IGNORED

.STX files on Steem?

Hi!  I have some Atari ST games in .STX format that I want to run.  A later version of Steem doesn't work.  Two earlier versions worked but didn't register the files.  Hatari doesn't offer an option to switch drives, and the images are on a different drive than the emulator.  How do I get the files to work?

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Hi!  I have some Atari ST games in .STX format that I want to run.  A later version of Steem doesn't work.  Two earlier versions worked but didn't register the files.  Hatari doesn't offer an option to switch drives, and the images are on a different drive than the emulator.  How do I get the files to work?

What do you mean by "Hatari doesn't offer an option to switch drives"?   If you press F12 you can access the disk menu

I'm using an earlier version, as two later versions didn't work properly on that computer--I forgot why.  I figured out how to get the disk menu in Hatari but could not find the button to switch to a different drive on Windows: it was set to work on Drive C:, but the game images were on a floppy compressed using WinMount which registered the drive as Z:.  I have to check the actual versions tomorrow.

All the things you mention changed in later versions.

Older Steem versions require Pasti.DLL for STX support. This works only with 32-bit versions, not with 64-bit versions. Newer Steem versions have internal STX support.

Earlier Hatari versions had a limited file selector. You couldn't change the host drive. This was implemented in newer versions (not sure exactly when).

16 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I'm using an earlier version, as two later versions didn't work properly on that computer--I forgot why.  I figured out how to get the disk menu in Hatari but could not find the button to switch to a different drive on Windows: it was set to work on Drive C:, but the game images were on a floppy compressed using WinMount which registered the drive as Z:.  I have to check the actual versions tomorrow.

If you compress the images into a ZIP file instead,  hatari can read the zip and allow you to change disks within the zip file.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Thank you.  As I mentioned, the n ewer versions didn't work on the computer at my day program.  I'll try again today and plan to look for later versions of Hatari soon.

And as I mentioned, older Steem versions require Pastil.DLL. Did you install the DLL on the same directory as Steem? And, again, you must use a 32-bit Steem version for interfacing with Pasti.DLL

45 minutes ago, zzip said:

If you compress the images into a ZIP file instead,  hatari can read the zip and allow you to change disks within the zip file.

I think he is talking about the host drive, not the emulated disk. Older Hatari versions have a limited file selector. You couldn't change the Windows (host) drive.

I'm mainly using Steem 3.2, and, after installing pasti.dll, while starting up Steem, it registers that the file was installed, but the files don't appear.  :(  I admit that I was wrong about two versions of Steem not working: one actually does work: 3.9.3 Beta 64-bit works, but a later version gives me an exception immediately.  I copied the .dll files to the 3.9.3 version, but I saw no difference there.  Maybe I'm missing some files in the second install, as I copied what I thought were the relevant files from the first install rather than unpacking them from the .zip file.  I'd better try that again on Sunday, when I'm at program next.

17 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

3.9.3 Beta 64-bit works, but a later version gives me an exception immediately.  I copied the .dll files to the 3.9.3 version, but I saw no difference there.

Once again, pasti.dll works only with the 32-bit Steem version, not with the 64-bit one.

Seems the latest SteemSSE Beta has exactly what you want.

Extract from the Readme:-

Standalone beta features:

ST Ports can connect to TCP/IP (Windows)
Native support for Pasti disk images (Windows + Linux)
STXtoSTW converter
MIDI: support for DirectMusic (Windows)
ST Control Panel: funny imitation of the GEM accessory (Windows)
Parameters: can control some emulation parameters in settings (Windows)
Emulation of high resolution bottom border removal (Windows + Linux)
STF can run TOS 2.06 (Windows + Linux)
AdSpeed emulation for Mega ST (Windows + Linux)
Turbo button works for Mega ST too (Windows + Linux)
Mouse auto-release (Windows)
DM option Protect image files (Windows + Linux)

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I did and fiddled with the settings, and a game I tried didn't register the key asssignments.  :(

You did Port 1 ?, if you did port 0, that's the mouse, I just set arrow keys to be joy 1

and StarRaiders works fine

Edited by TGB1718