IGNORED

Starting Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun

jeremiahjt

I decided to play through Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun.  From a cursory look, it reminds me of Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon for the TurboGrafx-16, which I really enjoyed.

One of the first things I do when playing through an old RPG is to read the manual.  I got a surprise reading the first paragraph of the introduction.

"Standing atop the castle walls, you stare wearily down at the howling goblin hordes below.  Smoke from a thousand goblin torches burns your lungs.  The goblins scream at you, waving the heads of your fallen comrades on the ends of spears.  Weeks of fighting saw hundreds of men and goblins die in battle throughout the duke's lands.  Now all that remains is the duke's castle, and soon that will fall."

I was not expecting something so graphic from a Sega Genesis manual from 1992.  Maybe this was more common than I realize, but it seems quite graphic to me.  Not that it bothers me, just unexpected.

Hopefully the game itself gives me as much surprise as the manual.  Time to finish reading the manual, but I probably will not get to start the game today.  I do have the strategy guide that was sold separately.  I will try not to use it for hints, but I do like to read through those after I have finished a section to see if I missed anything.

• Like 2