IGNORED

A5200 UAV mod. Screen is very dark

paulwgraber

So I have completed my UAV mod. Using composite. 4 port 5200. Pulled socket chip out replace with UAV mod chip. Jumper too R3 R4.

Also did power mod. Power mod works great.

UAV mod works but I noticed the screen is very dark. I adjusted the color pot but this had no effect on brightness. I attached some pics but in reality its a lot darker than the pictures. Didnt bother with sound yet as I am trying to dial in the video first. What am I doing wrong.

Brightness on my CRT is cranked way up as is contrast.

IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_6810.jpg

IMG_6811.jpg

IMG_6809.jpg

OMG that did it. What a perfect picture. Why didnt I do this before!!!!

Thank you so much. Question though. How come the jumpers werent already set since it was the 5200 ver I bought of the UAV?

I thought it came pre set?

Man what a great picture. Sooooo much better.

Now I need to wire the sound which Im doing without the Audio companion but an original mod board I had {those cheap ones} Going to try and just use the sound part of it.

@paulwgraber I can't answer that as I actually don't purchase the premade boards. I only buy the basic board with out manual for 2600 and 7800 use, and I buy the DIY kit that you can put together for the 5200 setups. That way I still get most of the parts I need and I can assemble the UAV in a smaller and more compact way. So as an example, the jumpers aren't used in my setups. I instead use bits of clipped leads off components to put through the center vias to make my own permanent jumpers. 

As for the audio, the easiest thing there is to get yourself like a 2k - 6.8k resistor and attach that inline off the top of R50 which is located just left and about center of the RF ground trace on the right hand side of the board. Now I usually add a 10µf capacitor off that resistor inline also but that isn't 100% required.

image.png.95c299b67cb80cb1a159ccccffa2ae1a.png

10 hours ago, paulwgraber said:

OMG that did it. What a perfect picture. Why didnt I do this before!!!!

It is nice, isn't it? :D 

Thank you so much. Question though. How come the jumpers werent already set since it was the 5200 ver I bought of the UAV?

I thought it came pre set?

Some are, some aren't.  I've had them turn up both ways before.  Generally, though, I'm buying the kits and not the premade ones.

Man what a great picture. Sooooo much better.

Now I need to wire the sound which Im doing without the Audio companion but an original mod board I had {those cheap ones} Going to try and just use the sound part of it.

My recommendation: leave the audio board(s) out and put a 6.8KΩ resistor on the audio output.  An IAB was installed in my daily-driver 5200 for some time, but was ultimately removed as it really wasn't necessary.  In the 400 and 800 there're some strong arguments in favour of it, but for pretty much any other A8 variant it's optional at best IMHO.

OK. I will let you guys know how the audio turns out. There is a resistor on the audio board I have so Ill just use that resistor.

Again a big thank you. I always try to keep my systems original like my 6 switch Sunnyale 2600 but the UAV is nice I must admit.

5 hours ago, paulwgraber said:

So do I need to ground the audio out or just run it direct with the R?

The way I've been doing it is to run the audio directly to the output with the resistor in-line.  For grounding, the jack / cable's ground provides that independently.

42 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Perhaps a quick 30 seconds video of the final picture and audio just to see the difference would help.

Oh...I've plenty of examples of this. But as all of my client videos are unlisted on my channel for their privacy, it is up to them on whether they want to post any of the details of those videos.