IGNORED

Question for all you Hardware Guru's

I am trying to eliminate the P-Box and retain as much functionality as I can.

Here is what I would like to be able to do:

1. Load programs/games onto a SD Card/flash drive and be able to run them without owning every single TI Module that came out.

2. Be able to test XB programs that I write (or others) on my main computer and run with Classic99. I would like to run them when completed on an actual TI Console.

Here is what I already own:

1. TI-99/4A Console (of course LOL)

2. Speech Synthesizer

3. Flat screen monitor with AV Inputs and speakers

4. TI AV cable

5. TI to Dual Atari 2600 Joystick Port Adapter

6. Atari 2600 Joystick

7. TI Cassette Recorder with Cable

I have read that there is a 32k box that connects to the side port. I've also read about a cartridge that accepts SD cards that runs "some" programs.

So oh hardware guru's please steer me to the best way to do what I want without breaking my bank LOL. I thank thee for your time with posting stuff that I could have probably looked up myself. The only reason I am asking for fresh info is that so often stuff that was available a few months/years ago is no longer available and I do not want to buy old stuff if better has come out.

THANKS in advance!

What Gary said. :) The TIPI is marvelous as it gives you the equivalent of a disk system without a PEB, AND you can use your home WiFi to upload your programs from Classic99 directly to it. I wrote and tested Realms of Antiquity that way.

• Like 2

On the 32K side, you might be better off buying the sidecar SAMS board instead of a regular 32K board when you decide to buy a TIPI. If you want to run @adamantyr's Realms of Antiquity, you'll need that extra memory, and there are a reasonable number of utilities, languages, and games that work better with it as well.

• Like 1

Let me plug @JasonACT's Pico PEB.  Full thread here: 

Here's my summary of the feature set:

- Speech Synthesizer implementation
- 32KB / SAMS / Myarc Foundation Memory
- GRAM/GROM Cartridge + Multi-bank RAM/ROM + MiniMem-RAM
- USB subsystem keyboard + joystick + mouse
- Disk image (.dsk) + TI Files (on SD) support
- Network clock
- RS232 - Via Pico's free Serial2 port
- P-Code Card implementation
- And more... see the file "PPEB2.ino" in the Pico PEB download zip for more details

The Pico PEB features are controlled/ enabled via a configuration file as well as TI BASIC commands. 

Currently this is a DIY project, so nobody is selling these.  You have to build one (or have someone build it for you).  There is probably a handful of users (4 including Jason, that I know of).

Edit Here's a picture of one that I built, it plugs into the TI's side expansion port:

build-3.thumb.jpg.999263396979c6600157ed177795b824.jpg

• Like 3

@chue you beat me to it. But yes there is this one, of which I have built 3 and slowly working on a 4th. But the author @JasonACT has stipulated that these are not to be sold for profit, so you must build it yourself or find someone willing to build it for you at cost.

There is also the APEDSK99 by @JJB, and I do have some interface boards that can be built, but it needs a Arduino UNO and Ethernet/SD shield to be functional after you build it. It is also talked about here on Atariage. 

Then there is one called the ti994a-rom-grom-ram-and-floppy-emulator talked about here that is a build it yourself board. I've done a protoboard and am currently waiting for some PCB to be shipped to make the interface to the TI. When I get those and determine that it is a viable option then I will release the Kicad files to the universe. So yes there are other slightly cheaper options and some are probably in the works right @speccery?

Edited by RickyDean
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JB Freeware said:

So like 1 and 2? Kinda expensive.

Use emulation then?  Or stick with your PEB.  Or sell the PEB to pay for the TIPI...

This is a hobby, so spending lots of money is pretty much in the definition.  These devices are made by regular people here in the community who put a lot of their own time, money, and effort into creating the devices.  And then even more time and effort to make them into some thing people can just buy and plug in.  This is no small effort and it is not cheap.  People selling and supporting their devices deserve to recuperate the time and life they gave up to make it available for others.

I'm sure the designs for the TIPI and SAMS are out there for anyone who wants to make their own PCB and assemble the devices.

1 hour ago, JB Freeware said:

If I had to buy in order which would you get first

Don't know, I bought them both.

Posted (edited)

Sorry if I came across as cheap. I understand that most of these products should cost much more. I don't have an issue buying up but I guess the word expensive left my lips when thinking of buying everything at the same time.

I already made a emulator box that plays most of the module games on my TV. I also made one and placed it in a laptop so I have a portable retro game system playing thousands of arcade, computer and console games.

