I didn't think it was all that bad when I've had the cart before, and really for NES I still don't exactly either.  That said, quite a lot of aesthetically nicer things that were done to make it up to snuff more with the PC release which is a good thing.

• Like 1

Well apart from this improved hack, i found the nes version of lemming more difficult to play because you can only build bridges in a certain grid and if you wanted to build a bridge on top on another bridge like in those corners like in that level as shown in the video, you have to time it frame and pixel perfectly to do so, i found it soooo anoying to run out of building blocks for these bridges to buld, all because of miss timings,ouch,

also once i discovered these other versions of lemmings i then did realize that i had many things from it, such as voices,brighter colors and levels being more stretched horizontally along with slightly more friendly controls,

heck even the mastersystem version did had voices in it despite lacking a digital soundchannel for it while the nes and even the gameboy does have a dedicated soundchannel for voice samples for it but those versions of it does at average lack voices in it.

• Like 1

For what it's worth my original play and only full playthrough of Lemmings was the old original Windows version of it.  I've had the NES, GB/GBC versions too, dabbled with the SNES one and they're all solid for the format, but also solidly inferior as they were just not going to copy what the computer version was tweaked specifically to do with those tools at hand.