IGNORED

Mega ST modification

I have a Mega ST motherboard that I'm trying to get working again.  I had it mounted in a tower PC case.  It was a little touchy on starting and sometimes crashed.  I think it may have been due to the motherboard being mounted vertically instead of horizontally.  I messed up the floppy drive connector on the motherboard and just had a friend help put a new floppy connector on the board.

There is some type of modification to the motherboard.  I'm including a picture of the wiring.

Meg ST.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So I removed all the mods today and the unit worked but was a bit flakey and would bomb if the 68000 was tapped. I removed the 68000 and found 4 pin which were broken and not the full length meaning their contact with the socket was not great. I built new pins from headers, re-installed the 68000 and the unit is rock solid now.

Thanks for all the input.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a friend help me replace the floppy drive connector on the board.  I damaged it trying to get ta longer floppy cable attached.  Put in a standard 34 pin connector (like on a PC motherboard).  With the motherboard sitting horizontally I reseated all of the socketed chips and the board boots up and the floppy drive works.  Now I need to figure out which chips seem to work loose and cause the system to bomb when I mount it vertically.  It's in a tower IBM type case.  I'm also going to reinstall the cable from the onboard ACSI connector to the ICD ADSCSI+ that is mounted in the case.  

Once the SCSI is working again I need to decide what I want to connect to it.  I used to have a hard drive, CD-ROM drive, and tape backup in the past.  I probably won't bother with the tape backup drive and may use a Syquest drive or an Iomega Zip drive instead.  These are all drives that I still have.  I wish that I had a 1gb Jazz drive to compliment the hard drive.

Anyone have other thoughts on what to add?

On 4/12/2024 at 9:08 AM, djglish said:

I have a Mega ST motherboard that I'm trying to get working again.  I had it mounted in a tower PC case.  It was a little touchy on starting and sometimes crashed.  I think it may have been due to the motherboard being mounted vertically instead of horizontally.  I messed up the floppy drive connector on the motherboard and just had a friend help put a new floppy connector on the board.

There is some type of modification to the motherboard.  I'm including a picture of the wiring.

Meg ST.JPG

What's the wiring details for a Blitter patch?