IGNORED

How to enable artifacting?

atarimonster

Hi,

is there away to enable artifacting on the 400 mini?

I found the option emulator_artefact = 0; in a cfg-file.

So I tried on A.E.:emulator_artefact = 1;

but nothing happens, it is back and white...

Edited by atarimonster

I was about to order one of these but this is a deal breaker.  Im an NTSC guy and not having artificating for now makes this alot less attractive since many games Id like to play from the old days utilized it.

Hopefully a fix for this and other issues comes out soon

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I tried now some other options and artifacting is somehow working sorry I have no time to post screenshots, but number 3 and 4 are working in cfg-file. On my display I got 2 different green shades.

Perhaps someone will find out other/more settings.

here are my files and cfgfiles I used

AE.rar

Edited by atarimonster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goochman said:

How do you make these changes?  Is it simple or does it require breaking into the "OS" of the Mini?

It is not necessary to break into the OS...

You write only a cfg-file or modify the one The400mini automtically generates for your atr-file (same name as *.atr) e.g. "AE.atr" you have to configure in "AE.cfg" (textfile) same directory of USB-Stick.

4 hours ago, atarimonster said:

Hi,

I tried now some other options and artifacting is somehow working sorry I have no time to post screenshots, but number 3 and 4 are working in cfg-file. On my display I got 2 different green shades.

Perhaps someone will find out other/more settings.

here are my files and cfgfiles I used

AE.rar 21.43 kB · 4 downloads

I tired both version and still didn't get artifacting. I take it the misspelled artefact switch in the .cfg isn't implemented yet. but it does tell me that the update might have a fix.

15 minutes ago, hloberg said:

I tired both version and still didn't get artifacting. I take it the misspelled artefact switch in the .cfg isn't implemented yet. but it does tell me that the update might have a fix.

Thats weird...

I think you are right. its not or not good implemented... Perhaps try to change settings for machine...and change after new saved cfg-file from emulator the artefact setting from 0 to 3 or 4.

I can see some changes, don't know how to make a screenhot on the mini, perhaps I try later a photo by my handy...

1 hour ago, hloberg said:

Bear in mind that it may not work if your machine is set to 50Hz/PAL. Artifacting is primarily an NTSC thing.

There's a good writeup on the subject on this page. https://www.raphkoster.com/about-raph/hobbies/emulation/atari-8-bit-guide-for-lr-atari800-and-retropie/ Don't think we can directly translate the info on here to The400 Mini because we're not using the libretro version of Atari800 (and there's still some debate over whether it's Atari800 at all, I know) but may be worth tinkering with the settings using the info here as guidelines, particularly the 4 "modes" that may or may not correspond to the setting in the .cfg file.

One thing I would advise is writing to RGL's support email support[at]retrogames.biz with details of what you would like to see in an update -- in this case artifacting settings. Probably coincidence, but it was very soon after I reported the M.U.L.E. issues to them via email that they put out their acknowledgement and temporary fix. I've also asked them to up the max res to at least 336x240 so we can get the full overscan border... couldn't hurt for a few more people to ask that too :) 

1 hour ago, atarimonster said:

I found in the .atari400 directory on the USB-Stick the miniature screenshot of the savestatefiles...

So I made 3 different settings, just have a look:

slot-0(af4).png

slot-0(af3).png

slot-0(af0).png

I think there is more possible

which picture aligns with what # setting in the config file?