IGNORED

TAC-2 joystick question

RobMA

Hi All,

I have trouble with the tightness of the traditional atari joystick so I found the TAC2 to be easier to move.  That said I found one on ebay and it works for a few minutes then it is no longer able to move down.  If i reset everything is works again for a short while.  Any idea on how to troubleshoot? Or is there an updated joystick that I should invest in that is similar ?

Thanks

Rob

It would greatly help to understand if the problem is mechanical (the joystick) or software (2600+).   What are you doing when you 'reset everything'? 

- does unplugging and reseating the connector fix your problem? The 2600+ port is loose relative to real hardware and it's possible the down-pin has a poor connection.  I use a DB9 male-to-male connector to fix this problem with some of my controllers.

- does the same problem occur with Port-2 on the 2600+ ? 

- if you leave the TAC2 plugged in and the 2600+ on, will the down-direction restore function if left alone for a period of time?  This may indicate a mechanical fatigue and you'll have to open it up (looks very easy) and check the connection between the metal-ball on the shaft and the top-metal plate.  If you have a multi-meter checking the connection from pin-2 (down) to ground (pin-8) would be useful, especially when you observe failure.  

- is the only fix a power-cycle of the 2600+?

The controller port on the plus isn't as tight as original hardware. Couple that with in general short cords, and I could see the plug backing out as you play, losing connection.

Don't know if it would help, but maybe try a controller extension cable? The extra length may help not have the controller cord move as much directly at the console.

Something like these 

https://www.amazon.com/JoFong-Controller-Extension-Consoles-cable-new-abc/dp/B0B8D436J1/ref=mp_s_a_1_65?crid=33BKY2NF687B4&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.y3ueqEqeRrYFbhkzp681q7WViVi2wFaF02z6Tt2OogkzqoBU8FwDIFtSDJCvskb1DvkC6Ao5_q9yd_tdL5anGu4ozqbeFks_6lTDp7AG-pwLzewKU-cr6gI6W9a9PuOnulq_PpP-LFjepxankTHdbxxVHw4hUilookH9DmEBFsFiq90cAWDNktquHNUWdN2kwL5k1nYuMjxWZvhgJ7tuBw.tLG1gf5U2_cZsArTbavd-vqeBGB721vw6hSDcqVm7sc&dib_tag=se&keywords=atari+2600%2B&qid=1711834439&sprefix=atari+2600%2B%2Caps%2C368&sr=8-65

By resetting everything I am turning off the 2600+ and back on.  Thanks for all the comments, the connection is not as tight as the regular joystick so I'll try the extension cable first perhaps my excitement of Ms-Pacman is causing the connection to come a bit loose.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

There are a ton of places that offer amazing Third, party controllers for atari on etsy and ebay.

There's no need to suffer with the old controllers that were available in the nineteen eighties.

TAC-2 joysticks are awesome. There is no "suffering" with them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shit on the TAC-2. It looks cool. I've never actually used one.

I had a Wico Commander tho and I wasn't really a huge fan of it, too stiff.

I finally just got modern recreations of arcade style joysticks and I'm satisfied. Third party joystick tech by companies like Sanwa are quite good these days, and people made whole businesses out of it online. 

I get it if it's a nostalgia kick tho. 

Edited by tradyblix