IGNORED

Modified 600XL S-Video B/W with Conveter

Years ago, I purchased a 600XL with S-Video output. I recently got back into the world of Atari (I think the 400mini inspired me). My problem is, I no longer own any TV/Monitors with S-Video input. I happened to find my never opened Tendak converter for composite/S-Video to HDMI out. It works, but unfortunately, it's black and white. I remember back then, I read some threads where people had success with the Tendak. When I had an old Samsung with S-video, it worked with the 600XL in color. Any suggestions on some kind of converter/upscaler that would work these days? Thanks

2 hours ago, JCat said:

Years ago, I purchased a 600XL with S-Video output. I recently got back into the world of Atari (I think the 400mini inspired me). My problem is, I no longer own any TV/Monitors with S-Video input. I happened to find my never opened Tendak converter for composite/S-Video to HDMI out. It works, but unfortunately, it's black and white. I remember back then, I read some threads where people had success with the Tendak. When I had an old Samsung with S-video, it worked with the 600XL in color. Any suggestions on some kind of converter/upscaler that would work these days? Thanks

Stock 600xl computers don't come with Chroma hooked up. I assume when you purchased it that a previous owner had done this? If you once had colour on svideo it must have. 

Can you open up the 600xl and see? 

It will be on the underside of the board. 

Bare in mind if shielding plates are present, there is a hidden screw through a hole in the top of the shielding towards the left of the board as you look at the computer facing forwards. Be sure you remove it or the whole pcb and sheilding will be secured to the casing. 

Check if this mod is in place as if not or damaged that would likely explain the lack of colour when using svideo. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84XwomksB4c&t=264s

8.44m in

220uf electrolytic capacitor radial legs
75ohm carbon resistor (or 33, 22, 10, 10 ohm in series to give 75ohm)

image.png

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Stock 600xl computers don't come with Chroma hooked up. I assume when you purchased it that a previous owner had done this? If you once had colour on svideo it must have. 

Can you open up the 600xl and see? 

Thank you for your detailed reply! Much appreciated. Yes, the 600XL was upgrade with both memory and S-Video by Sal (kjmann), may rest in peace. I solved my issue. I purchased another converter that had a built in S-Video cable. At first, I once again got a black and white display. I opened the 600XL and adjusted the pot, and the color came though. Needless to say, I was ecstatic, as I was about to buy a Dell monitor on eBay which had S-Video input. I plugged back in the Tendak, assuming that was the problem all the time, but still, the Tendak refused to display color. Funny thing is, the new converter was cheaper. Here's a link in case anyone else runs into this problem. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V4X9DQV/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by JCat
left something out
  • Like 1