IGNORED

Jaguar Programming

TheAntiLuddite

A few months ago I decided to pare down my rather large collection (23 systems) to just 3 favorites, one of which happened to be my Jaguar + JagCD. This little guy has been my favorite for quite a while, for what I believe are two main reasons. One, the system was powerful but never really had a chance, as Atari was in its last days and couldn't afford to spend the advertising and promotional dollars. And two, it was Atari's last home console. Like many here, I grew up with Atari, and the console holds oceans of nostalgia for me. But I digress...

I've developed in a number of languages (currently Delphi), and think it would be beyond cool to compile and run something on the console--maybe not a fully-fledged game, but some sort of executable. I'm aware of an Alpine system that, I believe, was used to develop for the JagCD. So I have a couple of questions. What do I need to compile and run code on a stock Jaguar, either CD or cart? I know the JagCD uses some form of CD encryption, so a bypass cart is necessary to run homebrew CD titles. I've also heard that another forum member, StarCat(?), has some tools that might make the learning curve a little less steep. Any info or a push in the right direction is appreciated. Thanks.

whoooooooot!!!!!!

To develop games for the Atari Jaguar you can do the following:

Bjl youre jaguar (recommend by stone since hes the best)

Get a bjl cable

StarCat Development Library cd.

or you could just buy a:

official Atari jaguar development kit.

Since i know you want to spend as les as possible to develop games for the atari jaguar. i recommend to first try too Bjl youre Jaguar.

Bjl stands for Behind Jaggy Lines. Its a regular jaguar but modified. so you will either 1. part with youre bjl for some weeks. or 2. let the bjller buy another jaguar.

The total price for a atari jaguar+bjl+bjlcable+S7H (depends i think) would be approxmatily 70 pounds. nearly 98 eurs i tihnk ;).

To get teh Starcat development library. goto starcats site: www.atari-jaguar64.de

the SDL will contain lots of source codes, official documents, examples etcetc.

THe price of this is 15 dollars/euros including S&H.

However. before you run outsite and do middle in the rain the midgetdance, i want to say that programming for the Atari Jaguar requires Motorola 68000 Assembler. Also the atari jguar has some more proccesors, but the Motorola 68000 is the start.

Once you have masterd this than CONGRATS!! you can develop games for the atari jaguar.

However. you need lots of time and you should really REALLY want to do this. Because Jaguar coding isnt 1,2,3 ;)

for mroe information you can contact me at my: Yahoo, Aim, ICQ,Msn.

or drop a email to my following email adresses:

Dragonforce@andorramania.zzn.com

Dragonforce@atarijaguar.net

Dragonforce1985@hotmail.com

Bracada_desert@hotmail.com

Garrote_gorge@hotmail.com

etcetc (got loads more ;))

orr....just stay contact trough Atariage :P :D

I've developed in a number of languages (currently Delphi), and think it would be beyond cool to compile and run something on the console--maybe not a fully-fledged game, but some sort of executable.

It's great to see your interest in Atari Jaguar development. Every new Jaguar coder is something good and a step into the right direction.

The main language that is used to program Jaguar programs is Assembler. So if you already know assembler it's quite easy to lern the Motorola 68000 (CPU of the Jag) assembler and later learn the custom RISC assemblers.

There is also an option to use C on the Jaguar, however I recommend using Assembler. It's most common and most Jag coders will be able to help you with questions in that case.

I'm aware of an Alpine system that, I believe, was used to develop for the JagCD.

Actually it was the official dev kit that was used to create all official Jaguar games. Jaguar CD games were created with a special Jaguar CD unit connected to an Atari Falcon home computer.

However there are many more options to create programs for the Jaguar these days.

So I have a couple of questions.  What do I need to compile and run code on a stock Jaguar, either CD or cart?

There are several possible ways:

Either a hobby solution:

BJL (available as Cartridge in the form of Protector SE or as modification to the Jaguar itself)

JUGS (available as Cartridge in the form of Battlesphere / Battlesphere Gold)

Or a professional dev kit:

Alpine Board

Personally I would suggest you get Protector SE.

It includes BJL and CD Bypass as well as SaveGame memory for CD games.

BJL has the advantage that it's cheap, is easy to use, and fast.

It's limited to the internal Jaguar RAM (2MB).

Alpine Boards also make cartridge development possible, but it's very expensive $350-$550 depending on where you buy it.

CD games can be created with both alpines and BJL, if you have a cd bypass binary or cd bypass cart (included in protector se).

The cheapest and way of choice for you is this I think:

-Protector SE

-BJL Cable (needs to be built, Stone of the forum can probably help you with that)

-Jaguar Unit

-Jaguar CD Unit (optional)

-Starcat Development CD ( http://www.starcat-dev.de/products.php , contains all the tools, source codes, docs etc that you need to get started, including the Starcat Developments Jaguar Library, which makes Jag coding a lot easier for beginners.)

I know the JagCD uses some form of CD encryption, so a bypass cart is necessary to run homebrew CD titles.  

Exactly.

I've also heard that another forum member, StarCat(?), has some tools that might make the learning curve a little less steep.

