IGNORED

Label Replacement acceptable or verboten?

MrChickenz

I get wanting to maintain the integrity of any collectible, but for my cartridges, removing the old labels gives me a chance to wash the cart and really clean the edge contacts. Anyway, here are some that I just replaced with labels from @pboland. Thanks Phil, they look incredible. I will be ordering more in a couple weeks.

20240420_142913_Original.jpeg

20240420_221128_Original.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, theonlygood said:

Anyway, here are some that I just replaced with labels from @pboland. Thanks Phil, they look incredible. I will be ordering more in a couple weeks.

These look great! That’s what I’m talking about! Especially Imagic and Spectravision!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

These look great! That’s what I’m talking about! Especially Imagic and Spectravision!

I agree. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics, but the Activision labels may actually look better than new. It was a great refresh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Those Activision relabels look great. What kind of material did you print them on? I've used Cricut Printable vinyl to make some repro boxes for my Homebrews I've collected. I only wish the vinyl had more of a matte finish. 

Edited by matthew954
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, matthew954 said:

Those Activision relabels look great. What kind of material did you print them on? I've used Cricut Printable vinyl to make some repro boxes for my Homebrews I've collected. I only wish the vinyl had more of a matte finish. 

So the set of Activision labels that I printed were laminated mailing labels. If you are referring to @John Stamos Mullet Activision labels, his were done really nice! He could tell you what he used.

7 hours ago, matthew954 said:

I've used Cricut Printable vinyl to make some repro boxes for my Homebrews I've collected. I only wish the vinyl had more of a matte finish. 

I’d like to see a photo of those repro boxes if you’re able to.

I have had good experiences with matte vinyl film and an acrylic clear varnish finish. Unfortunately, I only have a simple printer and the colors have lost some of their brilliance over time. Likewise, after a while, small white text on red backgrounds began to discolor slightly. I think a higher quality print would produce a perfect result.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

So the set of Activision labels that I printed were laminated mailing labels. If you are referring to @John Stamos Mullet Activision labels, his were done really nice! He could tell you what he used.

Ok - These were done about 12 years ago - I used Photoshop CS 4.1 to create them - I took the best quality Box scans available  (most of them came from this site) cleaned them up in photoshop, replaced the lettering with Fonts that I researched and matched to the originals, Printed them on Avery Stickyback full sheets and hand cut them. The Printer was a Canon CLC at my office, super high end color laser copier.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Ok - These were done about 12 years ago - I used Photoshop CS 4.1 to create them - I took the best quality Box scans available  (most of them came from this site) cleaned them up in photoshop, replaced the lettering with Fonts that I researched and matched to the originals, Printed them on Avery Stickyback full sheets and hand cut them. The Printer was a Canon CLC at my office, super high end color laser copier.

That’s ironic I used Avery Stickyback full sheets and hand cut mine also! I called them mailing labels says shipping but sounds like the same thing. Where mine fall short, I didn’t add the fonts or use a high end printer. That’s where your labels really shine! They look awesome!

34 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

That’s ironic I used Avery Stickyback full sheets and hand cut mine also! I called them mailing labels says shipping but sounds like the same thing. Where mine fall short, I didn’t add the fonts or use a high end printer. That’s where your labels really shine! They look awesome!

yeah - It was when I had a job in a company where I didn't have much to do because the company had just been bought, and their corporate IT took over, and no print tracking on the CLC copier in marketing.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

yeah - It was when I had a job in a company where I didn't have much to do because the company had just been bought, and their corporate IT took over, and no print tracking on the CLC copier in marketing.

You’re a self starter! You made good use of your time. Lol! And you still have something to show for it!

• Like 1

I’d like to see a photo of those repro boxes if you’re able to.

IMG_4957.HEIC

Here's a repro box I made for Homebrew World Championship 2012 for the NES. I used a two piece box template I found online, imported my artwork into Cricut Design Space, and used the print and cut feature to print on the vinyl and cut the box as well. My only real issue with my artwork is that I need a better glue for the halves. I used super glue instead of E6000 like I should have used.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, matthew954 said:

IMG_4957.HEIC 1.42 MB · 8 downloads

Here's a repro box I made for Homebrew World Championship 2012 for the NES. I used a two piece box template I found online, imported my artwork into Cricut Design Space, and used the print and cut feature to print on the vinyl and cut the box as well. My only real issue with my artwork is that I need a better glue for the halves. I used super glue instead of E6000 like I should have used.

Wow! That looks great! Have you ever tried making Atari 2600 repro boxes? Or small boxes for Atari 2600 cartridges?

I've never tried making 2600 boxes since I never really looked for a template to start from. Having said that, I DID start designing a small cart sized box that I had never finished. Life got in the way and I had forgotten the project until recently.

15887232667007919463628958605105.jpg.d54

20200506_201711.jpg.5d5ce6f643a8176aff42

20200506_201635.jpg.50c3d65bc19c877558c1

15876420036862032322535141331810.jpg.bee

Unfortunately I think I've lost my art files somewhere on my hard drive, and will have to start again from scratch. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Well, I got inspired this evening after work. I lost the art files to my mini box, but found a saved picture of the design and began rebuilding the original file as best as I could. Plus I redid the artwork to River Raid as well. I took the measurements from the sleeve of my copy of Mr. Run And Jump.

Screenshot2024-05-05at12_44_27AM.thumb.png.8162c5e948f6c89eed5b75a673b56530.png

Screenshot2024-05-05at12_46_06AM.thumb.png.d70069bf9429148cbd5e5c87c213bac7.png

Edited by matthew954
Add text
  • Like 3

If the end label is messed up or missing, I put a folder label on it.  First I write the game title on the label and then I place it on the cart.  The label has adhesive, so it sticks pretty well.  There are a few carts that I had to do this with.  But it turned out well I think.  It does the job at least.  

Here is what I use:

https://www.avery.com/products/labels/6141

What's nice about them is they fit the length of the cart which is great. But it depends on what size you get. 

• Thanks 1

I just bought a copy of Spy Hunter for 2600 on eBay for about $60. The label is trash on it, so I also bought a replacement label. When they arrive I will post pics.

Viewer Discretion is advised. If changing the original crap looking label on a fairly rare game for a new clean one is going to trigger someone, don't watch this space.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, ChopperCommando said:

For most of these games the replacement label costs more than the actual game.....LOL

I bought a copy of Pac-Man for like $0.25 and the replacement label for it was $5 or $6.

That’s a great price! If the labels good keep it on there! 

My local game store has about 50 copies of Combat for $1.00 each. Maybe more in back stock. Lol

3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I just bought a copy of Spy Hunter for 2600 on eBay for about $60. The label is trash on it, so I also bought a replacement label. When they arrive I will post pics.

Viewer Discretion is advised. If changing the original crap looking label on a fairly rare game for a new clean one is going to trigger someone, don't watch this space.

Lucky You! Spy Hunter looks like a good one! Looking forward to seeing the pics!

• Like 1