IGNORED

Atari acquires Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 from Frontier for $7m

Without trying to take into account the prize-tag for Battlezone. - since I don’t know it -, I’m pretty confident that obtaining the Battlezone IP  - and using both D.E. and Nightdive to make the most out of it, such a move could’ve brought Atari straigth back to the center of top modern Arcade FPS-game producers,  while simultaneously bridge modern Atari all the way back to its beginning with endless commercial opportunities to explore.

3 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

"Frontier has been publishing the game on PC, Mac, iOS and Nintendo Switch under the Frontier Foundry games label, generating profit (net sales receipts after deduction of all costs) of approximately US$ 1.5 million per year."

It seems strange that sales should be that stable. I am guessing that is an average over all the years The Complete Edition has been available, and that the current annual figure is much lower.

17 hours ago, Video said:

I wasn't aware roller coaster tycoon really did all that well. It exists, sure, but even on a board dedicated to Atari I never see it discussed. The last one I bought still had Atari logos on it, but producing, or publishing, doesnt mean owning. Like in the early 00's era, atari logos were on dragon ball z and Godzilla games, and I know they don't own those.

I loved it BITD,  but I think of it more as a Chris Sawyer/Microprose title than a "Classic Atari Game".  It just got absorbed into the Infrogrames/Atari whirlwind of the early 2000s

14 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

15th best selling PC game of all time.    Waaay ahead of many other games you may have heard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

I see RCT1 is way down the list at 4 mil with 'better source needed',   Around 2000  The Sims and RCT1 were the hottest PC games around,  so it's odd to see it so much lower than RCT3,  I suspect the true sales were much higher.

• Like 1

The press release mentioned Atari had all the major RollerCoaster Tycoon games' publishing rights. It got me wondering about the minor games.  The only games I see that were not mentioned were the original RollerCoaster Tycoon, 3 Mobile, 4 Mobile, 3D, and Adventures. I assume the first game is covered under the Classic version. The 3D game was for the 3DS, which I guess does not matter anymore. I have no clue on the other 3.