Yes, that's me. :D

They probably mean the Starcat Developments CD, to be more specific the Jaguar Library I was talking about up there.

Any info or a push in the right direction is appreciated.  Thanks.

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me.

Regards, Lars.

Thanks for all the help. I actually programmed in MC68000 assembler when I was at my university (computer engineering degree). While I'm no expert, I do have some familiarity with it, and I'm sure a lot of it will come back once I delve into it again. Maybe I'll be doing Dragonforce's "middle in the rain the midgetdance" after all. :D

I'm also glad to hear source code examples exist. I've found them to be of great value when trying to pick up those crucial tricks that textbook programming doesn't hit upon.

Again, thanks for the replies. Who knows, maybe I'll have something to offer in a year or so (I'm sure you've heard that before). :roll:

Later

I've actually wanted to write a game for the Jag for a long time now. I should be getting a newb's guide for the MC68000(I read Starcat's reccomendation to Dragonforce and found a cheap copy on Amazon) pretty soon.

Since it's on the topic, I had a few questions(mostly theoretical). I've been reading for a while that a person could write a cd game using BJL, but I'm somewhat confused. Are the cd games limited to 2 megs(the Jag's Ram), or can the entire cd be used(all 790 megs)? I know that there was a big deal made about the multi-program cd's a while back, I think it threw me off.

Another question: Theoretically, could a top-down(i/e: Bird's Eye View) game be created? More specifically, rather than use sprites, could the character's and the landscapes be a 3D poly engine? I guess the best example would be something like GTA 2, cept with the characters being polygon based instead of sprite based.

I'm working on a game design just in case I can learn to program assembly. My original goal was a 3D 3rd-person game such as Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid, or even Hybrid Thunder. However, I have got some ideas for a more creative(perhaps more unique) perspective. Also, the Jag would be able to pull it off much easier.

I can't say that i'll ever make or even finish it, but it would be awesome if I could, and i'm certainly going to make the attempt. Why? Just so I can make the Jaguar do some incredible stuff. If nothing else, it'll be a great learning experience.

Sorry, kinda got off the topic a bit. Hope my questions aren't annoying.

To answer TheGrandPubaa's question, CD games created with BJL aren't necessarily limited to the 2MB internal RAM - it is possible to load further data off the CD into a RAM-buffer. But this is a pain in the butt to develop (since you need to make an actual CD with all the data on to be able to even run your code) and probably would take a lot longer to get anywhere with than the standard method.

The standard method is to make a game which will run on normal BJL (as in, can be uploaded to the RAM as with all other demos etc) and then just distribute it on CD. This is slightly technical but still very doable; if anyone needs help with it then there's quite a few people who'd be able to help you out. This basically exploits a small bug in the JagCD (boot tracks can be any length, not the 64KB that Atari published), so you can put your entire game/program into the boot track and specify a start address, and the JagCD will load it up and run it for you :) This, incidentally, was how Painter was distributed.

To address Walter's question, JUGS is a BJL alternative built into Battlesphere and Battlesphere Gold cartridges. You need a Jaglink and a custom cable to connect the Jag to the PC, and the data link is serial, which makes it pretty slow compared to BJL's parallel transfer. It does allow you to code without hacking the console though,. The major disadvantage is how rare/expensive BS/BSG carts are, which makes buying Protector: SE a better bet (around $70 from Songbird Productions, still available), as it comes with the BJL laoder built-in. This however doesn't include the BJL stack-dump/register-dump/error indicators though, so it's more of an upload tool than a proper coding platform. If you're happy coding without a debugger this may suit you just fine though :)

Hope that helped.

Stone

Hi !

I've actually wanted to write a game for the Jag for a long time now. I should be getting a newb's guide for the MC68000(I read Starcat's reccomendation to Dragonforce and found a cheap copy on Amazon) pretty soon.  

Since it's on the topic, I had a few questions(mostly theoretical). I've been reading for a while that a person could write a cd game using BJL, but I'm somewhat confused. Are the cd games limited to 2 megs(the Jag's Ram), or can the entire cd be used(all 790 megs)? I know that there was a big deal made about the multi-program cd's a while back, I think it threw me off.

Another question: Theoretically, could a top-down(i/e: Bird's Eye View) game be created? More specifically, rather than use sprites, could the character's and the landscapes be a 3D poly engine? I guess the best example would be something like GTA 2, cept with the characters being polygon based instead of sprite based.  

I'm working on a game design just in case I can learn to program assembly. My original goal was a 3D 3rd-person game such as Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid, or even Hybrid Thunder. However, I have got some ideas for a more creative(perhaps more unique) perspective. Also, the Jag would be able to pull it off much easier.  

I can't say that i'll ever make or even finish it, but it would be awesome if I could, and i'm certainly going to make the attempt. Why? Just so I can make the Jaguar do some incredible stuff. If nothing else, it'll be a great learning experience.

Sorry, kinda got off the topic a bit. Hope my questions aren't annoying.

With BJL you can also develop full Jaguar CD games, that take the whole CD.

Actually my projects could also be done with BJL. :D

To answer your other questions...

Top Down games are possible of course. Everything polygon based is difficult though and needs very good knowledge of 3D engines and assembler programming.

Regards, Lars.