IGNORED

Pac-Line 2600: Atari 2600 Homebrew

53 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We're sitting discussing something at 1:04:53 and we've been in the game over state for about 2.5 minutes. I watched around that mark several times but nothing on the screen seems to change and I can't find any issue except the cat jumps up on Tanya's lap. 😻 Can you describe what you're seeing?

- James

image.thumb.png.bf976821645b02211d16a7879ee0dcaa.png

image.thumb.png.edce43a7d5af0f54aec59ce9d724b4aa.png

It happens within the next second. Tanja is chasing a blinking ghost to the right. And suddenly the ghost jumps to the right. Your total time is ~24 Minutes lower than mine, so you have to reduce my timestamp by ~24 minutes too.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

It happens within the next second. Tanja is chasing a blinking ghost to the right. And suddenly the ghost jumps to the right.

Ah! That is the time stamp from the Twitch stream, I was looking at the YouTube stream time stamp, that explains it.

The jump is present on both the Vimeo and YouTube versions which means it was both streamed and recorded like that. Luckily I'm moving my hands during the jump and there's no corresponding large jump in my hand movements or in the audio which means there's not a drop in frames of the stream/recording. This means that it's either the game or the encoding hardware/software.

Both Pac-Man and the ghost jump at the same time and there's also a significant and very obvious distance they both move. I was not watching the screen at the time and I definitely would have seen that issue had I been watching. I'm guessing that Tanya would have seen a big error like that and let me know so it probably didn't happen on the screen that is connected to the hardware encoder passthrough. I've never seen this happen while playing in Stella or on my console so I'm really, really leaning toward there being an issue with the video capture device or OBS and skipping a bunch of frames all at one (buffer issue?).

I'll keep an eye out for this happening again and watch for any reports of it happening to anyone else. Thanks for noticing that!

- James

Frame Before Jump:

image.thumb.png.76c2329aaa04d169f35b06a366956a2d.png

Frame After Jump:

image.thumb.png.d44fd6cec091128e5fa7b6fc1b1b5b3c.png

Two Frames Overlayed:

image.thumb.png.c443053ea85eccf85368f7c153aac5d2.png

27 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Luckily I'm moving my hands during the jump and there's no corresponding large jump in my hand movements or in the audio which means there's not a drop in frames of the stream/recording.

That what I was checking too, before reporting.

27 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I've never seen this happen while playing in Stella or on my console so I'm really, really leaning toward there being an issue with the video capture device or OBS and skipping a bunch of frames all at one (buffer issue?).

But then, has there been this kind of frame skip before?

BTW: IMO the digits 6 and 9 look odd compared to the other ones. You should make them 1 pixel wider.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That what I was checking too, before reporting.

But then, has there been this kind of frame skip before?

Not that I've noticed but I don't watch a lot of the encoded output, only when I need to review portions of the footage.

21 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: IMO the digits 6 and 9 look odd compared to the other ones. You should make them 1 pixel wider.

Good eye, those are the two that stand out to me as well and I made a mention of the two of them during the stream. Here they are 1 pixel wider, WAY BETTER!

FIXED 6:

image.png.8ec51051a6fc395f102949c35addca12.png

FIXED 9:

image.png.9c361a4f1a7c911d72402e48ed9d08c8.png

- James

• Like 5

Love all of the work that has gone on into this game!

One other "stretch goal" consideration - perhaps some sort of special acknowledgement in game in case you get past a certain score which you would consider being "patch worthy".  And if you have several hundred bytes left that you don't know what to do with, perhaps a "Zeropage Homebrew" splash screen complete with the "dun DUN, dun DUN, dun DUUUUUUN [ding]" intro like on your web streams.

• Thanks 1

Much better. 👍 Now 2 and 5 stick out a little bit, the small line lines at the top or bottom look odd. :) 

BTW: It just occurred to me, that one could create an 8 player, single button game (like VROOM!) from this game idea. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, e1will said:

Great game, really fun! Nice work, James.

Now I gotta see who shows up after Clyde.

Pac-Line007290.jpg

Thank you so much and congrats on getting the top score in this build so far! I've added your score to the first post. 🙂

Blinky returns with a vengeance at the moment after Clyde but more ghosts will be coming soon.

- James

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Much better. 👍 Now 2 and 5 stick out a little bit, the small line lines at the top or bottom look odd. :) 

The 2 & 5 stuck out to me too after the update, they were definitely not chonky enough to match up. I've now updated the 2 & 5 and also updated the title at the top to match the new number font! Enough messing about with the fonts for now.

image.thumb.png.9f25bf0292f9ad897330bf335e927cb1.png

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: It just occurred to me, that one could create an 8 player, single button game (like VROOM!) from this game idea. 

