IGNORED

New SCSI card

I have been working on an updated version of the WHT SCSI REV F card with permission from Richard.  I have corrected (i hope) a couple of trace issues that were on the original version.  I have also removed some unused circuitry.

I have replaced one of the 50 pin IDC header connectors with a 25 pin DSub connector, much like the ASCSI card has.  I have also replaced the original 4 pin power connector with a USB on the back so one can power a USB type SCSI device like the ZuluSCSI.

prototype boards are currently being made.  This is just one of the cards I am currently working on.  Another is in the works, but won't let the cat out of the bag just yet.

Here is a render so your mouth can water.

SCSI-Prototype.thumb.png.a83f81275e3f1f7c832d0b6d64433d15.png

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I have been working on an updated version of the WHT SCSI REV F card with permission from Richard.  I have corrected (i hope) a couple of trace issues that were on the original version.  I have also removed some unused circuitry.

I have replaced one of the 50 pin IDC header connectors with a 25 pin DSub connector, much like the ASCSI card has.  I have also replaced the original 4 pin power connector with a USB on the back so one can power a USB type SCSI device like the ZuluSCSI.

prototype boards are currently being made.  This is just one of the cards I am currently working on.  Another is in the works, but won't let the cat out of the bag just yet.

Here is a render so your mouth can water.

SCSI-Prototype.thumb.png.a83f81275e3f1f7c832d0b6d64433d15.png

Yum...Yummmmmm..... I'll take one over easy and bare!!

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

Cool!  If I'd known about this, I'd have kept that SCSI equipment I had years ago.  I never did quite get it working, though.

I didn't know SCSI was still around.

K-R.

With zuluscsi and my Syquest drive, I am happy with my WHTech card. But I would mind having a second Scsi system.

PXL_20240223_050506831.MP.jpg

• Like 1

This is kewl. SCSI always represented the premium solution. More devices, and a more feature rich controller.

BITD - always appreciated the Adaptec controller menu popping up on a PC and being able to see what type of device, format and verify all from ROM and  in addition RAID, vs MFM, RLL, IDE - hook as master or slave unit and set jumper, enter in bad sectors.

I'll be buying one also!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I haven’t seen much in the way of the DB25 setup.  Are there usable devices that employ that connector? 

I have a bunch of external enclosures which use a 25-pin connection from the Old World SCSI.  Though, I have quite a few more which are 50-pin Centronics or high-density connection.  A bunch of Sun stuff, some Seagate tape drive enclosures, some CD/DVD enclosures...  I use a good bit of 25-pin with my Amigas.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

So what is the advantage of SCSI over the current IDE card as far as storage? 

Personally, I like to get an new IDE card as you can still get working spinning hard drives for it. For Scsi next to impossible like my hdfc card without any mfm drives. At least on scsi the sdcard emulators like zuluscsi are very affordable compared to mfm emulators for the hdfc.

For me I glad my WHTech card is working after 13 years in storage as all my archives were on Syquest 135mb cartridges so that was great help.

I still like to see some better disk management apps for handling multiple drives on various interfaces. Might just have to code one up myself. And still we need to break through the 260mb limit at some point as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Personally, I like to get an new IDE card as you can still get working spinning hard drives for it. For Scsi next to impossible like my hdfc card without any mfm drives. At least on scsi the sdcard emulators like zuluscsi are very affordable compared to mfm emulators for the hdfc.

For me I glad my WHTech card is working after 13 years in storage as all my archives were on Syquest 135mb cartridges so that was great help.

I still like to see some better disk management apps for handling multiple drives on various interfaces. Might just have to code one up myself. And still we need to break through the 260mb limit at some point as well.

