IGNORED

Games I can play on 2600+ that CAN’T play on 7800 on my TV

So in Addition to the 2600+ I also have a UAV modded 7800 going through a retro rink mini.

but there are a few games I can’t play on the 7800 on my Samsung QLED tv because it is not tolerant enough of the scanline count/output from the 7800 on those games:

Starmaster - I get nothing. 
Spider-Man - game plays but frequent video drops make it impossible to play. 

both of these carts play perfectly on the 2600+

I think Starmaster is one of the games that is known to have issues on a 7800. 
don’t know about SpiderMan. 

I’ll have to check on that. 

edit

Nevermind. It was Robot Tank I was thinking of. 

Edited by MikeM_

8 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

I think Starmaster is one of the games that is known to have issues on a 7800. 
don’t know about SpiderMan. 

I’ll have to check on that. 

edit

Nevermind. It was Robot Tank I was thinking of. 

Nah, Starmaster is not a problematic 7800 game. It worked fine on every TV I had before. It’s a problem from any 2600 or 7800 on certain newer TV models that aren’t tolerant of slightly out of spec display frequencies.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 9:10 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Nah, Starmaster is not a problematic 7800 game. It worked fine on every TV I had before. It’s a problem from any 2600 or 7800 on certain newer TV models that aren’t tolerant of slightly out of spec display frequencies.

Starmaster along with a list of other games are known to have issues due to their programming not being strict to the proper scanline counts. The fact that you are using a 7800 doesn't matter. What does matter is that the RF input on even newer TVs also seems more forgiving of this. But once you improve the video signal with composite or s-video, then the tolerances just aren't there since it is expected that the signals will be more proper at that point. Buck Rogers is the only game on my AV setup to give me any issues so until folks started to talk about it, it wasn't even something I was aware of or had issues with. But then I'm using a TV that is nearing a decade in age now and use hardware from the early 2000s to handle most of the processing before it gets to my more modern TV.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Starmaster along with a list of other games are known to have issues due to their programming not being strict to the proper scanline counts. The fact that you are using a 7800 doesn't matter. What does matter is that the RF input on even newer TVs also seems more forgiving of this. But once you improve the video signal with composite or s-video, then the tolerances just aren't there since it is expected that the signals will be more proper at that point. Buck Rogers is the only game on my AV setup to give me any issues so until folks started to talk about it, it wasn't even something I was aware of or had issues with. But then I'm using a TV that is nearing a decade in age now and use hardware from the early 2000s to handle most of the processing before it gets to my more modern TV.

I have had these issues with my composite modded PAL Atari 2600. Some games like gorf 2600 and superman on my original Atari are black screen. Play fine thou on the 2600+.