a vice versa of the blue knight; jumps lower than blue, but could survive under water.

If I remember correctly, as a player, we could slash through walls of bricks with swords to access otherwise hidden places.

There are monsters acting as obstacles. Upon killing, I don't think it drops anything...maybe coins...?

There's also maybe ladders...as well as caves...to access other areas...?

2) It's a single player 2D side-scroller action game, where the player controls a small guy trying to fend off enemies with a puny pistol,

and eventually finding an awesome robot to ride in, where attacking other enemies got a ton easier.

It's not an arcade style like Metal slug, but more like adventure style....in a futuristic environment setting I think...?

Hope someone could help identify these two games...

Thank you so much in advance!

Not sure about the first one (Legacy has many different characters, not just two), but the second one made me think of Metal Mech (not sure what the Japanese name is). You're a tiny dude that can explore higher parts of the levels, while the ground portions are mainly you in a large mech.

• Thanks 1

That second one, anymore detail?  I think I know what that may be, but I do not know the name of the game and maybe a few more things like look or color of the robot might help or what the kid looked like, or something about the stages or title screen that stood out?

As to the other, overly generic as well, any other details?  I know a good number of the games for the library and this is tricky.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 9:15 AM, Austin said:

Not sure about the first one (Legacy has many different characters, not just two), but the second one made me think of Metal Mech (not sure what the Japanese name is). You're a tiny dude that can explore higher parts of the levels, while the ground portions are mainly you in a large mech.

OMG Spot on!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

youve identified one of the game which Ive tried finding for ages!!

Thank you so so much!

Awesome community and would definitely recommend anyone else into retro gaming ☺️

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 10:53 AM, Tanooki said:

That second one, anymore detail?  I think I know what that may be, but I do not know the name of the game and maybe a few more things like look or color of the robot might help or what the kid looked like, or something about the stages or title screen that stood out?

As to the other, overly generic as well, any other details?  I know a good number of the games for the library and this is tricky.

Thank you so much for trying to help out!
Austin had it spot on. It was “Metal Mech”. 

As for the mentioned 1st game, I cant think of any other game, even modern ones, that has the feature to destroy walls with just swords…, for a 2D side scroller. 

Other details which I could remember, that stands out, is that once the player progresses through the game, their sword will receive upgrade and somehow able to slash and destroy multiple brick of walls with a swing of the sword. (I think I saw this in the game demo when we stay idle in the game start menu)
Without any game progression, players will not be able to pass through any walls/bricks because their sword will bounce off the wall when trying to slash it. 

On 3/29/2024 at 2:34 AM, Koa Zo said:

The first description brought to mind Legacy of the Wizard.

Thanks for mentioning the game title of Legacy of the Wizard!☺️

I tried narrowing the search and found a game really close to what I believe might be the game Ive searched for ages; “Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious (Majou Densetsu II: Galious no Meikyuu in Japan)”

• Like 1

Ive finally found the first game title!
Thanks to everyone here being so helpful!

The game title is called “NES Majou Densetsu II: Daimashikyou Galious”. 
Its indeed the Japanese version of the game which I played. 

Once again, thank you all!!!

Feels like Ive finally found another lost part of myself ☺️

IMG_4264.png

• Like 1

Nice, wish I was around but yesterday was a holiday and well ...overnight.  I was thinking Ropit on the one that was metal mech, the description fit pretty decently but yeah I can see that too since you remember it now.  The other was thinking it was perhaps the two you eventually mentioned, the Gallious game or Knightmare.  I've seen the art pop up in the Konami Pixel Puzzle game on iOS enough times but also over many months have gone through all the Famidaily videos on YT where a nutty amazing person bought up, catalogued, and 5-10min reviewed every single game in chronological order to watch/listen to, to learn about the stuff.