It's a fun idea that I posted about this earlier in the thread.

On 4/6/2024 at 10:44 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

It would be amazing to add another game board beneath to make it a two player game! This could also extended to four players stacked on top of each other, each using the paddle button (or QuadTari with four joysticks) to turn their player around. The original game used a one-button approach to start the game and then turn the player. I'm not a fan of the one button gameplay and find it much harder than left-right controls but it would be worth the sacrifice to have four people play at once! I wonder if there would be enough processing time to calculate everything to keep track of four players without adding more processor power, I could definitely see squeezing two players in there. 🙂I think this would be a really fun future extension to the game and will definitely think about it after finishing everything on my current roadmap!

- James

• Like 2

3 hours ago, littaum said:

Love all of the work that has gone on into this game!

Thank you so much, I love playing Atari homebrew games and now I love MAKING Atari hombrew games too! 🙂

3 hours ago, littaum said:

One other "stretch goal" consideration - perhaps some sort of special acknowledgement in game in case you get past a certain score which you would consider being "patch worthy".  And if you have several hundred bytes left that you don't know what to do with, perhaps a "Zeropage Homebrew" splash screen complete with the "dun DUN, dun DUN, dun DUUUUUUN [ding]" intro like on your web streams.

I love patches and patch scores and that's definitely something to consider once the game is done. I have a lot more to add into the game so I'm not sure how much room I'll have left for extras, we'll see!

- James

UPDATED VERSION POSTED!

image.thumb.png.3c67e8ea303605ad329f98f278dbb43a.png

Download the latest version in the top post! There aren't any new features but the ZPH graphic and score font is so much better it's hard for me to know that people are playing the older version. Enjoy the update and let me know if you find any bugs! 🙂

- James

Updates Since Last Version:

• ✓ Implemented saving collision data right after drawing maze due to new ZeroPage Homebrew graphic (20240410)
  • ✓ Updated ZeroPage Homebrew footer graphics with cleaner stripes and black background <- Thanks @Al_Nafuur (20240410)
  • ✓ Updated font graphics for 2, 5, 6 & 9 plus updated the Game Title at top with new font <- Thanks @Thomas Jentzsch (20240410)
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Nice game so far!

You should implement the sounds of the 2600 version of Pac-Man!

Thanks so much, more features to come!

I'm hoping to try to recreate the Arcade sounds as close as I can in coming iterations to replace the temp sounds. Maybe I can put in the 2600 bong-bong wafer eating and pok-wah ghost eating sounds as an Easter Egg. 😉

- James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dire 51 said:

Every time I try to download the ROM, I'm told that it contains spyware or malware. Anyone else having this problem?

This issue should probably be made a sticky post somewhere as I see people struggling with it throughout the forum. Here's the fix and screenshots for both Chrome and Firefox since you didn't say what browser you were using. I'm sure it's similar for other browsers.

IN CHROME: Go to Settings (three dots in top right) then Privacy and Security, then Security, then change your 'Safe Browsing' setting to a lower protection until you can download.

IN FIREFOX: Go to Settings (three lines in top right) then Privacy and Security, then scroll down to Security, then uncheck 'Block dangerous downloads'. You can also allow files one by one if you're not comfortable turning that off by clicking on the download icon in the top right (down arrow into bin) and then allowing the file.

- James

CHROME:

image.thumb.png.113852b5155bb005310ed35bfb5dfa0e.png

FIREFOX:

image.thumb.png.dc7e5942b0702f3ca45eef4f64caed5b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 3:39 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

This issue should probably be made a sticky post somewhere as I see people struggling with it throughout the forum. Here's the fix and screenshots for both Chrome and Firefox since you didn't say what browser you were using. I'm sure it's similar for other browsers.

Many thanks for this! I'm using Firefox, and used the method you wrote up got it through without any issues. I've really liked what I've played so far!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Here is a quick mockup which shows how a multiply player PacLine game might look like.

test_49.thumb.png.ce9e5b02b397b5b00621e20172be5060.png

PacLine x 8 Demo.bin 2 kB · 9 downloads

Pretty cool! It definitely looks like it could be mass chaos! 

I was wondering how score could be displayed. Perhaps each player could have an associated color, and the score displayed is the player that most recently scored a point with the score in their associated color (so maybe each Pac-Man should be the appropriate color as well).

• Like 2