IGNORED

Shipping from Best to UK .. via Freight Forwarder

I have got a quote from Best (relatively painless process so far) for some 8bit items, notably my 2 x Antic chips that seem to have failed (plus a new 400 keyboard while I'm at it).

His recommendation is to ship to a "freight forwarder" on the east coast USA, to then get cheaper postage to the UK.

Sounds reasonable. I have found one forwarder (Stackry) which doesn't require a membership fee.

Anyone done this and used this company? Or recommend another?

31 minutes ago, spacedmonkeys said:

I have got a quote from Best (relatively painless process so far) for some 8bit items, notably my 2 x Antic chips that seem to have failed (plus a new 400 keyboard while I'm at it).

His recommendation is to ship to a "freight forwarder" on the east coast USA, to then get cheaper postage to the UK.

Sounds reasonable. I have found one forwarder (Stackry) which doesn't require a membership fee.

I last used myus.com in 2021 and found them to be cheapest among those I found then. Most don’t require a membership unless you want to consolidate several shipments. (Last time I used consolidation I went on a shopping spree to spread the cost ;-) ). What is best may depend on warehouse location if shipping to a location closer to Best results in less postage on his part but there are some states where he doesn’t have to charge sales tax so what is best may depend on the value of the order as well.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spacedmonkeys said:

That's interesting. He said something along the same lines when I last made an enquiry. No idea what he meant, though, so you've cleared that up for me at least.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone else ever wants to do this, I can tell you it worked out fine.

Ordered with Best. Delivered to Stackry mailbox in New Hampshire. Then sent from there to the UK with FedEx, although bizarrely it seemed to go via Sweden. Delivered by Royal Mail. Whole process was about 15 days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2024 at 9:50 AM, spacedmonkeys said:

I still have a lot of new old stock Antics both NTSC and PAL.

Shipping from The Netherlands to the UK will probably be a lot easier and cheaper 😉

Send me a PM if you are interested.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2024 at 4:37 PM, spacedmonkeys said:

although bizarrely it seemed to go via Sweden

I have seen some weird shipping routes, too. Got this package from China which after a day or two arrived in Luik/Liège, Belgium, which is very close to the Dutch border. But instead of hopping over the border by freight train, it first went to Paris, and then to Amsterdam. Both by plane :)

On 5/1/2024 at 7:52 PM, ivop said:

I have seen some weird shipping routes, too. Got this package from China which after a day or two arrived in Luik/Liège, Belgium, which is very close to the Dutch border. But instead of hopping over the border by freight train, it first went to Paris, and then to Amsterdam. Both by plane :)

Probably cargo space brokers going for the cheapest rates available on the day, like flying stand-by. Crazy. 

• Like 1