What I cannot do with the emulator box is play disk or cassette games. I cannot even load up my TOD Editor. When I went to a few meetings of the Chicago TI User Group, our hardware guru had some small items hooked up to the console and he did not need the huge PBox. I want that I said to myself and assumed in my head that something with a few chips could not cost very much. Please forgive me for being so naive. So here is my problem....

Back in 1982 at the Lane Technical High School, I took a class in electronics. The entire final class grade depended upon you building your own electronic kit and submitting it. So I looked through the provided catalog and at the time being fairly proficient in many of the early trades as well as already writing games for the TI, I selected the most expensive, and most difficult, item in the catalog. I was a cocky SOB! I selected an electronic clock with a full modern red led display. It was quite expensive at $59.95 but I begged for the money from my parents who both worked as they had six children. So why the long story? Well I worked on that project for weeks in class and in the end it never did work. I got a d- for the class, my instructor feeling sorry for me as having paid so much and trying so hard so instead of failing me he passed me. At this point I became skittish even going near a soldering iron.

Years later I would venture back to using a soldering iron but only for connecting two wires, I never trusted myself again near solid state circuitry.

So the thought of spending a few hundred bucks to solder chips to a board, while seeming easy for you, gives me nightmares :)

I'd love the all in one beta device but until the author of the plans allows someone to at least tip the builder, I guess I have some thinking to do *smiles*

Thank you all so very much for all your wonderful comments and suggestions. I'll start putting some money aside for the commercial options. I'd love to have my setup running for the TI Faire in October.

Sorry for the long story. I have been told I tend to get a bit wordy on some of my posts.

Edited by JB Freeware
  • Like 4

I like the all in one speech sys route but everything seems to be sold out. Does this stuff come back in stock eventually?

Let me see if I picked out what I need guys:

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/Combo-32k-TIPI-pcb/p/202179717/category=115338525

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/3d-printed-speech-synth-case-for-combo-tipi-32k-board/p/372688853/category=51383217

(Can I use an old Speech Synth case for part 2?)

10 minutes ago, JB Freeware said:

I like the all in one speech sys route but everything seems to be sold out. Does this stuff come back in stock eventually?

Let me see if I picked out what I need guys:

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/Combo-32k-TIPI-pcb/p/202179717/category=115338525

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/3d-printed-speech-synth-case-for-combo-tipi-32k-board/p/372688853/category=51383217

(Can I use an old Speech Synth case for part 2?)

Best to send a PM message to @arcadeshopper as some items he builds on order so he can tell you what is available.

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, JB Freeware said:

I am trying to eliminate the P-Box and retain as much functionality as I can.

I'm guessing that you don't actually have a PEB, and your usage of the word retain vs. attain, was a grammatical impasse.

3 hours ago, JB Freeware said:

I got a d- for the class, my instructor feeling sorry for me as having paid so much and trying so hard so instead of failing me he passed me.

Where I attended technical school, they had bolted the test instruments together, using metal bars. This defeated the isolation called for in the building/testing of the AM/FM Radio kit. For those whom did not over-drain the supplied HI-WATT, carbon battery, most measurements were nearly in-range, and they were able to complete the labs successfully. For those whom used a brand-new replacement alkaline battery, and took a bit longer to complete the test, a smoked resistor defeated their efforts. The teacher suggested that I was wrong about the isolation issue. After I showed that the continuity between the instruments normally isolated grounding terminals was ZERO Ohms, he argued that I was wrong, stating, "you can't use one Multimeter to test another" ...the class of course agreed... and all laughed at me.:dunce: When I showed the potential between the two separately grounded test points, he claimed it was caused by a shorted transistor. Though when I repaired the circuit by replacing the predicted resistor, with my own, well, at least the tune on the radio changed.;)

3 hours ago, JB Freeware said:

I'd love the all in one beta device but until the author of the plans allows someone to at least tip the builder, I guess I have some thinking to do *smiles*

Fairly certain that the designers wishes, in no way impinge on my sovereign right to except as much monies as you are willing to pay me in compensation for my expertise! The true issue being that I have neither the time nor the resources.:-D Sorry.

5 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Fairly certain that the designers wishes, in no way impinge on my sovereign right to except as much monies as you are willing to pay me in compensation for my expertise!

Correct.  I just don't want them showing up on ebay or in an online shop - and then be expected to support people in my thread who really don't have anyone else to go to when there are issues with "their TI".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do have a PBox. I just do not have the room for it. I have room for the TI and I purchased a small flat screen monitor that actual still has AV inputs but my primary setup is a modern computer with printers, 3d printers and the like thus why even finding space for the TI is/was a challenge. The PBox is just too big. If there was ever a modern flexable cable developed that would allow the placement of the PBox to go on the floor, well that would be different :)

JasonACT... I fully understand your position. If a 3rd party decides to mass (well maybe mass is too strong a word LOL) produce these, you should not be expected to support these. The problem with your stance (and I understand it fully) is that so many people in the community are in the position of not being able to assemble these. It's such a shame that your work might go unused because no one is going to produce these things for free.

