IGNORED

defender 2000

jagpaul

I think that a comparison between "D2K" and "Protector / SE" is perhaps more fair, given their more obvious similarities.

"D2K" is not a bad game, and has many fans on this site. It's composed of three games -- "Classic Defender", "Defender Plus", and "Defender 2000", and of those "Defender Plus" is perhaps the best of the bunch.

It plays an OK game of "Defender", but I'd just as soon play "Defender" on my 800 to get that "classic" feel.

"Protector: SE" seems to be a much larger game, and it has many cool effects and amusing visual touches. It is, both in "feel" and "spirit", much like a '50s sci-fi movie. "P:SE" also contains the "JagFree" CD bypass, so it is, when all things are considered, a better buy (even though it is more expensive when bought new).

This seems to be one of those games that some love and some think sucks for various reason, the most common being that it's too difficult. There seem to be few who think it's just merely decent. I love it, love everything about it and don't find it difficult in the least. When I first got it I died a lot, but once I got used to it and figured out how to get shields and increase weapons and whatnot, I became very good at it and regularly score in the millions. I like it far better than it's "competition" Protector, but I like Protector too. It's got the classic, plus and 2000 modes, which is a distinct advantage; everyone like classic Defender and Plus is much closer to the original except for updated graphics and bosses added in, etc. 2000 sticks to the basic premise of the original, but adds in a lot of ideas like power-ups and such that have come along in shooters since the original. If you like fantastic graphics, a great sound track and don't mind or love a good challenge without being impossible, get it. Good, good stuff.

To compare it to Battlesphere is pointless, they are completely different genres of games as far as I'm concerned. You might as well compare Super Mario Bros. to Pac-man.

D2K was a huge let down for me - I loved T2K but D2K falls into the 'excessive' category in every shape and form. Too fast, Too large, Too Ridiculous.

To 'play' the game at the higher levels relies on flying at the top of the screen (usually watching the radar vs the screen) and hoping to get the autoshoot powerup to finish the level - Very little skill is required. Ive gotten pretty far into the game and there is no skill involved as it gets harder.

D2K Plus mode however is an excellent game - I enjoyed this mode alot. Classic is ok but def looks and feels old compared to the others. The Jag controller doesnt do very well in the classic mode IMHO.

Just my $0.02

In 1998 my house was robbed, and among other things my jag, lynx and all my software for them went with the bad dude with an obvious gaming addiction. At that time, I had every jag game released to date except for four I think and about 2/3's of the lynx's library. It really sucked, all with original boxes and manuels, even the survey cards. All in perfect condition. Any way on to my point. For the last few years I have been slowly re-acquiring the games (and systems of course).My priority has been the games that weren't around back then and of course my favs. Although Defender ins't my absolute favorite game, it does stack up well. So I consider it a must have, after all I did buy it twice. I got protector se at cge in august but I haven't had time to play it much so I won't compare the two. But in defenders defense I must say that the music is equal that of T2K, the bonus round although similar to the second bonus round in T2K is far better in my book. One gripe I here is that people have to rely soley on the radar to play the game. I must disagree, although it is crucial in the game, especially in the later levels. I have found that a combination of 50/50 radar/playfield is in order otherwise you'll surely miss power-ups and falling humans. I have found it a very intense and satisfying game. Is it as good as T2K you ask? Well thats like comparing protector to battlesphere. Apples and Oranges. Wow, this is a really long post just to say I like D2K. I must be bored. Later

For myself, D2K falls into that "hard" category and is a game I haven't played that much at all. Question: do any of the 3 games on the cart have that "option" ;) where if you are carrying a human that no other humans can be captured? Been so long since I played it, I've forgotten.

Mendon

For myself, D2K falls into that "hard" category and is a game I haven't played that much at all. Question: do any of the 3 games on the cart have that "option"  ;)  where if you are carrying a human that no other humans can be captured? Been so long since I played it, I've forgotten.

