IGNORED

Pitfall! Mystery (Mandela effect?)

jeff20

In the 80s, I recall Pitfall! (NTSC) having an unusual visual: when standing directly below Harry, the scorpian would alternate between the left facing and right facing characters rapidly, creating a flickering (mirrored) effect.  I have not been able to reproduce this.  Now, the scorpian simply freezes in place until Harry moves again.

Could it have been the TV?  A different ROM version?  I attempted to recreate the effect with a switch box on an older television.  Does anyone else remember this visual effect?

Edited by jeff20

I also seem to remember the scorpion behaving that way. It might have to do with some detail we’re overlooking.

Maybe it only happens on certain screens, or in particular places, or while under a ladder, etc.

Hello, friend.  I considered that.  Pitfall II does not.  The scorpian actually does not track Harry at all in that game.  The visual effect I am talking about is when Harry is above ground and the scorpian is directly below him.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Could it have been a different version? Intellivision, 5200, Colecovision, etc.?

I've considered that as well.  I actually have all the versions now and tested them to be sure.  I only had the 2600 version at the time I am thinking.

Edited by jeff20

32 minutes ago, jeff20 said:

Like this... 

scropian.gif

3 hours ago, Rom Hunter said:

Pitfall II does this.

8)

I did check both Pitfall and Pitfall II, It's fact that Pitfall II does, if you stand on ladder above scorpion, the scorpion does stay at ladder,  blocks and doing flip-flops like crazy..

Edited by DeafAtariFromKansas

11 hours ago, Rom Hunter said:

Pitfall II does this.

8)

I was wrong.  I just played it again.  That first scorpian just keeps walkin', but Pitfall II does have this visual.  I just seem to recall it in Pitfall! too.  Must be my faulty memory.

2 hours ago, Pitfall Harry said:

That's strictly a Pitfall II phenomenon. Mystery solved.

-Ben

Well, having it come straight from Pitfall Harry it pretty convincing.  Thanks!

I don't think so.  A scorpion in Pitfall II: Lost Caverns will do its wiggle dance when Harry is on a ladder just above the scorpion. The scorpion becomes aware of the presence of Harry only when Harry partially descends the ladder (i.e., lowering Harry on the ladder just a bit brings him within the scorpion's detection range). In the original Pitfall!, there are no ladders to use to make Harry drop slightly lower and into the scorpion's detection range.  The scorpion will never detect Harry's presence when Harry is above it. At least, I've never seen it happen in the million hours I have played the game.

When Harry is on a ladder in Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, moving the joystick left and right will make him fall off the ladder, crash into the scorpion, and go back to the last visited red cross checkpoint.

-Ben

Edited by Pitfall Harry
Corrected a typo.