Might I suggest that you reconsider and perhaps require a disclaimer placed in every sale stating that all support will come from the company that sold the product? In fact you should be rewarded for your hard work with a piece of the action so to speak. Having said this I can fully appreciate and respect your position but I would be lying if I did not admit that I would love to purchase your device assembled.

Home Automation... I always suspected that my LED Clock "kit" was defective from the factory. I followed every step but in the end my grade was my grade and it really upset me so much that when college came, instead of enrolling in a trade electronics course, I ended up going into programming. So that stupid kit fail altered my life.... I like my life so no regrets :)

Gary... I'll do just that. Maybe there is a list of those waiting and if I add my name it might spark some interest.

Thanks again everyone for the excellent advise and dialog!

• Like 4

I had 4.0 for the first 3 semesters. I ended-up taking the final test(given on the last day) in another classroom, looks like The-Kids, turned in a phony failing test for me... It brought my otherwise perfect GPA, down to about 3.67, if I recall correctly ...never was able to get a copy of any test. But it seems unlikely, being that I had the instructor's red check-mark, on every single question posed throughout the course, a something that came in handy when they tried to expel me for poor attendance. Finally conceding that the "student-teacher had corrected his forms improperly"! At least the grade isn't printed on my Diploma, issued by the New York State Department of Education. Yes! I'm a DTO... I still haven't a clue what that actually stands for. The course was titled Digital Test Technician.:?:

• Like 2

I find it isn't that bad support-wise to let people build and sell the TIPI. I generally encourage raising the price too. It has to be worthwhile for the builders out there. 

I keep all notifications from Atariage disabled, and don't use any other social media. So I only butt in and help here when I am curious. A lot of the support ends up being provided by the primary builder, and the community. But it is true that the eBay builders don't provide any support. I still think they are a win-win,

- I'm not obligated

- the device remains available 

- more people end up using it

- and the 4A 

- variants were created

I did build the first couple small batches which covered my R&D and tooling costs. 

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

A lot of the support ends up being provided by the primary builder, and the community. But it is true that the eBay builders don't provide any support.

I expect the builders will support the product for build problems.  Otherwise, I see the point: I build servers, but I cannot support your Windows Server installation as part of that build.  (I mean, technically I can, but that is a separate service.)

The community, bottom-up, support model is the underpinning of many fine products which otherwise might have never been developed.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, JB Freeware said:

Sorry if I came across as cheap. I understand that most of these products should cost much more. I don't have an issue buying up but I guess the word expensive left my lips when thinking of buying everything at the same time.

*nods*

Sorry if I came across harsh.  It always sounds better and kinder in person.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, matthew180 said:

*nods*

Sorry if I came across harsh.  It always sounds better and kinder in person.

No worries my friend. I know full well how text based communication lacks the inflections of speech in regard to imparting the tone of the conversation. I was more worried about myself coming across as a cheap SOB :)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JB Freeware said:

I do have a PBox. I just do not have the room for it. I have room for the TI and I purchased a small flat screen monitor that actual still has AV inputs but my primary setup is a modern computer with printers, 3d printers and the like thus why even finding space for the TI is/was a challenge. The PBox is just too big. If there was ever a modern flexable cable developed that would allow the placement of the PBox to go on the floor, well that would be different :)

How about the 838-IO Plus from Shift838?  It eliminates the "fire-hose" cable that sucks up a lot of desk space.  The cable comes out the back of the unit.  You can get it with a five-foot-long cable and put the PE Box where you want or have room.

K-R.

• Like 2

So many great options. I think I'm going to take my time and think about them and what my goal is regarding the TI. Since I can already play most of the cartridges on my https://batocera.org/  system, as I said this would only be for running disk or cassette based games. If Classic99 can run those then the actual TI unit with PBox becomes nothing more than a nostalgia machine and without the room to have it on permanent display, I'll need to think about spending a few hundred bucks on modding the TI.

I'm going to open up and examine the PBox and test it. Let me see how well it works and if I can find a place for the box on the floor, that cable solution might be best depending on the condition of the PBox.

You all have been so great with all this excellent info. I so hope to meet some of you at the Chicago TI Faire if you are able to make the trek up (or down LOL) here in October!