Mendon

Id almost put D2K into the 'Hard' and 'Stupid' category - I found it really lame how no skill is involved in the ahrder levels IMHO

For myself, D2K falls into that "hard" category and is a game I haven't played that much at all. Question: do any of the 3 games on the cart have that "option"  ;)  where if you are carrying a human that no other humans can be captured? Been so long since I played it, I've forgotten.

Mendon

Id almost put D2K into the 'Hard' and 'Stupid' category - I found it really lame how no skill is involved in the ahrder levels IMHO

You could almost say the same thing about T2K,in the upper levels its hold down the fire button and hope your timing goin back and forth is right. Not much skill really. You can definitely say that about T3K on nuon.

Mendon

You could almost say the same thing about T2K,in the upper levels its hold down the fire button and hope your timing goin back and forth is right. Not much skill really. You can definitely say that about T3K on nuon.

Though in T2K is does come down to some powerups alteast you still ahve to navigate the web and shoot enemies as best you can. D2K turns into a fly at the top of the screen holding down the fire button praying. Someone good at the joypad can master T2K - just my $0.02 ;)

To 'play' the game at the higher levels relies on flying at the top of the screen (usually watching the radar vs the screen) and hoping to get the autoshoot powerup to finish the level - Very little skill is required.  Ive gotten pretty far into the game and there is no skill involved as it gets harder.

Just my $0.02

Ok, so maybe you have found a cheap way to "cheat" by staying up high and counting on the autoshoot feature, but that's not the way I have ever played it, I'm always down deep in the action and it takes precise timing and awsome manuevering abilities in the higher levels to get through that way. I totally disagree with your assesment of the game on every level, and I agree completely with Grokk. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions and favorite games. Just my $0.02.

Classic is ok but def looks and feels old compared to the others.  The Jag controller doesnt do very well in the classic mode IMHO.

Just my $0.02

Classic mode was specifically design to take advantage of the ORIGINAL control configuration of the ARCADE version of the game; you have to have the procontroller for this, that's why it doesn't work very well for you if you're trying to use a standard controller.

To 'play' the game at the higher levels relies on flying at the top of the screen (usually watching the radar vs the screen) and hoping to get the autoshoot powerup to finish the level - Very little skill is required.  Ive gotten pretty far into the game and there is no skill involved as it gets harder.

Just my $0.02

Ok, so maybe you have found a cheap way to "cheat" by staying up high and counting on the autoshoot feature, but that's not the way I have ever played it, I'm always down deep in the action and it takes precise timing and awsome manuevering abilities in the higher levels to get through that way. I totally disagree with your assesment of the game on every level, and I agree completely with Grokk. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions and favorite games. Just my $0.02.

Id love to see a video of you playing - I dont know of anyone who can fly at the higer levels since so many enemies come out at once that there is no way avoiding them (everything is so big). You are the first person I know that claims they can fly around in that swarm and survive.

Just my $0.02

Id love to see a video of you playing - I dont know of anyone who can fly at the higer levels since so many enemies come out at once that there is no way avoiding them (everything is so big). You are the first person I know that claims they can fly around in that swarm and survive.

make that two claims. Its been awhile but its possible, being in the ZONE is a must, looking between radar and the action on screen has to be extremely fast and furious.

Someone post an avi

I will change my playstyle claim just a bit. I dont look at the screen I watch the radar - It is possible to manuever up and down a bit looking at radar for enemies - but when the wave first starts there is nothing you can do IMHO. The balance in this game was just way off.

T2K was different for me in that I could manage to get to the 63rd level without having the 'pray' for something to save me - Even still after the 63rd level things changed back to normal a bit such that you could continue.

My $0.04 now :)

...need to take carts out of the boxes  :)  ).

That sounds like a great idea. I'll have to give them a go, too.

The music in D2k is reason enough to boot it up.

Protector SE is a lot of fun but I never managed to get very far. (made it to level 10 I believe) I remember someone posting that they'd gotten to the end or had finished P:SE within a few days of receiving it. Supposedly there's some unlockable features/codes or something. Maybe someone can reveal these at some point? ;)