IGNORED

Non-game executables for the Atari 400 Mini

LS650

Youtube and other sites are full of recommendations for old 8-bit Atari games... but what about non-games?

Are there any other executables people recommend checking out? 

Maybe graphics or sound demos, astronomy sky-map utility, etc.

Here are 4 demos. 3 are by Xanth Computers and 1 is by Atari. They're all from the 80's. The 2 boink demos by Xanth let you control some aspects of the animations with <option> and <select> keys; and I think the <start> key changes the text display for both of them.

fujiboink.thumb.png.1435ac0e23eed88a8b8e7bd7a6f64c1c.png

8-bitboink.thumb.png.fe902cec406a2edce1b97549fc85d4ce.png

gtia0.thumb.png.c7883996d0a875156a913b44a6ab4f03.png

gtia1.thumb.png.72d7ba0215aaf75b5e9fc34cd503f4c1.png

swan.thumb.png.1c72eedff92fe6324e60867282312ba4.png

FujiBoink.xex

Atari 8-bit Boink.xex

Swan.xex

Atari (GTIA).xex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jane's Program is an interactive demo by Douglas Crockford (while he was working at Atari). You use the joystick to make blocks that fall, bounce, and make musical sounds. You can also delete blocks by clicking on them (which you'll need to do at some point, as there's a limit to how many can be on the screen at once). This is fun for young kids. I think the demo was made for Douglas' young daughter (Jane).

Jane's Program.xex

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pseudografx said:

My cover is errorneously in single POKEY mode, this is the correct executable:

If you're referring to the XEX I posted (I assume you are), I think that is a version by @VinsCool. I'm not sure whether he sequenced the music himself or not, though. He may have borrowed your original version or the version that was done by @Fragmare, and just edited the instruments (or maybe not) and output it using his version of RMT (with the updated tables, etc.); but maybe I'm wrong about that in some point?

The reason I posted that particular mono version is because the 400 Mini currently doesn't support stereo. I had your proper stereo version, though; and I am aware that it will play in mono on a mono system.

16 hours ago, MrFish said:

If you're referring to the XEX I posted (I assume you are), I think that is a version by @VinsCool. I'm not sure whether he sequenced the music himself or not, though. He may have borrowed your original version or the version that was done by @Fragmare, and just edited the instruments (or maybe not) and output it using his version of RMT (with the updated tables, etc.); but maybe I'm wrong about that in some point?

The reason I posted that particular mono version is because the 400 Mini currently doesn't support stereo. I had your proper stereo version, though; and I am aware that it will play in mono on a mono system.

Oh, sorry, it sounded pretty close to my version so perhaps Vin used my cover for the edit or it's just a coincidence.

13 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

Oh, sorry, it sounded pretty close to my version so perhaps Vin used my cover for the edit or it's just a coincidence.

No problem. I think @Fragmare posted his RMT source file too. So, I'm not sure. Anyway, it's a great chip tune.

For my own contribution, I can suggest doing a Google for Atari Planetarium.  It's a 2-disk program that runs with XL/XE compatibility.

I planned with it a bit, and I think I'll look at the docs to understand it better.