IGNORED

Plazmoid 1k for Atari 8bit PAL

Note on saving a few bytes when packing ML programs:

If a ML program consists of several segments, say $3000-32xx, $3300-34xx, $9000-9xxx, $A000-Axxx and these do not use Init adresses, one can pack every segment, BUT one can also save a few bytes and depacking time, by first appending all these segments into one long segment ($3000-Axxx) and then packing only this one long segment. If packing every segment, the depacker and depacking code is used several times, this costs a few bytes more of memory, also depacking 4-5 short segments takes longer than depacking only one long segment.

Meaning:

- your Plazmoid_1kb_A8_version2.xex version above has a length of approx. 7.5 KBytes and several packed segments

- my packed Plazmo2.XEX version has a length of approx. 6.5 KBytes and only one packed segment

I simply took your unpacked Plazmoid2.OBX above, appended all segments into one long segment and packed this segment with Exomizer, then saved the result as Plazmo2.XEX. This one works with my Atari 800XL and most DOS, Gamedos and Bootloader versions. (Most A8 gamedos and bootloader versions require $0700-09FF, some a bit more, some a bit less, so even if you prefer using a Gamedos you should not use this memory area.) Also added a segment $0400-0447, this does several things: It switches off Atari Basic, clears page zero, clears RAM under Basic; of course this was not done by me, since I am no programmer, Fandal did this page 4 routine.

Plazmo2.xex

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

thanks for packing. that one segment was next on my list when assembling with opt f+ but first I don't get it why it does not run on my 65xe properly.

yours work on my machine. so could be the packing. interesting. 

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Does your 65XE have any upgrades ? Maybe one of them does not like the memory area used.

A few days ago, I discovered, that there are programs that do not like either Covox or just hardware using $D6xx; one of these programs was the shoot-em-up Lethal Weapon, when Covox was active at $D6xx the gamescreen displayed garbage, when it was switched off (luckily this can be done in Subcart) the game worked fine. Afaik, VBXE can also use $D6xx, so Lethal Weapon most-likely will not work with VBXE at $D6xx page (but I cannot test it, since I do not own VBXE).

Similar effects can be seen with other programs and upgrades like Sophia, Rapidus or 65816/65802, stereo Pokey, etc.

And sometimes it is just the Option key (Basic off) or that memory at page 0, page 1 or memory under Basic was not cleared (or Antic, GTIA, Pokey was not initialized).

P.S.: With Exomizer I used page 5 for depacker and page 4 for buffer to create the packed Plazma2.XEX version.

Posted (edited)

nah. it seems exomizer. @CharlieChaplin what packer did you use? because your file works. ah got your PS while I was posting. let me try the same.

well.... it seems my settings in Superpacker using Exomizer. still not found the right settings even mimic the settings of Charlie.

Edited by Heaven/TQA