IGNORED

Colour changes when computer warms up

This is @Atari8man2004 clown rasta. I turned on my 'cold' 1200XL, loaded the .XEX and some of the yellow and most of the grays was bright green. After some time, it changed to yellow/grays that you see here. Does that indicate a problem with some chips ? Mods in sig. Thanks.

20240406_120235.thumb.jpg.7a0a6a11b9b1d0e6919f4751e1d8a5f0.jpg

Edited by Ricky Spanish
grammar sucks ha-ha

No it does not indicate a chip problem, it takes approx 15 minutes for many older machines to warm up and color to settle. The only things that can be done to lessen such affects are high quality cap and transistors in the video circuit if the swing is too great, as that sometimes corrects degraded output.

It is perfectly normal and part of the adjustment steps outlined by almost all computers of that era. If your power supply swings or changes too much from cold to 15 twenty minutes or the video transistors vary too much then you can look to touching or shoring that up. But chances are it's just the normal shift that occurs as the components warm up. This happens in the video chips themselves as well and is the nature of the chips. So there is only so much you can do, as outlined. It is normal.

You can bump the color pot to keep it from being so very bright green at start but not so much as to throw the yellow off when warm.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are even demos showing effects when GTIA is heating up. (One is a GTIA temperature picture, for PAL Ataris, in degrees Celsius and a must see; unsure how it looks in NTSC) And the nice test program ACP (Atari Control Picture) also shows a nice / not so nice effect, when GTIA is heating up...

GTIATEMP.ATR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I attributed the problem to the color trim pot adjust circuit, and specifically a shift in the 5V power that feeds it.

In the 1088XLD and 576NUC+ I used a precision thermally compensated zener diode to supply the color trim pot. And as far as I recall it works very well, with minimal thermal drift.

StableColorTrim.png.1436a626a7d69b594af4712522fbb14a.png

Another method would be to use a high quality stable 5V power supply to feed your Atari - maybe a MeanWell PSU.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mytek said:

I attributed the problem to the color trim pot adjust circuit, and specifically a shift in the 5V power that feeds it.

In the 1088XLD and 576NUC+ I used a precision thermally compensated zener diode to supply the color trim pot. And as far as I recall it works very well, with minimal thermal drift.

StableColorTrim.png.1436a626a7d69b594af4712522fbb14a.png

Another method would be to use a high quality stable 5V power supply to feed your Atari - maybe a MeanWell PSU.

retrofit that into the other Atari's forgot about that one.

observation #2

Different scenarios definitely take longer/shorter to 'warm-up'.

The above ATR, didn't notice any changes whatsoever from 'cold'.

The clown RASTA, took about 10-15 mins to settle in from 'cold'.

atari8man Cleopatra RASTA took over an hour from 'cold'.

All the games I tried, didn't notice any difference from 'cold'.

Try ACP 1.0 by TeBe or ACP 1.1 by MDA (both programs are packed).

After a few minutes stripes appear in the picture, then more and more stripes, until the picture looks "somewhat different"...

I have one 800XL in my collection where this GTIA warm up happens very fast, while the other four 800XL take quite a long time. Maybe I should test A8 games with APAC pics (Kick Off, Winter Events, Cygnus XI, etc.) with the one computer that warms up very fast and see if it produces some strange effects there ? Or some other picture formats besides Rasta (Gr. 9, 10, 11, e.g. Apac, Apac-2, Paint 256, Pryzm, Escal Paint, HIP, RIP, TIP, etc.)...

ACP10.xex ACP11.xex

Well, I see no changes, just strange colours (maybe normal for NTSC, since I have PAL I do not know)...

Here is what happens on one of my Ataris when the GTIA does warm up with ACP 1.0.

picture 0 - computer cold, normal look (PAL), via S-Video

warmup0.thumb.jpg.84190ee7469c9bc55d2dd30d39e8ae04.jpg

picture 1 after approx. 45 - 60 minutes stripes appear:

warmup1.thumb.jpg.25001ffed578892cb9c52da351370fb6.jpg

picture 2, a minute later, many more stripes

warmup2.thumb.jpg.b3a5dc82212e61bbd0cc86d94161ca2b.jpg

picture 3, two minutes later, almost finished

warmup3.thumb.jpg.edbc1ffb64485c9c9d8b74c030ce0a02.jpg

picture 4, a minute later, finish screen (does not change anymore, not even hours later)

warmup4.thumb.jpg.f507a7651df0afdf0093fe1cdecc29c5.jpg

please ignore that picture 0 is much darker and all others are much brighter (and show mirror effects), I opened the roller blind / roller shutter... ahem. In the finish picture it looks like 16 colours each with 4 lum - but repeated four times (i.e. lum 0-3 are the same as lum 4-7 and the same as lum 8-B and the same as lum C-F)... strange eh ?

Besides, ACP 1.1  (which displays 16 colours but each with only 8 lumas) shows the same effect on this computer!

(All pictures taken with my cheap smartphone.)

• Like 1

That looks like a GTIA timing problem. GTIA needs to combine two color clocks to form a 4-bit pixel, and it looks like as that machine warms up GTIA's timing goes bad and it's sampling the same 2-bit value twice. If you look closely you can also see that the color tile boundaries have shifted right by a color clock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Well, I see no changes, just strange colours (maybe normal for NTSC, since I have PAL I do not know)...

Check my thread from 2021. It was not a bad GTIA. The solution is in the last post.

• Like 3

So I checked my other four Atari 800XL computers yesterday and today by simply running/displaying ACP 1.0 for six hours. The picture of ACP did not change on any of these four computers, so it looks like they do not have this "bug", like my 5th Atari shown above.

Next thing to do is checking if the faulty Atari nr. 5 has a) a bad GTIA, b) a bad Antic (or another chip) or c) if a replacement of 74LS08 with 74F08 is enough to get rid of that "bug".