Just FYI, you can build your own MFM emulator, I've built 3, just haven't tested any yet, got to get a working MFM hardrive system up and running. https://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/mfm.shtml

3 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Just FYI, you can build your own MFM emulator, I've built 3, just haven't tested any yet, got to get a working MFM hardrive system up and running. https://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/mfm.shtml

I looked at that before and even still being in Canada and it using the beagle one it would run me close to almost 250 to 300 cad for all the parts. Whereas the zuluscsi is available locally from a Toronto builder and total cost was under 100 cad including the 3d printed case for it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

6 1/2 dozen or the other, really, if you are just talking about storage.  The SCSI will give you access to older and more exotic storage devices, like EZ Drives, SCSI Zip (not sure if those are removable storage in the TI or not,) and what-not.  If you just want storage, you might just stick with the IDE.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

The Scsi was the premier storage, even after Nouspikel designed the IDE card till Fred Kaal coded the new DSR and utilities, giving the Ide card more capabilitites. Now they are on par. I just have a bunch of Scsi stuff and a bunch of Ide stuff, so I can get usage out of some of them. I'm like Gary said above, wishing to see the size limit raised, as I can format a 2 Gigi scsi drive on the TI, but can only use 248 MB of that space.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dhe said:

@Shift838

I have two cards for the TI  (SCSI and RS232) - that don't have the screw in post for the 25 pin connector.

I hope you can source 25 pin connectors with screw in mounts for the cable.

that was already planned.  I planned it around these:

DB25-SL-25 Adam Tech | Mouser

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MikeV said:

The WHT original did not have DSK1 emulation (which is very handy). Will your revision have that capability?

I would actually trade up from the WHT SCSI for this.  This emulation was something I harped on for ages, much to the consternation of the Great Gazoo :D

• Like 1

I would say if he's modeling after the Rev F board that it will only have the same capabilities as the F board, as I imagine he was just going to use the existing Rom file. Unless someone does some DSR work at the same time. Now maybe he can add that functionality, or maybe not. Just my observation.

Someone just suggested I might be a little rude here. I don't mean to be was just making a statement about what I thought Shift838 was doing, don't know if he was planning on using the same Programmable logic and roms with the same programs as the Original  "Rev F" Scsi. If he does then if it doesn't have dsk1 emulation already then this won't. That doesn't mean that it can't be added and I didn't knowingly mean to say or infer he wasn't capable of redoing the Rom. Apologies if someone took it that way.

Edited by RickyDean
additional content

11 hours ago, RickyDean said:

Someone just suggested I might be a little rude here.

Pfft.  It was a legitimate question, not a demand.  The WHT SCSI promised DSK emulation which was never delivered.  @Shift838 is quite capable and talented, two traits which, if motivated, could fulfill this promise, or could enlist the assistance of someone else.  Or not.  Whatever.  Not sure why someone's jimmies would get rustled over this.

11 hours ago, RickyDean said:

Apologies if someone took it that way.

Someone just needs a sensitivity adjustment.

In any case, I would love DSK emulation.  I would trade up my WHT SCSI for it without a second thought.  Though, just for a modern SCSI solution with a refresh in longevity, I might consider upgrading, anyway.  I could easily offset the cost of a new SCSI card by selling my WHT SCSI.  It has served me well and can serve someone else just as well.

To address a previous inquiry, I prefer SCSI over IDE as I would like the option of accessing more exotic storage mediums.  I might never do it, but I would like the option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

In any case, I would love DSK emulation.  I would trade up my WHT SCSI for it without a second thought.  Though, just for a modern SCSI solution with a refresh in longevity, I might consider upgrading, anyway.  I could easily offset the cost of a new SCSI card by selling my WHT SCSI.  It has served me well and can serve someone else just as well.

It was meant as a simple question. I was under the impression that's part of what these Atari pages are about?

I would also trade up without a second thought as well. From past experience the hardware will be rock solid.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 7:58 AM, Gary from OPA said:

With zuluscsi and my Syquest drive, I am happy with my WHTech card. But I would mind having a second Scsi system.

PXL_20240223_050506831.MP.jpg

I tested the Iomega SCSI Jaz, it also works very well, two 1GB and 2GB models.

J'ai tester le Jaz de Iomega SCSI cela fonctionne aussi très bien  deux modèles 1go et 2 go

• Like 2