IGNORED

FujiNet TNFS Server Question: Upload

Hi all

I'm new to FujiNet, hardware is on the way from Lotharek. Until the real box arrives I've installed FujiNet on my Laptop to work with Altirra. Works. I've now created my own TNFS Server on a Raspberry Pi according to these instructions. Works fine, I've also changed the Raspberry configuration so it has a static IP and runs via Ethernet. Works as well. Fired up Altirra with FujiNet, added tnfs.local to my list of servers and it finds the server and (obviously) displays an empty directory. With all the complicated stuff done (lol) I cannot figure out how to upload my existing .atr .xex, etc. files? Is there a way to drag and drop them from PC/Mac?

TIA, dmy

Edited by dmy

In setting up your TNFS server you had to create a (forgot exactly) tfnsroot directory.  Just place whatever files you want access to there on your Rasberry PI.  I dont think you can upload to the TNFS server from the Atari side of things

11 hours ago, dmy said:

Hi all

I'm new to FujiNet, hardware is on the way from Lotharek. Until the real box arrives I've installed FujiNet on my Laptop to work with Altirra. Works. I've now created my own TNFS Server on a Raspberry Pi according to these instructions. Works fine, I've also changed the Raspberry configuration so it has a static IP and runs via Ethernet. Works as well. Fired up Altirra with FujiNet, added tnfs.local to my list of servers and it finds the server and (obviously) displays an empty directory. With all the complicated stuff done (lol) I cannot figure out how to upload my existing .atr .xex, etc. files? Is there a way to drag and drop them from PC/Mac?

TIA, dmy

For drag-and-drop file transfer, WinSCP is recommended.  As long as you have read / write access to the directory on the RasPi being used to hold the files being served by tnfsd, you should be able to just navigate to it and copy them over.

@Goochman @E474 @x=usr(1536)

Thank you all. I have found the directory (/tnfs). What irritates me, if I connect to the Raspberry via my Mac (⌘K) and enter "smb://192.168.x.x" I cannot connect using the standard credentials I use to login via terminal, it does not accept them. However, if I choose "Guest" without username and password it connects without issue, lets me select the tnfs volume and then I have a Finder window where I can drag and drop.

Hi @dmy,

Actually, @x=usr(1536) might have a simpler solution, you just need to use a Mac program that lets you access "sftp" files. I did a quick Google and found this list, though the webpage is a bit old (I don't know anything about Macs though):  https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/25661/whats-a-good-graphical-sftp-utility-for-os-x

The problems with username/passwords is probably down to the smbpasswd command. You need to:

cd /etc/apache2

sudo smbpasswd -a pi

But actually use the user that owns the tnfs directory, not the pi user (the user you want to log in to via terminal).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi @dmy,

Actually, @x=usr(1536) might have a simpler solution, you just need to use a Mac program that lets you access "sftp" files. I did a quick Google and found this list, though the webpage is a bit old (I don't know anything about Macs though):  https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/25661/whats-a-good-graphical-sftp-utility-for-os-x

The problems with username/passwords is probably down to the smbpasswd command. You need to:

cd /etc/apache2

sudo smbpasswd -a pi

But actually use the user that owns the tnfs directory, not the pi user (the user you want to log in to via terminal).

Good advice.

One thing I'll add: don't log in as root.  It's a good bad habit to stay out of ;) 

@dmy: My recommendation would be to take things a step further, and lock down how your TNFS server is running a bit.  This will also have the useful side effect of creating a user that can be used specifically for TNFS-related activities, so the pi user is just there for the purposes of logging into the system and doing whatever maintenance might be necessary.  Apologies if I'm coming across as patronising in saying this; that's not my intention and I just don't know your level of Linux experience.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2024 at 6:09 PM, E474 said:

Hi @dmy,

cd /etc/apache2

sudo smbpasswd -a pi

Thank you. As I am using a disk image for the TNFS Server (this one) the user rights were pre-configured. I found that the guest access only has access to the tnfs folder where all Atari files are stored which makes a lot of sense. Public TNFS Servers also do not require login/pw. Since I can easily access the file folder from the Finder (Desktop) on my Mac I don't think I'll need to go the SFTP route.

On 4/13/2024 at 11:12 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Good advice.

One thing I'll add: don't log in as root.  It's a good bad habit to stay out of ;) 

@dmy: My recommendation would be to take things a step further, and lock down how your TNFS server is running a bit.  This will also have the useful side effect of creating a user that can be used specifically for TNFS-related activities, so the pi user is just there for the purposes of logging into the system and doing whatever maintenance might be necessary.  Apologies if I'm coming across as patronising in saying this; that's not my intention and I just don't know your level of Linux experience.

You are absolutely right with not using the root as standard login. After taking a second look at it the config seems to be ok. The pi user has root access which is fine. To access the tnfs folder where all Atari files are stored one can use guest access without login/password. The guest user only has access to that folder. And no worries about "patronizing" I am always willing to learn and never take advice as offensive or similar.

Edited by dmy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dmy said:

To access the tnfs folder where all Atari files are stored one can use guest access without login/password. The guest user only has access to that folder.

Cool, that should be fine - especially since it's not internet-facing.  As much as I tend to go security overkill on things, this isn't a case where that's really necessary by the sounds of it.

14 hours ago, dmy said:

And no worries about "patronizing" I am always willing to learn and never take advice as offensive or similar.

Thanks :) It's hard to tell sometimes how my own tone is coming across; good to know that it was received in the spirit that was intended.

• 2 weeks later...