IGNORED

If you have a Falcon and a Modem…..

I am a bbs software freak - I love checking out BBS software for various (especially oddball) machines or OS.. There is a BBS program called “Hells BBS” (which you can find here via search) and I would very much love for someone who is more fortunate than me and owns a Falcon to load it up, do whatever manual config is needed, and grab screenshots of the various menus and perhaps take note of any features it may have that make it require a Falcon…

I’m sure I’m not the only one who is curious….

3 hours ago, AtariPhreak said:

I am a bbs software freak - I love checking out BBS software for various (especially oddball) machines or OS.. There is a BBS program called “Hells BBS” (which you can find here via search) and I would very much love for someone who is more fortunate than me and owns a Falcon to load it up, do whatever manual config is needed, and grab screenshots of the various menus and perhaps take note of any features it may have that make it require a Falcon…

I’m sure I’m not the only one who is curious….

I'll take a stab at it.

And I can do more than just take screenshots, I have the Falcon hooked up to the video capture for the Atari BBS Community Zoom meetings.

Now I just have to find it.

So quick first look at the documentation..... I'm not sure a Falcon is "required"... at least not anymore as even the README!! file went from

This is an experimental BBS software for ATARI Falcon computers! in pre84 to

This is an experimental BBS software for ATARI computers! in pre99.2.

In the older version originally posted, pre84, it would seem there is only one ANSIDRIV.PRG and it's probably for the Falcon and requires the Falcon's graphic modes.

The second, the pre99.2, has ANSI drivers for all of the systems (which are system specific, so it lends credibility to the guess it was all about the ANSI driver in pre84 (which also, the ANSIDRIV.TXT opens with ANSI-Driver V1.0 FALCON VGA by Teddy of TMC/Orion).

image.png.bf2881f9b4aa09446eeb3e5d5f77c60c.png

(Link to that thread so others don't have to search)

Also a little irritated I can't find GSZRZ yet, but I'm sure I will, though I think with not a lot of effort I can get it working with XYZ.TTP based on the config.

So this was my "can't sleep" moment... I'm going to head back into bed and tackle this on the Falcon after work (planning to cut out early anyway) and then try it on one of my Mega ST's.  If it works fine there too, I'll leave the demo up for awhile for people to call.

Edited by Tillek
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tillek said:

So quick first look at the documentation..... I'm not sure a Falcon is "required"... at least not anymore as even the README!! file went from

This is an experimental BBS software for ATARI Falcon computers! in pre84 to

This is an experimental BBS software for ATARI computers! in pre99.2.

In the older version originally posted, pre84, it would seem there is only one ANSIDRIV.PRG and it's probably for the Falcon and requires the Falcon's graphic modes.

The second, the pre99.2, has ANSI drivers for all of the systems (which are system specific, so it lends credibility to the guess it was all about the ANSI driver in pre84 (which also, the ANSIDRIV.TXT opens with ANSI-Driver V1.0 FALCON VGA by Teddy of TMC/Orion).

image.png.bf2881f9b4aa09446eeb3e5d5f77c60c.png

(Link to that thread so others don't have to search)

Also a little irritated I can't find GSZRZ yet, but I'm sure I will, though I think with not a lot of effort I can get it working with XYZ.TTP based on the config.

So this was my "can't sleep" moment... I'm going to head back into bed and tackle this on the Falcon after work (planning to cut out early anyway) and then try it on one of my Mega ST's.  If it works fine there too, I'll leave the demo up for awhile for people to call.

wow.. and i do log analysis/correlation as part of my job… sigh. i appreciate. your help and look forward to hearing more. i have the day off so im going fe-play again myself…

Ok, so sorry for not posting this sooner.  Still having some trouble with some paths that certain parts of the program tell me don't exist, so I'm going to create a new CF card dedicated to the BBS and try again instead of nested in the "main" card I use.

I do have it answering the modem with the original WiModem232 (not the pro) and that seems to be working well.

Once I have the dedicated CF card version going, I'll go ahead and put the demo up.  I'll probably post other updates in the BBS club so be sure to check there later (though I'll reply here when I do).

For now though....

image.thumb.png.fb4938bc336547407b05f1d74a72acde.png

Obviously still using the author's screens. :)