IGNORED

Yars Rising (by Atari+WayForward) - (in VCS Store)

marss

1 hour ago, PowerDubs said:

Found two things of interest....

Interesting 132.185.6.6 is the BBC

WHOIS:

inetnum:        132.185.0.0 - 132.185.255.255
netname:        BBC
descr:          British Broadcasting Corporation
descr:          *******************************************************
descr:          * This address space is used for BBC Staff members *
descr:          * accessing the internet. In case of any problems *
descr:          * with users of this address space (spam, attacks, *
descr:          * illegal activity, etc) please email abuse@bbc.co.uk *
descr:          *******************************************************
admin-c:        BBC-RIPE
tech-c:         BBC-RIPE
mnt-by:         BBC-MNT
created:        1970-01-01T00:00:00Z
last-modified:  2019-12-04T13:06:01Z
source:         RIPE

45 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

hahha.... yea, I sent Atari a mention of that yesterday...just in case it was a mistake.

It is the same text as on Neo Sprint so it looks like that page likely got copied and they missed removing it from Yars.

In the food fight game they already had the Yardian character and now they change him for a girl? It seems to me that Atari is wrong with the character design in this game. They had to continue with the characters already created in this new generation. Even so, I will wait to see gameplays of the game to decide whether or not to buy the game.

50 minutes ago, chriSBA28 said:

In the food fight game they already had the Yardian character and now they change him for a girl? It seems to me that Atari is wrong with the character design in this game. They had to continue with the characters already created in this new generation. Even so, I will wait to see gameplays of the game to decide whether or not to buy the game.

To be fair, I would guess that the girl is a Yardian raised by humans, however that sci-fi cliche goes. Also, WayForward is known for Shantae; of course they're gonna have a female protagonist and all that.

I will applaud Atari for actually trying something new and different with their IP.

I'm meh on the character and level design, but like that it isn't just rehashing the same gameplay like Recharged series do.

Most anticipation I've felt for an Atari game for quite awhile. I wished they tried to do more of something like this with Lunar Lander Beyond.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I will applaud Atari for actually trying something new and different with their IP.

I'm meh on the character and level design, but like that it isn't just rehashing the same gameplay like Recharged series do.

Most anticipation I've felt for an Atari game for quite awhile. I wished they tried to do more of something like this with Lunar Lander Beyond.

Seems like these days AAA games are falling flat and smaller games are doing well.   This could be just the right time for Atari to launch a game like this.   We'll see.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zzip said:

Seems like these days AAA games are falling flat and smaller games are doing well.   This could be just the right time for Atari to launch a game like this.   We'll see.

I don't know if falling flat is the right phrase, but I agree. I think some of the bigger game companies would do themselves a favor by focusing more on AA games than high risk AAA.

I know for the hardcore Yar fans, a platformer may not be what they'll want, but it is worth a shot to expand the IP. It isn't like there is zero ways to play the original Yars. So totally worth the shot and I hope it lands well.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:56 AM, marss said:

Am I the only one who saw the two cool Easter egg buildings? One had this one it:

HSW

WSH

The other simply said "Nolan." Nothing like cool shout outs to Howard Scott Warsaw and Nolan Bushnell.

As for the game, it looks like it could be fun. I'm not big on platformers, but I'll check it out for sure when it releases.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 12:21 PM, zzip said:

I think one of the problems with a lot of AAA games are the scummy practices of the studios who make them. Releasing incomplete and buggy games with huge downloads, followed by huge updates to fix the bugs (some of which never get fixed) and then paid DLC to complete the games. Plus, some of them include online stores where you can pay real money to buy stuff, and borderline gambling with things like loot boxes. By comparison, a lot of smaller games are released complete and with as few bugs as possible, because they're made by studios who actually still care, and who also know they won't have a guaranteed sale on the name of their studio alone. And, they will sell the game, which costs way less to produce than a AAA title, at a fair price to recoup production costs and usually not include things like paid DLC, online stores or loot boxes. It's just a more authentic game experience, especially for those of us who grew up in pre-internet days of gaming.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

Am I the only one who saw the two cool Easter egg buildings? One had this one it:

HSW

WSH

The other simply said "Nolan." Nothing like cool shout outs to Howard Scott Warsaw and Nolan Bushnell.

As for the game, it looks like it could be fun. I'm not big on platformers, but I'll check it out for sure when it releases.

Nice spot!  I had to pause the trailer to see them.

On 4/25/2024 at 9:28 AM, scifidude79 said:

I think one of the problems with a lot of AAA games are the scummy practices of the studios who make them. Releasing incomplete and buggy games with huge downloads, followed by huge updates to fix the bugs (some of which never get fixed) and then paid DLC to complete the games. Plus, some of them include online stores where you can pay real money to buy stuff, and borderline gambling with things like loot boxes. By comparison, a lot of smaller games are released complete and with as few bugs as possible, because they're made by studios who actually still care, and who also know they won't have a guaranteed sale on the name of their studio alone. And, they will sell the game, which costs way less to produce than a AAA title, at a fair price to recoup production costs and usually not include things like paid DLC, online stores or loot boxes. It's just a more authentic game experience, especially for those of us who grew up in pre-internet days of gaming.

I know a lot of people seem to dislike Nintendo around here, but this is why I will typically buy their games and ignore the bigger AAA studios. They may have DLC but you don't feel like you are missing any of the game if you don't buy it.

It will be interesting to see how Yars turns out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just downloaded and played the demo on my Lenovo Legion Go via Steam and its pretty fun! I really hope we get a demo for Yars Rising on the Atari VCS store as this is where i really want to play Yars Rising first, although I'll pick it up on multiple platforms to support Atari of course 🙂.

If it wasn't WayForward I'd be pretty down on this game as it doesn't really seem to have anything to do with Yars, and looks like a cool enough but somewhat generic side scrolling thing. But I'm definitely giving them the benefit of the doubt.

25 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

Looks too anime to me. This was never Atari's style. Maybe they were trying for something different? Either way...

image.jpeg.fe480f3f20d2343005b773dd6a75c468.jpeg

I think there trying something new and different with Yars Rising for sure and maybe looking to draw in a younger audience to with this game. I'm personally looking forward to the game and thoroughly enjoyed the demo so it'll be a day one pick up for me. I could see the game not doing to well with anyone over the age 35 years old due to the styling etc lol definetaly could be one for the younger ones. I think Atari need to try more new stuff like with Yars Rising, they shouldn't stick to the same old same old.

• Like 1