IGNORED

Found a heavy sixer locally

eightbit

I was pretty surprised to find this today locally:

May be an image of text

It came with two CX-10 joysticks, a set of paddles and Combat. The kid who sold it didn't know if it worked...and didn't know how to hook it up. $75 total which I thought was a good deal.

And just when I thought I would never find anything in the wild again ;)

• Like 13

It's beautiful but I'm inebriated from drinking 16oz tall boys while watching the final four basketball games. You must have polished her up right? No way did she look that shiny when you first got her?

Edited by bigfriendly
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bigfriendly said:

It's beautiful but I'm inebriated from drinking 16oz tall boys while watching the final four basketball games. You must have polished her up right? No way did she look that shiny when you first got her?

I gave it a wipe down with some Windex...and very carefully as to not wipe off any of the orange pain that remained :)

And, I used some q-tips and got into the grooves a bit. Then blew it off with compressed air. I really only put like 10 minutes into cleaning. This is what it looked like before any cleaning (the FB marketplace listing picture):

Product photo of Atari

Product photo of Atari

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Ya if it does not work then 75 is too much.

It does work, perfectly. And, I am not so sure if this would have been too much, even not working.

I saw this auction end at over $400 and I have to wonder why:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156122483746

Because of the CX-10 controllers? The boxed games? Low SN? People just bidding like crazy?

Not that I am flipping this...this is for my personal collection. I never actually owned an Atari heavy sixer. I did own a Sears Tele-Games heavy sixer which I gave to my brother as a gift some years ago, but that's it. Seeing the prices these things command now I said to myself either I will find one locally or not own one. I figured I would just never own one but as luck would have it today was the day :)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, eightbit said:

It does work, perfectly. And, I am not so sure if this would have been too much, even not working.

I saw this auction end at over $400 and I have to wonder why:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156122483746

Because of the CX-10 controllers? The boxed games? Low SN? People just bidding like crazy?

Not that I am flipping this...this is for my personal collection. I never actually owned an Atari heavy sixer. I did own a Sears Tele-Games heavy sixer which I gave to my brother as a gift some years ago, but that's it. Seeing the prices these things command now I said to myself either I will find one locally or not own one. I figured I would just never own one but as luck would have it today was the day :)

$410 does seem pretty high for that auction.  I'd say if you were to flip that anything over $100 would be a good price.  If someone offers $400 then take it!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wongojack said:

$410 does seem pretty high for that auction.  I'd say if you were to flip that anything over $100 would be a good price.  If someone offers $400 then take it!

Ebay auctions are weird in this way. Sometimes for no obvious reason at all one auction just explodes. I take them with a grain of salt for sure.

But, I do know from trying to obtain one of these over the years that I was always most certainly looking at over $100. This seller was actually asking $100 initially for untested. I offered $50, he countered with $75. I accepted at that and figured I would just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

I was confused on the joysticks when I got them. Buttons that click? Joysticks that were clicky? Are these bootlegs? "TOP" is not printed on them? But the connector ends are printed Atari...hmm. Well, it took some reading online to realize these were CX-10 joysticks. I never owned these and had no idea. Learned something new in the process!

And, definitely not flipping. I got this because I wanted it!

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2024 at 11:41 PM, eightbit said:

Ebay auctions are weird in this way. Sometimes for no obvious reason at all one auction just explodes.

This happened with picture-label Gunslinger. It had been a consistently $75-100 cart (loose) until a freak bidding war a few years ago ended in the neighborhood of $400 and screwed up the pricing on it for years. Asking prices are finally starting to settle back down into the $100-125 range, but there are deranged people still trying to get $300 for it, despite nobody biting at anywhere near that price since that one inexplicable auction.